The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Seagull S6 Original - (hard to fret)

Need some advice. I have always wanted to learn to the play the guitar and after 38 years finally took the plunge and bought my first guitar two weeks ago. Without knowing anything about what to buy I went straight to Guitar Center and on my dad’s advice bought a Seagull Original S6. With two weeks experience under my belt and a firm grasp of a few chords and fingers that are starting to callous I headed down to the local guitar store yesterday to kill some time and play around. I had read that when you first start it is painful on the fingers and I’m glad to see that my fingers are starting to callous but I was a little dismayed when I left the guitar store yesterday that some other guitars were so much easier to fret than my Seagull S6 Original. Some of the Taylors and Martins took so little pressure to fret compared to my Seagul. I did a little research on the internet last night and apparently the action is a little high on the Seaguls and some others mentioned that the neck/nut width (I think) on the Seaguls make them a little more difficult for a beginner to learn. It is all I can do to make a barre chord on my Seagul and yet I found even this much easier on some others. I messed around with quite a few guitars and the Taylors (really liked the 210e) just seemed so much easier to fret. Don’t get me wrong as the sound coming out of the Seagul is wonderful but I need this to be a pleasant (non painful) learning experience. At this point I’m debating as to whether I should get some new strings and have an “action job” done on my Seagull or just return it and get a Taylor or Martin that seems so much more pleasant to fret. I just don’t know of anyone really qualified to lower the action on my Seagull so I’m leaning towards returning it and getting another guitar. The guy at the store I was at yesterday mentioned that he could play with the truss rod to lower the action but I’ve read on hear that playing with the truss rod is not the proper way to adjust the action so I don’t know if this guy really knows what he is talking about. I’m in a quandary at this point. Seems like a lot of people on here much prefer the Martins over the Taylors but wow that Taylor 210e seemed so easy to fret and to my “newbie” ears sounded very nice. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Simple. Get a setup. Seaguls come from the factory with a bit highter action then some. (Some like it that way) Getting a new guitar just to get lower action really makes no sense. You do not want people "playing with your guiter". You want someone that knows what they are doing. Do you know anyone else who plays guitar in your area. They may be able to recommend someone. You need to find someone to do a proper setup for you to make it easier to play.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Seagulls come with 12-53 guitar strings on them. You could try a lighter set 11s, 10s or even 9s! They would be easier on the hand. Lighter strings exert less tension on the neck and so using a lighter set can reduce the action a little more.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 AM

i have a brand new S6 QI. it definitely needs to be set up post purchase. don't return it because most of new guitars will need to be set up and adjusted for playability anyways. they all come with high action because it's easier to lower than to raise. just take it to a local guitar shop and have it set up. btw the strings that come on the S6, i believe they're Godin HD strings, they're really stiff and hard to fret anyways, and who knows how long they have been on your guitar. i'd recommend going elixir nanos, perhaps custom light when you get the setup done as a string change will be performed.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRC View Post
...The guy at the store I was at yesterday mentioned that he could play with the truss rod to lower the action but I’ve read on hear that playing with the truss rod is not the proper way to adjust the action so I don’t know if this guy really knows what he is talking about.
You're correct. The truss rod is used for relief and should be included as part of a setup; however, it's not used to adjust the action - that's the saddle/nut.

The S6 is a great guitar. A professional setup may do wonders for you. If you're thinking about going with a Taylor or Martin at this point then you better try some out now to see if they 'speak' to you more.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM
The Foreigner

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forums! As others have already said, get a good setup done and maybe keep the original nut/saddle untouched in case you decide to return the guitar after all.

By the way, here's a bit of friendly advice: The way you posted is known as a "wall of text" and is pretty hard to read, especially for those without widescreen monitors. Might I suggest a little more paragraphs in future posts?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 12-20-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 AM

I bought a Seagull S6 a few months ago, and I too had difficulty fretting chords (barre chords were particularly difficult to hold). After reading advice in this forum, I brought it to a local guitar repairman who has a good reputation. He set it up nicely and now it plays as easy as a Taylor or Martin. It cost $60.

Try googling for a luthier/guitar repairman in your area and then see if anyone has written a review on them. And definitely change the strings.

Another option is to return the Seagull and try to find another one at a local mom & pop store. Many mom & pop stores include a setup as part of the price.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM

that is the reason I dont like Seagull guitars , set up or not that neck is very thick, I suggest either taking it back and getting a Yamaha or getting a Seagull with the Slim neck.\
dave
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 AM

yea if he doesn't like the wide nut width, and still wants the S6, he should perhaps trade it for S6 slim.

i personally don't feel like the wide nut width is a big hinderance. in fact, i don't really find it affects anything. it's more of a psychological thing for some, but i prefer at minimum 1.75 so 1.8 isn't that much of a difference. besides its good for fingerstyling.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Return the Seagull, while you can. You will never regret getting a Taylor or Martin.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM

I ran into the same issue. It is as simple as a setup, but I have some other advice that might be helpful. I just got used to it and stuck with it and toughed it out during that first whole month. I guarantee that you will build strength in your hand quickly and then you will be able to play any guitar (with a high action or not). I won't say that it won't be frustrating for a bit, but the rewards are worth it. It might help to put light strings on it during this time. If you truly enjoy that guitar and just flat out need better playability, I agree that a setup is the trick.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Bring your Seagull back to the store and compare it to the Taylor.If you think the Seagull sounds better spend the money and get a proper set up.If you like the way the Taylor sounds trade it in on the Taylor.Taylors in general come from the factory with pretty light and low action and are easy on the fingers.I've played some Taylors that had the same feel as a electric guitar.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input. Not sure what I am going to do at this point. I don’t want to go “to light” on the strings as I’ve heard this can effect tone but in addition to the strings mentioned in a post above can someone give me some specific string recommendations that sound great but may be a tad easier to fret. I may try some new strings first and then try to find someone who can do a good "action" job for me. Thanks again!!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Try out some DR Sunbeams Tom. I use 12s and find them very easy to fret.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
that is the reason I dont like Seagull guitars , set up or not that neck is very thick, I suggest either taking it back and getting a Yamaha or getting a Seagull with the Slim neck.\
dave
I agree...original Seagulls are like playing guitars with 2x4s as necks.

The Taylor e210 has a 1 11/16" neck and as such is much thinner than a Seagull neck and is easier to make barre chords on.

Getting rid of that Seagull for anything with a 1 11/16" neck, including the Slim (necked), Seagull. It is obviously the reason that the OP prefers it.

Simon & Patricks are way easier for me to play and have V necks.

Normans have thicker necks than S&Ps but they are not too thick.

I am sure that if you have very large hands or wider fingers, then you may just love an original Seagull.

For me, playing one would be stressful on my wrists in very short order.

It all depends on your physiology. Each to their own.

Last edited by Harmonycat; 12-20-2009 at 02:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion