The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 11:45 AM

Default New Taylor GTe Mahogany

I received an email from Taylor today announcing the new GTe (Grand Theater, electric) Mahogany. I am always attracted to the darker shades (NOT bursts) and mahogany, as we know, is a fine tonewood.

Curious, since I already have a Taylor GS Mini-e Koa and a Martin DJr-10E Sapele, I thought I'd check it out. Here's the side-by-side comparison link Taylor gives to let you check them out: https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/compare

In brief, there are a number of differences between the two (or three, if I factor in the Martin), with the most obvious being the slightly longer length but shallower body. At roughly twice the cost, I'd be hard pressed to justify adding to my collection, but it looks like a nice new offering from Taylor.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-10-2022, 03:27 PM

I'm a big fan of mahogany tops myself. Hard to give much feedback on the new GTs since they are so new but I am interested in this guitar. On a different note, I got my hands on the Urban Ash and did care much for it.

I had the original sapele top Martin DJr but moved it on because of the depth and discovered all over again why I don't like dreads. The GT seems like it might fill my needs nicely. I also love the Aero bag!
Old 02-10-2022, 04:28 PM

I have played the new Taylor GTe Mahogany alongside the Taylor GTe Urban Ash at my local Guitar Center.

Nice build quality, very comfortable size, tone of both was very similar, almost hard to distinguish. I LIKED them both but didn’t LOVE either of them so I didn’t buy either one.

I don’t think the Urban Ash is for me as I have played many of them by now and they are too bright for me. I will probably seek out more of the Mahogany variant as they roll out to stores as I am hoping for a darker, woodier, bluesy tone.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Forester View Post
I have played the new Taylor GTe Mahogany alongside the Taylor GTe Urban Ash at my local Guitar Center.

Nice build quality, very comfortable size, tone of both was very similar, almost hard to distinguish. I LIKED them both but didn’t LOVE either of them so I didn’t buy either one.

I don’t think the Urban Ash is for me as I have played many of them by now and they are too bright for me. I will probably seek out more of the Mahogany variant as they roll out to stores as I am hoping for a darker, woodier, bluesy tone.
I bought a GT Urban Ash because of the playability, but was a little to bright for me also. I changed the strings to D'addario XT PB's and darkened the tone to something more pleasant. Something to think about if you like the guitar, but the tone doesn't quite make it for you.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Interesting release of the GT with a mahogany top. I haven't had a chance to play one. I have played the urban ash version and it was ok, not bad, just ok.
For me, if I was going mahogany top, I'd rather have the American Dream AD22e which is the same price.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-11-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Just one more model to let me down.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:33 AM

I'm pulling the trigger and ordering one, as I only play my GS Mini mahogany these days. If I love it, I'll probably remove that pickguard, as I did on the Mini. I like the clean look.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
I bought a GT Urban Ash because of the playability, but was a little to bright for me also. I changed the strings to D'addario XT PB's and darkened the tone to something more pleasant. Something to think about if you like the guitar, but the tone doesn't quite make it for you.
I went one step further. The XT s were warmer,but still a little more on the treble than I was after. Put on a set of Earthwood BP's,....and found the warmth I was looking for.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:05 PM

I have played one GTe Mahogany and it was ok… not as warm and bluesy as I was hoping. Haven’t been able to get my hands on another locally yet .

What are people’s opinions of the tone of the GTe Mahogany they have played ?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2022, 09:42 PM

I’ve had mine for a few weeks now. Still liking it a lot. Might experiment with the strings in a few months. Between this and the GS mini with my 5’8” frame, the size is just about perfect for me. I have a degree in piano, and I don’t claim to be an excellent guitarist. I got away from guitar for a couple of years and started collecting ukuleles. But lately I’ve become guitar crazy again. So I have enjoyed playing. I finished chemo from cancer a little more than a year ago and for a while guitar fretting really bugged me. Even though I have a little bit of chemo fingers and toes, it’s better than it was and I’m thankful I can play without it hurting or feeling too weird.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:19 PM

I've got a AD17e Blacktop sitting here that I'm auditioning and I find the Ovangkol Back and Sides very interesting...Similar to rosewood but with more mid's (Sounds perfect
I find this guitar has great lows ...a mid-range and nice highs.. not overbearing, just about a perfect sparkle

I think I really like Ovangkol

I had a Gibson J15 Walnut back and sides and it was too woody for me.. I play more rock and pop with a little country thrown in So Rosewood or better yet Ovangkol with the slight increase in the mids works great

The AD17 has a 16in lower bout but it doesn't feel like it
Old 05-14-2022, 12:01 PM

Not sure this applies, but I bought a Taylor GS-Mini e Koa and LOVE that guitar!! I bought it to have in the living room to grab and jam, now I gig it everywhere!
Old 05-28-2022, 07:29 PM

After several weeks with it, I like it a lot. If I had a do over, I would probably try and find a used model, rather than a new one. But once again, I go back to my size. I’m not an extremely big guy, so this model fits me well. GS mini for camping and travel. GTe for performing and playing at church. I’m satisfied.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion