The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2022, 10:52 AM

Default big baby taylor - top swollen - high action

Hello,

i bought a big baby taylor second hand. I noticed the action at the 12th fret was very high (seemed almost 1 inch high!), but assumed a neck reset, or saddle sanding would fix it.

it turned out the saddle was low already, and 2 shims under the neck helped a bit, but its still high action at 12th fret. Truss rod tightening causes buzz at the first few frets. So then we discovered the top was a bit swollen because a ruler held flat on the top had a gap at one end when held parallel to the bridge. (both ends did not touch) Is this reversible? Is it due to humidity. I live in India, so usually 60%+ humidity..

-Nikhil.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:05 PM

It sounds more like it is being exposed too much to a hot climate while the guitar is mostly kept in standard tuning. Try leaving the strings loosened (slack) while it is not being played so the bowing of the soundboard relaxes. Store in as cool a place as you can while not playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
action, belly, belly bulge