The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2022, 06:43 PM

Default Thoughts on Breedlove Myrtlewood?

I had the Saturday to myself with the wife and kids out so decided to browse a few stores for guitars. There was a small shop 'Muddy River Guitars' in the KC area that I went to because they had Furch, Larrivee guitars I wanted to try in person. He also had a Breedlove Concert Canyon (like this https://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlo...1+RVTS+GCWEP+1).

I had tried Breedlove guitars before (cheaper) but for some reason this really struck me hard. Just a beautiful, clear sound, softer than the Furch dreads I was loving too but I fell in love. I'd be able to get it for around $2k so thought it was a good price and ALMOST took it, but dropped it because I really didn't want to get one so soon after the 517 purchase.

Anybody have one similar to this they can comment on? Does it age well and everything? Is this just a brief infatuation or is it REAL love?
Old 05-28-2022, 06:51 PM

The Breedlove all myrtlewood guitars are very very nice sounding instruments. I had to drag myself away from purchasing one a few years ago when the timing wasn't right. I ended up with a Breedlove Oregon concertina, which has a spruce top and myrtlewood back and sides. I'm sure I would have been just as happy or more happy with all myrtle wood.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:55 PM

I think that guitars with myrtlewood tops are a lot like guitars with Koa tops.
They are not that consistent, and run the gamut from outstanding to mediocre.

I'd be a lot more comfortable buying a spruce or cedar topped guitar without playing it first than Koa or Myrtlewood. But, if you found a really nice one...
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-28-2022, 08:35 PM

I owned one of the Myrtlewood Breedlove Concert series that I bought new for about a year and wasn't that impressed with the sound. It was merely okay. Not as inspiring or impressive as Martin's, Santa Cruz, or Lowdens I have either owned or played. I played it a lot and it never "opened up" as they say. Maybe I just got an average one.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Myrtle is fantastic for Back & sides, & as pretty as it is for the top, I'd stick to spruce for tone. Breedlove does really well, pairing sitka with Myrtle.
Steve
Old 05-29-2022, 12:06 AM

I like Myrtlewood for back and sides, but prefer spruce for the top. Myrtle tops sound a little soft to me, almost like Koa tops, as mentioned above.
Rb
Old 05-29-2022, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I've often sung the praises of the Breedlove Myrtlewood guitars... and I've played a LOT of them, both in spruce and all-myrtle...

I have to say that, while I've played a couple of the all-myrtlewood guitars that were wonderful, I've also played quite a few that were just so-so... don't know why that is, as the spruce topped myrtlewood b/s guitars seem much more consistent to my ear, especially without that bridge truss system.

There are exceptional examples of the all myrtlewood guitars; if you found one that you love, go for it! I'd be reluctant to buy one before I got a chance to hear it...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-29-2022, 05:08 PM

I had two of the Concert sized Myrtlewood/Spruce and Cedar/Myrtlewood.
They were both gorgeous and really easy to play. Acoustically, I thought they were muted, and sold both of them quite easily. I've had several Breedloves, the US ones are always consistent.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I've gotten over the acquisition lust...beautiful sound, but it was definitely muted compared to the Furch dreads and even Larrivees I was I was playing too. The sound was more refined IMO, but I was able to feel the others more in my chest that I enjoy. And nothing compared to the Taylor 818 I played in another shop. Now THAT was some haptic feedback from strumming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion