The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If the Martin 000-15 had a 1.75 nut I would likely own one. Not sure why they decided to put neck with dread dimensions on that model?
They use the exact same neck for all of the 14 fret models in the series, so it's purely efficiency and somewhat tradition, but I think the full scale adds a noticeable quality to the tone, as well, so I love that about the 15 series 000 and 00 and formerly the 0.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:44 AM

A few years ago I bought a used Martin OOO-15 and sold it after a few string change because I felt it missed boominess and sustain.
I tried another brand new OOO-15 and a brand new OO-15 and did not feel happy with those either.

Then I tried a Taylor 524 that sounded great but ended buying a 322 (Mahogany/Blackwod) that made me happy.

I more recently got a Martin OODB Jeff Tweedy I do love :
It sounded great with Martin Retro Monel strings and I do not feel I should try something else.

Late Add on : I forgot to mention the old Gibson Lg-0 I once got : a ladder-braced thomping box !

Last edited by mawmow; 08-04-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

When I first started learning to play classical fingerstyle on steel string guitar, hog top guitars were the only guitars that consistently worked for me. I’ve since learned to make spruce and cedar tops work for me as well, but the compression and smoothing the articulation still makes hog top instruments compelling for me.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

My Martin oo-15m is a wonderful compliment to my Martin D-18 and Guild D40.

Last edited by Rad; 03-27-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:42 PM

I was never a fan of mahogany top guitars in general, until I picked up a Taylor Grand Pacific (327e) which is mahogany over Tasmanian Blackwood. This combination is unlike anything else I've played. It doesn't have the same high end bark as, say, Adirondack, but with a little right hand work you can play driving bluegrass to quiet, evocative fingerstyle and never seem to run out of dynamic range. Very unique and versatile guitar.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDR20 View Post
I was never a fan of mahogany top guitars in general, until I picked up a Taylor Grand Pacific (327e) which is mahogany over Tasmanian Blackwood. This combination is unlike anything else I've played. It doesn't have the same high end bark as, say, Adirondack, but with a little right hand work you can play driving bluegrass to quiet, evocative fingerstyle and never seem to run out of dynamic range. Very unique and versatile guitar.
I can absolutely relate and agree.... I never even considered a mahogany top until I played a Taylor 324 ...
Old 08-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I’ve played a few, I own two.
One of my favorite tones to listen to are the clean fundamentals that come out of my deep body all hog Martin 00 (tweedy signature).
I also have a Taylor GC 12 string that also benefited from the all-mahogany compression of overtones, so I believe Mahogany tops produce a fantastic tone.
I read some posts suggesting that the mahogany is a limitation on tone compared with spruce, and I disagree. Spruce is certainly louder I have observed, but tone quality isn’t better or worse, just different
Old 08-03-2021, 05:52 PM

Plenty of good high-end mahogany guitars out there. The Martins and Taylors have already been mentioned, so I'll add on the Breedlove USA "Frontier" and "USA" series, along with the Guild USA M20, M25 and D20.

How much volume and the type of tone you get out of mahogany depends a lot on how thin the builder wants to sand that top and how they brace it. My Breedlove "USA" Concertina is advertised for a "light" playing style with an extra thin top and scalloped bracing. Believe it or not, it has some tonal characteristics of spruce, with more overtones and shimmer than the usual heavy mahogany guitar. It's also very loud, especially considering the body size.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
My Martin oo-15m is a wonderful compliment to my Martin D-18 and Guild D40.
Beautiful. And they record so well too…
Old 08-03-2021, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I have found some hog tops to be uninspiring but not all. Some off the rack 000-15sm's I've played are outstanding. I'm fortunate to have a Martin Custom shop all hog 000. It doesn't really have a Series designation. It's somewhat like a 000-15sm but with dovetail neck joint, gloss nitro finish, rosewood binding/fretboard/bridge and adirondack braces. It's the lightest most vibrant guitar I own. It's bass isn't deep but is nicely present. Overall the frequency response is quite balanced -maybe a slight emphasis on upper-mids- with an overall crisp dryness. It can get quite loud while maintaining its tone when played hard.

Last edited by gmel555; 08-03-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:59 PM

Apologies in advance - this review from Guitarist UK Magazine may have driven me a bit crazy for a while there and in the least has resulted in my buying two hardwood top acoustics...after my previous mahogany top fixation from many years back had lay idle.....it may just drive some of you crazy as well...

Custom Shop Martin 000-14 (all) Sinker Mahogany:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/m...t-mahogany-top

BluesKing77.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

The only hog top I have is an Alvarez AP66 “parlor” but it’s really a 00 sized guitar. Laminate hog back and sides. It definitely has a warmer sounding tone and sounds nice and woody with Daddario nickel bronze strings. Good for fingerpicking folk and blues stuff.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Apologies in advance - this review from Guitarist UK Magazine may have driven me a bit crazy for a while there and in the least has resulted in my buying two hardwood top acoustics...after my previous mahogany top fixation from many years back had lay idle.....it may just drive some of you crazy as well...

Custom Shop Martin 000-14 (all) Sinker Mahogany:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/m...t-mahogany-top

BluesKing77.
BluesKing: If your recent purchase(s) were sinker mahogany what do you think about it? I'll admit while I'm not usually chasing tone woods with special names added, the reports on sinker mahogany seem pretty consistently positive and have caused me some GAS.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
BluesKing: If your recent purchase(s) were sinker mahogany what do you think about it? I'll admit while I'm not usually chasing tone woods with special names added, the reports on sinker mahogany seem pretty consistently positive and have caused me some GAS.
Sorry, the closest I have got to the Sinker Mahogany is the article linked above!
No help then...

BluesKing777.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:52 AM

Thumbs up Hardwood tops.

Yes, I love my 00-15M and I have no issues with the nut width being 1-11/16". I do prefer 1-11/16" to 1-3/4" although I'm quite comfortable with both nut widths. The 00-15m is the guitar I play most. I just like (love) the tone of an all-Mahogany and the sweetness it has.

I think I just like the tone of hardwood tops. I own 3 guitars with hardwood tops; Mahogany, Trembesi (Monkeypod) and Koa.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion