The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your primary playing technique, fingerstyle or pick?
Fingerstyle 13 61.90%
Pick 9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Default Bridge Design Question: Fingerstyle or Pick

Suppose I am designing a new guitar, and I want to offer two models, one for fingerstyle players and one for pick users. I am doing this because I feel that fingerstyle players benefit from an additional 2mm (approx 5/64") of string spacing at the saddle, while pick users would feel like they are reaching too far and could play easier with 2mm less. This difference is enough to justify two models, that would otherwise be identical.

Now suppose that I can't afford to release them both simultaneously, so I would like to release the more popular version first. What is your primary technique, fingerstyle or pick? If you play both ways regularly, you can vote for both.

If you would also like to post in the thread, please include the following:
1: Primary technique (fingerstyle or pick)
2: Favorite saddle spacing
3: Is your favorite spacing actual or theoretical? By this I mean have you actually played a guitar that has your favorite spacing, or do you wish for a spacing that you haven't found yet?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:07 PM

I use a pick at least 90% of the time, and while I'm fond of 1 3/4" nuts, the spacing at the bridge isn't a major issue for me. Maybe it's because I'm a multi-instrumentalist - guitar was actually the fourth instrument I took up, after mountain dulcimer, mandolin and five string banjo - so I'm constantly shifting back and forth between radically different scale lengths and tunings all the time. So spacing at the bridge is not as big a deal for me as it might be for those who play only guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-05-2016, 08:47 PM

Like Wade, I play instruments with varying string spacings - various guitars and electric basses, so as long as the string spacing isn't too tight, no worries, mate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion