The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2023, 09:04 PM

Default Stiff tuners

I just picked up a 1998 larrivee D-2 which is vefry nice. Some of the tuning keys are a bit stiff and am wondering if there is a way to lubricant these. Please note that the guitar stays in tune quite well.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2023, 09:15 PM

Are those open back or sealed tuners? If they’re sealed gears there’ll be clutch screws that also hold the tuner buttons on. Somebody might have cranked those down too tightly.

Get a screwdriver of the right type and size and try backing off the tension a little bit, see if that does the trick.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-07-2023, 10:23 PM

Default a thought

I suggest it's time for a new set of strings.

Once the tuners are free of any string loads, proceed to diagnose your concerns. Like someone's said, above, adjusting the screw tension on closed tuners often will resolve stiffnesss.

For open tuners, I've had success in disassembling too-stiff tuners and, using numbered drills, ream the bearing surfaces for the adjustment shaft. I got very limited results from adding lubrication.

I've had no experience whatever with slothead tuners.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:13 PM

A 1998 Larrivee should have sealed gear Gotohs - that’s what my 1998 Larrivee OM-03W had. Then the company went to sealed gear Pings, and now they’re using open gear tuners of some kind.

Those 90’s era Gotohs were a little wobbly yet - it was before Gotoh introduced their rock solid platform (originally limited to the high dollar 510 tuners) all the way across their product line. When they did, a few years later, I replaced the original Gotohs on my OM-03W with an updated set.

So that might be the problem that the OP is having with those tuning gears - they were a bit unreliable, and somebody cranked them down trying to stabilize them.

It’s a possibility….

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-07-2023, 11:42 PM

Lots of good information here. And hardware types I don't know about. When I decided the tuners on my Blueridge BG-160 were too stiff for me, I started simple and it worked. Maybe you'll have the same luck. I've so far avoided the mysteries and expense of buying new tuners. A little lube goes a long way if there's nothing busted in your tuners.

With all the strings off, I put on some magnifiers and determined that the shafts of the machines were clean. Then, I used my mechanical string winder (an electric screwdriver) to give the machines some turning to determine that they rotated cleanly. Next, I put a drop or two of very, very light machine oil on each gear, then rotated each machine through 10 or 15 revolutions to spread the machine oil over each gear and its worm gear.

I put a drop of the same oil in the end of each bushing, turning each one until the oil moved down and in to the space between the shaft and the bushing. Then, I gave everything a blot and wipe up with Q-tips and a cotton cloth to avoid leaving an oily mess.

Finally, string them up and tune to pitch. They are smooth and steady now. I repeat these steps with each string change. Basic maintenance, it's true, but it has its rewards.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:08 AM

Factory Tuners on a 98 would have been Pings

I agree with Wade that the previous owner likely over-tightened the clutch screws.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-08-2023, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Factory Tuners on a 98 would have been Pings

I agree with Wade that the previous owner likely over-tightened the clutch screws.
Actually, AZ, that was a transitional year and Gotohs were still being used for much of it. I was fortunate enough to be able to pick out my guitar at the factory, and Jean told me that the tuners were Gotohs. He showed me a Ping gear, though, and told me that they were going to be switching to them.

whm
Old 09-08-2023, 04:44 AM

I have recently experienced a similar issue, though it was on a much newer guitar with open gear tuners. I was told to use a drop of machine oil in the gear and to turn the tuner.

Instead of following the advice to a "T," I tried to get cute and get some (cleaner /easier for me) synthetic stuff, maybe? I'd have to double check the bottle.

But either I used too little (a drop or two), or it does not work for my specific problem, or instance. I believe I read of people having some success with Tri-Flow.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I find that on occasion I use a very small amount (a drop or 2) of Tri Flow with Teflon and it seems to work great. This applicator helps control the application. Applying too much attracts dirt over time and defeats the goal.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...nt-lubricator/
Old 09-08-2023, 11:45 AM

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I should have noted these are closed/sealed tuners. I will look into loosening the clutch screw.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion