The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2022, 03:06 AM

Default DR Dragon Skin

Anyone ever use DR Dragon Skin coated strings? Your thoughts?
I'm usually grabbing good ole' EJ-16s so that's my comparison.
I got an offer for getting some BOGO so I thought I might grab some.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:03 AM

I have them on my Halcyon OM right now and have used them off and on for a long while. I like them a lot. They do not feel coated and have the clarity I associate with non coated strings. I actually asked DR in an email if they were "coated" or "treated" and was told the K3 coating (that's the name of it) is a coating that is baked on. The plain steels that come with the set are bronzed and I like them too.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:18 AM

I tried two sets in the past. I recall their tone was acceptable, but my biggest memory is regarding the feel. To me, the wound strings felt "sticky" when I would play fingerstyle. It took some getting used to as my finger tips wouldn't slip (easily) off the strings on my right hand. Imagine there were such a thing as a pine tar spray that felt dry. That's the best way I know to describe my experience.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I tried two sets in the past. I recall their tone was acceptable, but my biggest memory is regarding the feel. To me, the wound strings felt "sticky" when I would play fingerstyle. It took some getting used to as my finger tips wouldn't slip (easily) off the strings on my right hand. Imagine there were such a thing as a pine tar spray that felt dry. That's the best way I know to describe my experience.
I concur. They also didn’t have much longevity. I prefer D’addario EXPs, but with the phase out I have gone back to Elixir nano if I need a coated string. I didn’t like the XTs but I have some XS strings on the way. I really liked the GHS infinity bronze strings but the quality control was in issue - too many oxidized strings. It has been a few years so I might try them again to see if they have improved.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 08-03-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I didn't feel them as sticky at all but I tend to have drier hands anyway. A little "darker" than the Elixirs I usually use and they didn't last quite as long but the price difference made up for that aspect. They sounded good on one guitar but not another so I'd say give them a try and see what you think. It's still a relatively inexpensive way to change the sound and feel of your instrument.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:26 AM

I tried them and like them.
They feel sticky at first though.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:52 PM

I have liked them well enough to take advantage of an occasional 2 for 1 sale, but otherwise I don't usually seek them out.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion