The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
Who is to say that guitars with “'ring,' depth and sustain” are better, though? Those attributes are great for some things, but could be negatives for someone looking for a guitar to play blues or jazz rhythm.

It really comes down to context: who’s looking and what they’re looking for.
If you look at the comments made by people here about what they love in their favourite guitars, these features nearly always emerge. Sure, someone may want a duller, 'thunkier' guitar for some more specific purpose, but I think that someone would be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:51 PM

Reminds me of the 40,000 threads about rosewood v. mahogany.

It’s true. Often it seems that lots of sustain and overtones are good for some things, and a dry fundamental is good for others.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
If you look at the comments made by people here about what they love in their favourite guitars, these features nearly always emerge. Sure, someone may want a duller, 'thunkier' guitar for some more specific purpose, but I think that someone would be the exception rather than the rule.
That’s probably right, I just mean that someone is looking for those guitars, too.

The true rejects would be the old, cheap entry level guitars from Kay and Harmony that won’t intonate correctly and are difficult to play.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcregle1 View Post
What is not "the one" for one person is most likely "the one" for someone else
This is the way I see it. When I evaluate and it’s used I think if Tony Rice with Clarence White’s D28 or Gary Moore with Peter Green’s Les Paul. Those used guitars did turned out to be great rejects.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:35 PM

I have sold 2 and traded 1 here.

The 2 I sold were mahogany and I have come to the conclusion I'm not a mahogany guy.

The one I traded was a modern OM that didn't have a cutaway. It was replaced with an OM that has a cutaway.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Reminds me of the 40,000 threads about rosewood v. mahogany.

It’s true. Often it seems that lots of sustain and overtones are good for some things, and a dry fundamental is good for others.
The thing about sustain is that it's not that difficult to remove with finger or palm muting, but you can't put it back into a guitar that never had it in the first place. Wouldn't most of us prefer to have it as/when we need it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion