The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-01-2024, 08:41 AM

Default Classical Gas on a Classical Guitar

I want to add a Classical Guitar to my ensemble, but unfortunately as far as now, the siding on the house takes precedence.

I'm presently learning and memorizing the song on a steel string acoustic. It's sounds great, but I can't help wondering what it would be like playing it on a Classical nylon string guitar as Mason Williams did. Not so much the sound, which would be obviously a little different, but are there any advantages to the wider fretboard of classical guitar, or would it actually be a little more difficult if one is not used to playing a classical guitar.

I suppose I can go to my local Sweetwater and find out, but before then was curious to hear what others here think. (I'm actually not comfortable playing guitars if I am not in the market.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-17-2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I want to add a Classical Guitar to ensemble, but unfortunately as far as now, the siding on the house takes precedence.

I'm presently learning and memorizing the song on a steel string acoustic. It's sounds great, but I can't help wondering what it would be like playing it on a Classical nylon string guitar as Mason Williams did. Not so much the sound, which would be obviously a little different, but are there any advantages to the wider fretboard of classical guitar, or would it actually be a little more difficult if one is not used to playing a classical guitar.

I suppose I can go to my local Sweetwater and find out, but before then was curious to hear what others here think. (I'm actually not comfortable playing guitars if I am not in the market.)

Thanks in advance!
It's a great tune to learn. I did many years ago and still play it on a regular basis.
You can certainly play it on either type, but the signature opening is so idiomatic to a classical guitar, and so etched in everyone's mind that way, that it's hard to beat nylon for a straight cover of that particular tune.
I think so anyway.
Personally I also think it's easier to play on nylon, but that's what I'm used to. You may have a different take.
I'll say this though: If you memorize it on steel, and go to the store to play it on nylon, you'll be taking that guitar home!
Have fun with it!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-01-2024, 12:44 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Look into the Cordoba cross overs.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Look into the Cordoba cross overs.
Yes! Excellent suggestion for the OP. Especially for steel string players who are used to narrower necks.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-01-2024, 04:55 PM

Thank you for all the comments.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:29 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Somewhere in my photos I have pics of Mason's Oscar Teller classical guitar. He was referred to me in advance of a trip he made to Nashville back in 03. He shipped his guitar prior to arrival.

He came to see me after I had completely reworked the fret board and installed new frets. The fret board was not in a good way.

He asked me to lower the action a bit. I casually asked him how long he had the guitar, he responded that it was his only guitar. I said, this is the only guitar you've ever used. He said Yes, and continued that he recorded all 27 version of Classical Gas on that guitar.

That was a moment,

I spent a bit of time with Mason. He had some fun and revealing stories.

I will try to locate the pics of the Classical Gas guitar and post it.

Its sitting on a computer I can not access from here.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conecaster View Post
Somewhere in my photos I have pics of Mason's Oscar Teller classical guitar. He was referred to me in advance of a trip he made to Nashville back in 03. He shipped his guitar prior to arrival.

He came to see me after I had completely reworked the fret board and installed new frets. The fret board was not in a good way.

He asked me to lower the action a bit. I casually asked him how long he had the guitar, he responded that it was his only guitar. I said, this is the only guitar you've ever used. He said Yes, and continued that he recorded all 27 version of Classical Gas on that guitar.

That was a moment,

I spent a bit of time with Mason. He had some fun and revealing stories.

I will try to locate the pics of the Classical Gas guitar and post it.

Its sitting on a computer I can not access from here.
27 versions! No wonder I keep seeing different versions!

I'd be very interested in the pics as I'm sure others here would be!

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-16-2024 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I want to add a Classical Guitar to ensemble, but unfortunately as far as now, the siding on the house takes precedence.

Thanks in advance!
After you get your siding on, do make a trip to Sweetwater and try out a Cordoba Cadete. It has a 1-7/8" flat board, a bit shorter scale length, 3/4 body size, and sounds very nice considering it's low price.

I have several much more expensive steel strings and it's still one of my most often played guitars. (I have a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion that is basically unplayed.)

You won't have to feel guilty for "trying one out" because you'll probably take it home with you.

Classical Gas is a great tune, but a simple nylon strung guitar can be used for so much more. I'm currently working on Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street in drop D if you need an example of what a crazed nylon lover might do with one...

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-01-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:22 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
27 versions! No wonder I keep seeing different versions!

I'd be very interested the pics as I'm sure others here would be!
I will dig into it and find the pics.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
...but are there any advantages to the wider fretboard of classical guitar...
There are many shapes in classical guitar repertoire that I find almost impossible (if not actually impossible) on thinner necks, as there's simply not enough space for my fingers. On a steel string (or even worse, an electric) my fingers can start running into each other or start muting adjacent strings. So wider necks usually mean cleaner notes for the average player.

On the flip side, wider necks means your fingers have to stretch further between strings, so that's going to clearly take more effort, and slightly more time for a finger to switch from one string to another (which can matter if you're trying to be the next Tim Henson). So thinner necks usually means easier and faster playing. On my steel string, switching between cowboy chords is comparably easier.

Also, steel string necks usually have a radius to them (classicals are flat), which appears to make barre chords much easier for some. Personally the added tension of the steel strings not only negates this, but yields a net increase in difficulty, but I digress. If you play better with a radius, then the flat neck of a classical might be hard.

A cross over is probably the way to go. It'll still be tight for some of the more complex classical shapes, but not as tight as a steel string will be. A very good middle ground.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:45 AM

Quote:
...or would it actually be a little more difficult if one is not used to playing a classical guitar.
Yes, most of the difficulty comes from keeping your fretting-hand thumb behind the neck at all times, which is the right way to play nylon. Once you get used to it, your fretting hand will be much stronger and you’ll develop a sense of where to plant that thumb, which is about as important to guitarists as planting feet is to boxers. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to fret most chords and how small and narrow steet-string necks are.

They’re different instruments for different kinds of music. In the case of Classical Gas, there’s no reason to play it on anything but nylon.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post

They’re different instruments for different kinds of music. In the case of Classical Gas, there’s no reason to play it on anything but nylon.

Here's a reason:

Last edited by Aspiring; 03-05-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:31 AM

A dead link?
Old 03-04-2024, 05:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Here's a reason:

Fixed link..........

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-04-2024, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Fixed link..........
Thanks. My version is working in my browser. What did you see different?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical