The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 AM

Talking Martin Sigma - 70's Korean Model Questions

Hi, I need a straight dread and don't have alot of money. I found a Sigma that was one of the very first made. I was told it was from the early 70's. It's in overall good shape. It plays okay. It does come with a gigbag. He's asking $300. Is that a decent price? What's one worth?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 AM

The Sigmas are definitely decent guitars, but I'm not sure about that price. I know there has been a bit of discussion about Sigmas on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (UGMF.com), so you might want to go over there and poke around, and even ask there if you don't get an answer here.

One big question that should be answered about a 1970's guitar is whether it needs a neck reset or not. If it does, $300 for that guitar is not a good deal unless it plays a heck of a lot sweeter than any other guitar. Just my opinion.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 AM

I have been watching Sigma prices and they appear to be going up recently. They are decent guitars but for that price, I think you'd probably do better looking for a new Yamaha or Epiphone.

Jim
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM

The first Sigmas were made in Japan until the mid 80's and then they were built in Korea. Do some research, the Sigmas that are going up are the Japanese, if i'm not mistaken.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 AM

Just sent you a PM
Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM

If I was looking for a budget straight dread, I'd buy:

Under $300: A Yamaha FG730s
Under $400: A used Taylor 110
Under $500: A used Taylor 110E

If you shop patiently and thoroughly this can be done.
Taylor T5S-12 string
Taylor 455ce
Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 AM

I respecfully don't agree with any of the above posts - I think a Sigma is a fantastic guitar for the price. These are guitars made under license to Martin using Martin specs, including copying the internal bracing and everything else that makes a Martin - except solid back and sides (Sigma's are usually laminate) and ebony fretboard (Sigma's are typically rosewood fretboard), and the tuners are not Martin tuners.

But for $300-400 you can get as close to a Martin sound as a Martin without paying $2,000.

I bought a mint 80's Sigma DR-35 in Canada for a hundred bucks more than the amount you mentioned (for my goddaughter). I found it to be a great git. I think this is a very good deal, assuming of course the guitar is sound in all respects.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Many Sigma's are fantastic guitars. I have played Sigmas that completely match their Martin version in every way. That price is average for a really good Sigma. If you played it and like it, buy it. Tunes is correct. I always keep my eyes open for a great deal on a Sigma. It is a Martin product. Bobkat is also correct. There are several similar in quality Dreads that can be purchase new for about the same as a used Sigma. That said, there are many new guitars that be bought for the price of a beat up Taylor 314 that I would pass on for the 314. You buy what you like.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrgr View Post
The first Sigmas were made in Japan until the mid 80's and then they were built in Korea. Do some research, the Sigmas that are going up are the Japanese, if i'm not mistaken.
I have done the research. Over the past few months, I've noticed that all Sigmas seem to be going up in price. The Japanese Sigmas started earlier.

Jim
Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM

I had a '70s Sigma dread for many years. I bought mine for $100 in 1990. It sat in its case for a number of years, and when I pulled it back out in about 2005 ... whoa. It had really opened up nicely. I eventually sold it for $150 w/a cheap hardshell case, that was about three years ago. The bridge was starting to develop cracks between the pin holes. They're good guitars. Not sure about that price. Have you checked completed auctions on e-bay?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:53 PM

Thumbs up Sigma guitars

This is my opinion on Sigma Guitars. Look for 1970-1984 MIJ (made in Japan)
models. A Sigma with the DR=Dred Rosewood, DM=Dred Mahogany, and the numbers 1-7 after the DR,DM is the quality, one being the lowest,and 7 being the highest. It really makes a differance. The DR-7 early MIJ guitars were really nice. I think they had solid spruce tops.
I have an early 80's DR-7 12 string that I love, and two 1980 mod 10's that were the Anniversary models that were solid spruce tops, and solid mahogany back and sides with snowflake fret markers, and snowflake markers on the bridge. As good as most Martins for a lot less money,IMHO.
Good luck on what ever you decide on.
John (valky guy)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Believe it or not. I have a SigMartin DR 28 that sounds and plays as good as a Martin D 28. I matched it to see. I paid $235 for it at a pawn shop. It came with a used strap and a cardboard case. I've been playing it for about 25 years now. It gets lots of great comments.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM

Someone mentioned laminates. I have a 1973 DR-12-7 which appears to be all wood to me. rosewood and spruce. hasn't been played much after about 1980 but still sounds pretty good, and has held up well. in fact its in pristine condition. A bear to keep in tune though.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 AM

There's a lot of praise for the Japanese Sigma's here and it's justifiable for the most part, they were nice guitars. The only thing I'd worry about is how the neck is situated. Check it thoroughly to make sure it's not a candidate for a reset. After all, it's pushing 40 years old.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM

I have played 2 over the last 5 years. Both were dreads, both needed strings changed about 2 years before I played them. They sounded like good guitars. The action was fine. I wanted to slap some new strings on them and play them.

For the price, if there is some saddle left and the action is good, you won't be making any kind of big mistake. There are just too many good new guitars and good used ones around today; it's almost overwhelming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion