The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Solid Mahogany Tops?

I could be remiss but I haven't seen much AGF thread focus on Solid Mahogany top acoustic guitars.

Over the years I've played a few (Guild D15, Martin 000-15, etc.) and liked them but never really connected with the sound until a couple of years ago - I was taken by surprise by a Taylor 324e (X Braced). The only mahogany top and the only Taylor I own. I believe there's something a bit special about the pairing with Tasmanian Blackwood and the X Braced GA body style.

I was also recently impressed with a Martin D-15M StreetMaster's "voice" at a local shop.

I've seen some (mostly moderately priced) Breedloves, Eastmans, Guilds, Washburns, etc ... It occurred to me I don't seem to see or hear of private custom mahogany top builds.

I'm curious what AGF members own and/or think about Mahogany tops.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 08-02-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:43 PM

My own attitude towards hardwood-topped guitars is that they tend to have a very specific, somewhat limited tone, and they’re often quieter than their spruce-topped equivalents. The ones I’ve had that I liked a lot were Guild D-25M’s: they were very balanced sounding and louder than a lot of mahogany-topped guitars.

Good instruments.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Since the 1960s, I was always quite unimpressed with all hog guitars. Then two things changed my mind. First, a couple of very old Martin 17s. Second, much more recent Santa Cruz 1929 models (00 and 000). Utterly killer.

Oh, and there were two runner-ups: a newish Bedell and an old Favilla. YMMV, of course.

Dirk
Old 08-02-2021, 08:00 PM

Just bought a 000-15 a week or so ago. I can see how it might not be for everyone. But it's definitely for me.

I'm not sure why there's not more all mahogany custom builds...It seems most makers tend to go for very simple aesthetics regarding these guitars...a simple look to go with a "stripped down" kind of sound...ill admit, if thats the marketing angle, it definitely hooked me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-02-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I have a 00-15 (LAGS custom) that I enjoy, 8 yrs old now, played in well, lot's of sustain and can fill the room in volume. Sure records nicely, I think mine is pretty versatile, I can play a wide variety of styles and be happy w/ the sound and response.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:22 PM

Solid Mahogany Tops?

I have one, my Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert, bought used. At one point it was a Fall Limited. Back, sides. top, and neck are mahogany. Bought it because it looked, sounded, and played outstanding. And it is different from most of my other guitars in so many ways, including size. It is however a 'standard' 25.5" scale instrument. Right now I am using it as my 6 string solid wood dedicated DADGAD guitar, which suits it very nicely. My 355 12 string is now also in the same role except as a 12 string, which makes an amazing combination with the DADGAD tuning, being drone central all the way.

Anyway back to the 512. I did get to try it out extensively before purchase and it struck all the right "chords" with me, and I am happy to have it in my 'Heard'. Or to put it another way, another weapon in the (guit)arsenal.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 08-02-2021 at 08:27 PM. Reason: because
Old 08-02-2021, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

I agree with you on the 324. I had one, but gave it up to find something that fit me better, which was a 522, all mahogany. Its the one I pick up when I'm looking for a warm balanced tone.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:37 PM

Bought a Martin 00-17 Authentic 1931 last month. It was my first experience with a hog top. I was completely taken off guard, basically swept off my feet. Very woody sound with no blurring or bloating with incredible detail and sustain.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
I could be remiss but I haven't seen much AGF thread focus on Solid Mahogany top acoustic guitars.

Over the years I've played a few (Guild D15, Martin 000-15, etc.) and liked them but never really connected with the sound until a couple of years ago - I was taken by surprise by a Taylor 324e (X Braced). The only mahogany top and the only Taylor I own. I believe there's something a bit special about the pairing with Tasmanian Blackwood and the X Braced GA body style.

I was also recently impressed with a Martin D-15M StreetMaster's "voice" at a local shop.

I've seen some (mostly moderately priced) Breedloves, Eastmans, Guilds, Washburns, etc ... It occurred to me I don't seem to see or hear of private custom mahogany top builds.

I'm curious what AGF members own and/or think about Mahogany tops.
I've always concidered myself a spruce guy, and never really bothered with "Novelty" wood tops. On a road trip last month I ended up playing both a Koa Taylor, as well as a couple examples of the Martin Streetmaster that you speak of. Loved them all and will have to re-think my attitude in regards to the less common woods.

If the Martin 000-15 had a 1.75 nut I would likely own one. Not sure why they decided to put neck with dread dimensions on that model?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

I own three of the Martin 15 series: D15M, DSS15M (Street master), and a OOO-15sm. All are fabulous guitars. Oh, I forgot, I also own an Alvarez "Parlor" that has a mahogany too. All are keepers!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:47 PM

I like mahogany topped guitars. I’ve been playing for 35 years, but most of that time I was pretty much only an electric player. I had an acoustic or two, but I didn’t take my acoustic playing seriously at all, I had no understanding of the differences between spruce tops and mahogany tops, or rosewood back and sides and mahogany, the differences in tone between PB and 80/20 strings, pick sounds, etc. Ask me about tube amps and fuzz pedals, or Teles vs Les Pauls, I’m you guy! Acoustics, not so much. I owned (and still do) my Seagull S6 simply because it was the cheapest guitar that sounded good to my ear back in 1999.

When I decided a few years ago to really delve into acoustic playing, I traded into a really nice Gibson J-29. Beautiful guitar - a spruce topped dread with rosewood back and sides. Loud, lush, filled with overtones. As I sang over it, I struggled to keep up with the sound of the guitar. It didn’t really fit with my voice. It was just too “big” sounding - it filled all the sonic space.

My wife is Greek, so we spend 6 weeks in the summer in Greece visiting family. I needed a travel guitar. I played a few, and settled on a mahogany topped Taylor GS Mini Mahogany. Quieter than the J-29 (of course), simpler tone. All of a sudden, I had no problem singing with my acoustic. My voice settled in with the tone of the guitar without trouble. It was a revelation to me (I’m not too bright) - a smaller guitar with a mahogany top might be the answer! I learned more songs to sing that summer than I had in my entire playing life.

When I got home, I sold the J-29 and picked up a Martin 000-15m, and there it was. Simple tone, easy to sing with, smaller body that was easier to play than my dread. String it with Monel strings and it’s got the sound.

I’m a fan. Take the right smaller bodied mahogany topped guitar, string it up with Monel strings, play with a thicker pick (BC TD 40 or 50) and that’s the sound I dig. A simpler sound that doesn’t get in the way of my voice. TBH, I’m not sure it’s all the mahogany top - I’ve played some smaller bodied guitars with mahogany back and sides and a spruce top that worked well for me - but mahogany tops seem to be universal in that I can get on with them.

Now if I had only known that I really need 1 3/4” nut width and a thicker neck… I’m learning (slowly) what works for me. Mahogany guitars work.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 08-03-2021, 02:16 AM

Instead of giving a blurb that sounds like we are buying wine, I will say it - mahogany tops and other hardwood top guitars are fantastic for playing acoustic blues fingerpicking!

A recent mission of mine found me buying a new all mahogany Martin OMC-15ME (OM15 with cutaway and pickup) and last week, a fabulous new Maton EBW-808 (all Australian Blackwood deep body 00 with sensation Maton pickup).

BluesKing777.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:48 AM

My favorite tone is an all mahogany guitar and combined with my favorite body size, 00, is why I chose my Collings.

It’s tone is more complex than the Martin 000-15S I just sold, which was a wonderful guitar in its own right.

Cheers

George
Old 08-03-2021, 03:39 AM

I bought the Faith 'Mars' after one strum. For years I was wedded to spruce/rosewood/mahogany combinations probably more from habit than anything else, but the all-mahogany build changed my attitude completely.
Demo...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkzFzBa_nfY
Many describe mahogany tone as 'warm' or 'subdued', but in the Mars I found brightness aplenty, albeit without the 'edge' of spruce, with a 'roundness' to the trebles, great balance, long sustain and good note separation. Harmonics are also present to enhance sustained notes and chords, but are much less front and centre than your typical spruce/rosewood combination, for example.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I still have my D15 after 12 years. Warm, and ... home. Just a fantastic guitar. Tone can vary quite a bit with string choice too!. Nickel... PB... 80/20 choose your sound.

I also owned a DSS15 Streetmaster a few years ago. That was also a great guitar, and surprisingly sounded very close to a D-18. It was a loud guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion