The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Help me with Taylor Purchase

I really would like to get a Taylor, and have a couple of questions.

1. When did the NT neck start.
2. What about revoicing, when?

3. Woods and tones. This is the question I'm most interested in. Whats the big deal with Koa, walnut(to name a few) say vs. rosewood or mohogany. I know they are great looking. If you had to choose just one, would you go with a Koa or stick a standard like rosewood.

Okay, last question. I was thinking of buying used. Figure I can get more for my money vs. going new. But a local dealer has a 314ce L10 (Koa b/s) and a 414ce L10 (rosewood b/s). Can anyone tell me anything about them?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Susan-

1. According to Taylor, the NT neck began popping up in 1999 and became standard in 2001.

2. I'd like to say they began re-voicing the line in 2002, getting to the x12 models in 2004. Not sure if it's still only 500 series and up that have been revoiced. Someone else can chime in if I'm off on my dates.

3. Not to cop out on answering your question, but it really is subjective to what kind of tone you'd like to achieve and your style of play. You'll also want to take into account the body style, not just the tonewoods, when making your choice. For a great resource on tonewood characteristics, you might visit Dana Bourgeois' site - he goes over the most popular choices for tops and back/side sets in detail. Having never played a walnut or koa backed guitar, I can't really draw any comparisons to some of the other tonewoods.

As for the used guitars that you're checking out, the limiteds are usually a great value, as your getting upgraded b/s comibinations (and often other upgrades - binding, purfling, etc.) for the price of the regular series. Perhaps a few of our members who are more "in the know" than I am can private message you with the best price you could expect to get on either of the models you mention.

Best of luck-
Old 09-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
I really would like to get a Taylor, and have a couple of questions.

1. When did the NT neck start.
2. What about revoicing, when?

3. Woods and tones. This is the question I'm most interested in. Whats the big deal with Koa, walnut(to name a few) say vs. rosewood or mohogany. I know they are great looking. If you had to choose just one, would you go with a Koa or stick a standard like rosewood.

Okay, last question. I was thinking of buying used. Figure I can get more for my money vs. going new. But a local dealer has a 314ce L10 (Koa b/s) and a 414ce L10 (rosewood b/s). Can anyone tell me anything about them?
Forget the technical stuff. Bring home the guitar that calls to you. Play them and they will let you know who is who. Three of my guitars are spruce/rosewood back and sides and they still all sound different from one another.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-07-2006, 10:46 PM
ParaDoolingon Fan

Koa is awesome...

Larrivee C-10 Koa Genie Wendy Inlay, 1992 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe, Custom Warmoth Stratocaster.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Winning!

The big thing with Koa is the eye candy of the wood itself. As far as the tone is concerned, that's a personal revelation as some like it while others don't, and furthermore, some have tried various Koas and within those some have been duds while others have shone.

hey that sorta rhymes...

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:46 PM

My advise is to go play a bunch of different guitars. Your budget will set the upper limit, so it will be up to you to find what you like for what you can afford. At the time I was looking, that ended up being a 314CE. I also played Martins, Gibsons, and some others. The local GC is good in that they stock lots of models of all these and I was able to go (with a guitar playing frined) and try out about 20 different guitars. I still like to drop by GC and play the collection of guitars that they have.

Good luck

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 09-08-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks to all who replied.

My last guitar purchase was a Martin D-16GT. I played alot of guitars before choosing. At that time I could only afford a 200 series Taylor and didn't quite like it. I did try a 300 and 400 series, and thought they were alot better. But being out of my price range I quickly put them back. I know that I need to pick a guitar that speaks to me etc. I'm just trying to gather up some info from all you.

How 'bout more comments on the different woods offered? Are 2006 300and 400 series revoiced?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:53 PM

though i cant speak about revoicing, the 314 will be sapele mahogany backs and sides and spruce top, while the 414 will be ovangkol(african tone wood-much like rosewood in tone) backs and sides and spruce top. they are both excellent players, i have played a 314 that i just found very impressive. however, the 400 series is a gem, and if i had the $, i would chose that one over the 314, though if i could only swing the 314, i certainly wouldnt be crying in my soup, or even remotely regretting the decision. the situation you are in is not a dilemna, you cant go wrong. but you got toplay them both. good luck and post the pics when you get it!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 09-08-2006, 05:14 PM

Buy used. You will get WAY more guitar for your money. There are tons of good deals on eBay and in the marketplace forum of this message board.

As for woods, that's not really a question you can ask on a guitar message board. Sure, you'll have people chime in and tell you allllllll about the tones of various woods, but when it comes down to it, everyone hears something different. Asking people to describe guitar tonewoods is like asking someone to sing architecture.

In fact, I once read that several Taylor techs were sat down in a room with a few different guitars that were identical in every way except for the woods. They were then blindfolded and given different guitars to play. Very few of them recognized the tone of a particular type of wood with any consistency. It may or may have not been actual Taylor techs (it could have been Martin guys, or whatever), but the moral of the story is the same.

The biggest thing that will affect the tone of your guitar is the bracing and the quality of the construction. In other words, is VERY unlikely that you will be able to hear discernable differences between a K14ce (koa) and a 914ce (Indian rosewood). If you claim you CAN hear a difference....well, I don't want to say you're lying, but it's very likely that your biases are affecting your hearing. In fact, I'd challenge someone to even be able to differentiate a 914ce from a 314ce merely by the tone. I would wager that you couldn't do it consistently.

Long story short - go play all the guitars you're interested in. Most importantly, choose a body style that will fit most comfortably in your playing posture. Since you're a woman (or I really hope you are), I would suggest a grand concert body style - designated by x12 model numbers. When you find the guitar you like at a good price (be sure to shop around), buy it. Don't let supposed differences between woods influence your decision, other than how they look.

-Jesse
Old 09-08-2006, 05:15 PM

With all that said, I'd look for a slightly-used 312ce or 412ce. They're great for fingerpicking, and can hold up to moderate strumming. Plus, they'll feel great in your lap, as they're a little smaller than Grand Auditorium (x14) models.

-Jesse
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 AM

One item to note is any 312, 412 and 410 now comes short scale if that is a preference for you.

Whatever route you decide (new or used), take your time with the decision; there is joy in the journey as well.

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 09-09-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Are 2006 300and 400 series revoiced?
I don't know if anyone else addressed this question, but I believe they are revoiced.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied.

My last guitar purchase was a Martin D-16GT. I played alot of guitars before choosing. At that time I could only afford a 200 series Taylor and didn't quite like it. I did try a 300 and 400 series, and thought they were alot better. But being out of my price range I quickly put them back. I know that I need to pick a guitar that speaks to me etc. I'm just trying to gather up some info from all you.

How 'bout more comments on the different woods offered? Are 2006 300and 400 series revoiced?
A 310 is alot like the D-16GT (I've got one too) to my ears. To get a much more different sound go up to the 400 series. The ovangol of the 400 series really has a nice tone to it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-09-2006, 04:24 PM
In between waves

I have a 414 L-7. It was the 2004 fall special edition with rosewood back and sides. It is an amazing guitar. I have added a K and K pure western and a bone saddle. It has a nice mellow but present low end. Not boomy like a Martin or overtaken by the shrill highs of some other Taylors I have played but very nice and well balanced. I would highly reccomend giving the L-10 on your list a serious look.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:43 PM

Went to some stores today to check out the Taylors. Disappointed to find out the 314ce & 414ce L10's sold a day or two ago. Got to play some though. I tried a 312ce as suggested, and even though the fit was good, didn't care for the sound. Well at least I know what I don't want-
no dreads, X12's, maple or ceder.

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion