The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 PM

Default Wanted: opinions on a Alvarez Yairi

hey Guys,

Was looking for feedback and comments on Alvarez Yairi wy1k acoustic electric.
It looks beautiful, was wondering how the tone and sound is? any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated

thank you

ps....... here are some specs I found on the ad

https://reverb.com/item/787545-exc-u...ic-guitar-w-hc

Exc. used Alvarez Yairi WY1K acoustic/electric guitar w/ HC

Handcrafted in an old-fashioned workshop in a Japanese mountain village under the personal guidance of master luthier Kazuo Yairi, Alvarez Yairi guitars are made with extremely choice tonewoods. The woods are naturally air dried and crafted into instruments with individually hand-shaped bracing and dovetail neck joints. This Alvarez WY1K model is constructed of premium Hawaiian koa for a completely unique look and warm, powerful tone.

Yairi's brilliant design innovations include an extended neck tenon for a wider range of rod adjustment and no neck/body irregularities. A unique coupled bridge design removes the forward pull from the bridge itself for greater stability and lighter bracing, leading to freer tone.

This Virtuoso model comes with the expressive System 500 electronics for premium acoustic-electric amplification. Other enhancements include a bound ebony fretboard, abalone rosette, multiple body binding, bound ebony headstock veneer, and gold die-cast tuners with amber buttons.

Last edited by offeringplate; 07-14-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:29 PM

Alvarez Yari has always been very high quality, and I don't see why this one should be any different.

My first guitar was an Alvarez Regent (5212 student model dread), and it had a ton of features for the price point (adjustable bridge, sealed tuners, compensated saddle, sounded really good for a lower end guitar). The place I bought it from was an Alvarez dealer, and the two owners both had Yaris. I lusted over those guitars, every time I'd go in for a lesson I'd be in awe of the tone and depth of sound, the beautiful woods and inlays.

I'd say go for it!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:22 AM

I've never played a WY1K but I do own a WY1. It's a very nice guitar.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that WY1K's have laminate tops. This may not be an issue for you, but you might want to check this.

The WY1 (and I assume the WY1K) were mainly designed to be played plugged in. So they have excellent electronics, sound great plugged in, and are feedback resistant.

The WY1 is also a very comfortable guitar to play and sounds good unplugged, but it is not as loud or rich-sounding as a dreadnought of comparable price.

If you are planning on playing the WY1K mostly plugged in, it is probably a great guitar for you. If you are planning on playing mostly unplugged, I would personally be looking at a different Yairi model, like one of their regular folk models or maybe a dread.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post
I've never played a WY1K but I do own a WY1. It's a very nice guitar.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that WY1K's have laminate tops. This may not be an issue for you, but you might want to check this.

The WY1 (and I assume the WY1K) were mainly designed to be played plugged in. So they have excellent electronics, sound great plugged in, and are feedback resistant.

The WY1 is also a very comfortable guitar to play and sounds good unplugged, but it is not as loud or rich-sounding as a dreadnought of comparable price.

If you are planning on playing the WY1K mostly plugged in, it is probably a great guitar for you. If you are planning on playing mostly unplugged, I would personally be looking at a different Yairi model, like one of their regular folk models or maybe a dread.
I agree with the quote above. The WY series guitars were designed with Bob Weir, of Greatful Dead fame, to be primarily a stage guitar. They have a good reputation for being pretty much bulletproof with good electronics and playability.
Joe Bonnamassa plays one as part of his acoustic set sometimes.
If you are looking primarily for an unplugged good sounding guitar, you probably would be better following Geof S's advice.

P.S.: If you are looking for an all solid wood Yairi you need to look at models with an 'M' designation in the model number, such as DYM70.
The 'M' stands for Masterworks and indicates solid wood back, sides and top.
Also standard Alvarez guitars are not built in the same place as Yairi guitars. Be sure that there is a 'Y' in the model number and also Yairis have the A/Y logo on the headstock.

Last edited by architype; 07-15-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM

These guitars had solid tops laminated sides and back. This is an older model you may want to look for the 600 series preamp. Or, if you can afford it the new ones have a B band preamp that is outstanding but you will need to boost the signal. You can see by my signature line I have some nice guitar but forgetting my tobacco Sunburst WY1 is my main gigging guitar. I think they are fantastic guitars that are an even better value. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 07-15-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
These guitars had solid tops laminated sides and back.
I seem to recall from when I was looking at these models that the Koa model is the exception, and that the top is laminated as well. But my recollection could be wrong.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:27 PM

I honestly don't know but wouldn't let that stop me from getting a koa WY1. Yairi didn't use laminates as to cut corners.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 07-15-2015, 07:47 PM

thank you for all the comments and info, as your insight just saved and helped me so much. Im searching for a solid top guitar that has great tone both acoustically and plugged in, but will def play more unplugged, in fact I've almost considered finding one without electronics, but for the money nowadays, might as well get the goods

I wondered about that with this guitar, as I like the look, lol but you cant always judge a book by its cover. and that really means nothing, but in the appearance.

I will take Geof's advice and keep searching as I really want deep rich tones and will play mostly unplugged. For a $1000 should be able to get something more of what im looking for. I have also considered Breedlove, GuilD, PRS and Taylor, but really only want to spend 800-1000...........

thanks again for you time and comments

-O
Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offeringplate View Post
thank you for all the comments and info, as your insight just saved and helped me so much. Im searching for a solid top guitar that has great tone both acoustically and plugged in, but will def play more unplugged, in fact I've almost considered finding one without electronics, but for the money nowadays, might as well get the goods

I wondered about that with this guitar, as I like the look, lol but you cant always judge a book by its cover. and that really means nothing, but in the appearance.

I will take Geof's advice and keep searching as I really want deep rich tones and will play mostly unplugged. For a $1000 should be able to get something more of what im looking for. I have also considered Breedlove, GuilD, PRS and Taylor, but really only want to spend 800-1000...........

thanks again for you time and comments

-O
You can get a new Alvarez master works guitar in that price range. Not a Yairi, but still a very good guitar that is all solid wood back sides and top. Plus you get a warranty. You will probably have to do a bit of searching. I would recommend contacting Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta. They are an Alvarez dealer with a good reputation for good service and online sales.
Good luck!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Personally i feel Yairi guitars are one of the most UNDER-RATED guitar brands going. Kazuo Yairi passed away last February, so they ain't making the good ones anymore.

Dan
Old 07-16-2015, 01:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
Personally i feel Yairi guitars are one of the most UNDER-RATED guitar brands going. Kazuo Yairi passed away last February, so they ain't making the good ones anymore.

Dan
Dan, thanks, but I don't believe this is correct. In fact I'm certain it's not, unless something has changed in the last few months. His widow and daughter and son-in-law, along with the Yairi luthiers he has trained for decades, are all going forward with the line.

Below is a quote from the official obit/press release on the Alvarez website, followed by a link to the full obit:

"Mr. Yairi leaves his wife, daughter and son in law and two granddaughters, and many loyal colleagues, some of which he has worked with more than 50 years. His legacy will live on through the hands of the craftspeople and luthiers he has trained, and his company will continue, managed by his family."

http://alvarezguitars.com/master-lut...-dies-aged-81/

Here's another quote from a different obit:

"Kazuo Yairi’s death leaves his family in charge at Kani, to continue traditional guitar production into the next generation. He is survived by his wife and daughter."

Here's the full article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html

So it would be incorrect to say that the Yairi line of handmade guitars died with its founder. They go forward.

I'm sure Mr. Yairi would be proud to know that his family continues his legacy.

Scott M.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:13 AM

In point of fact, there are a number of Masterworks guitars on Reverb.
I have an MD70ce that I acquired via Reverb.
It is simply one of the finest guitars I've ever played.
I feel priveledged to own it.
It sounds good plugged in and unplugged.

I believe that dollar for dollar, you'd have to go some to beat a Masterworks Alvarez.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 05-23-2022, 08:49 AM

I've had the Alvarez Yairi WY1K for about 14 years. I love it. It is by far the best neck feel and action of any guitar I have ever played -- mine with silk and steel string and very low action. The preamp is very full featured -- notch, level phase 3-EQ 2-ch blend mid sweep treb and bass adjust and also allows for a second source like a passive magnet or powered magnet or mic (like Schertler mag/mic with a button battery) in addition to the piezo. Also, the individual saddles for each string really helps with individual string sonics. It's the only saddle I haven't changed over and over again. Mine is Koa is gorgeous. A guitar made for performing for sure.

And I have too many. I'm selling it here.

https://reverb.com/item/55754198-alv...inal-hard-case

Youtube
Spotify
Tidal
ResultsManagementGroup and deepwork.coach

Last edited by Tapping; 06-26-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:00 AM

Alvarez Yairis are among the finest made production guitars made anywhere period. Something to note is the layering process they utilize in their models without an M in the model name is unlike what most, if not all other companies do. Instead of three layers with the middle layers being a different wood, Yairis have two layers of the same wood adhered together with the grain going in the same direction. My WY1TS sounds like an all solid Rosewood and Cedar guitar. If I hadn't been aware I'd never know it had layered back and sides. The workmanship is top notch and the direct coupled bridge is pure genius. The bridges on these guitar will never lift because they simply can't by design.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 05-23-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Dan, thanks, but I don't believe this is correct. In fact I'm certain it's not, unless something has changed in the last few months. His widow and daughter and son-in-law, along with the Yairi luthiers he has trained for decades, are all going forward with the line.

Below is a quote from the official obit/press release on the Alvarez website, followed by a link to the full obit:

"Mr. Yairi leaves his wife, daughter and son in law and two granddaughters, and many loyal colleagues, some of which he has worked with more than 50 years. His legacy will live on through the hands of the craftspeople and luthiers he has trained, and his company will continue, managed by his family."

http://alvarezguitars.com/master-lut...-dies-aged-81/

Here's another quote from a different obit:

"Kazuo Yairi’s death leaves his family in charge at Kani, to continue traditional guitar production into the next generation. He is survived by his wife and daughter."

Here's the full article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html

So it would be incorrect to say that the Yairi line of handmade guitars died with its founder. They go forward.

I'm sure Mr. Yairi would be proud to know that his family continues his legacy.

Scott M.
You are absolutely correct. The way these guitars are made and the level of quality and craftsmanship has not changed at all with the passing of Kazuo Yairi. It especially lives on in the HD series because of the Honduran Mahogany he squirreled away for decades before it was discovered. While not cheap, these guitars would probably sell for north of 4000.00 dollars if they were American made. Dedicated, highly skilled luthiers don't just live in the US.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion