The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Get the Right Guitar or Just Get What You Want?

Would you get a guitar that is right for what you need it for or would you just get what sounds best to you? What in the world do I mean? I play live P&W and use a PA system so I got a maple guitar that breaks through the mix (keyboards, vocals, bass, drums, etc) and got a K&K Pure Mini. But the guitar that I just love is the Collings D2HA because of its volume, the punch, and its clarity. But it may not be the best guitar for what I have to use it for. I hope this makes sense to some of you.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Cruncher View Post
Would you get a guitar that is right for what you need it for or would you just get what sounds best to you? What in the world do I mean? I play live P&W and use a PA system so I got a maple guitar that breaks through the mix (keyboards, vocals, bass, drums, etc) and got a K&K Pure Mini. But the guitar that I just love is the Collings D2HA because of its volume, the punch, and its clarity. But it may not be the best guitar for what I have to use it for. I hope this makes sense to some of you.
Once you're amplified, "breaking through the mix" is a matter of volume, gain, and EQ on the PA. The guitar, and especially its back and sides tonewood, has astonishingly little to do with it.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As you said maple is one of the best for cutting thru the mix. However Collings D2HA has Adirondack top which is known for very strong fundamentals and note separations. I bet D2HA will cut thru just fine...maybe as much as maple with Sitka top if not more.

As far as Collings I have owned Collings D2HA, D2H, D3, D1, OM2H, OM2HE, OM2HG, SJ, OM1A. Never once had trouble cutting thru in P&W setting. If anything it was toooo “cutting” =)

I actually owned 3-4 Collings D2HA as I really liked the tone at the time. However When playing alone singing, it was just way too powerful and LOUD drowning my voice. Perfect for bluegrass if you ask me but just way tooo LOUD for way I play and sing. YMMV
Old 03-14-2018, 09:21 AM

You need both!
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 AM

I have no rules or strategies when it comes to guitars and music. For me need as nothing to do with it. I buy what I like which for me, more often as not, means an old Gibson. But I own guitars by six different builders and have little rhyme or reason for which one I choose to walk out the door with. That may be because I only use old singe coil magnetic soundhole pickups which tend to be great equalizers. The one exception is when I am playing with others and not plugging in. There I go for one of the crowd which projects better than the others.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

The Collings should work just fine for you. I also play P&W and use everything from a Adirondack/Maple slope dread to a Sitka/Mahogany D-18 to a Adirondack/EIR D-28 variation. They all work well.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Once you're amplified, "breaking through the mix" is a matter of volume, gain, and EQ on the PA. The guitar, and especially its back and sides tonewood, has astonishingly little to do with it.
I agree, if the sound guy knows what he is doing. But there have been times when my cedar top guitar was just buried and could not be heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
As you said maple is one of the best for cutting thru the mix. However Collings D2HA has Adirondack top which is known for very strong fundamentals and note separations. I bet D2HA will cut thru just fine...maybe as much as maple with Sitka top if not more.

As far as Collings I have owned Collings D2HA, D2H, D3, D1, OM2H, OM2HE, OM2HG, SJ, OM1A. Never once had trouble cutting thru in P&W setting. If anything it was toooo “cutting” =)

I actually owned 3-4 Collings D2HA as I really liked the tone at the time. However When playing alone singing, it was just way too powerful and LOUD drowning my voice. Perfect for bluegrass if you ask me but just way tooo LOUD for way I play and sing. YMMV
Your last sentence is probably what I needed to hear. But someone may chime in and say your mic can be adjusted. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
You need both!
I don't know. I think the Collings D2HA will blow it up and I just will stop using the Taylor. Also, it isn't financially sound for me.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I don't totally agree with you on that.
I have used every one of my guitars amplified in a performance scenario and with certain pickups, especially really good ones,there is a noticeable difference in the voicing of each regardless of EQ. As an example, my Pono sounds nothing like my D18 through a board and powered speakers no matter how it's EQ'd.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
I agree, if the sound guy knows what he is doing. But there have been times when my cedar top guitar was just buried and could not be heard.
Again, I would blame that on the pickup, the preamp, the PA, or the FOH mix. Amplifying an acoustic guitar with anything other than a microphone by-and-large takes the guitar out of the equation. The wood its made from is the least of the variables at play.

Now go get that Collings!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:07 AM

I am trying to figure out what price I should ask for. They asked me how much I wanted to pay and I didn't have a clue. Somebody PM me!
Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am trying to figure out what price I should ask for. They asked me how much I wanted to pay and I didn't have a clue. Somebody PM me!
New or Used? if used Condition and year? For new, Collings only allow 10% off MSRP and most dealers are pretty strict with this. So anything more than 10% off MSRP on a new Collings would be a good deal. Used...it all depends on condition, year, etc.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
New or Used? if used Condition and year? For new, Collings only allow 10% off MSRP and most dealers are pretty strict with this. So anything more than 10% off MSRP on a new Collings would be a good deal. Used...it all depends on condition, year, etc.
So it is new and the guy said he can do 10% off. But still asked me how much I wanted to pay. Weird.

Anyhow, I have noticed based on what I've seen on AGF's market that the prices on the Collings take a more than expected hit on the prices.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 PM

P+W=punk and western?

have you played the collings or just watched on youtube? that makes a lot of difference.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 PM

This is SUCH a good topic! I've been there so many times. I've purchased the "right guitar" several times, and in the end, the "right situation" only presented itself a few times.

This brings up another thought. How many times do we buy a guitar or piece of gear for the "what if" scenario? I can't tell you how many times I've bought high wattage amps for the rare chance I play a "gig." Those gigs are far and few between for me...as in never lol.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
P+W=punk and western?

have you played the collings or just watched on youtube? that makes a lot of difference.

play music!
There are people who buy guitars without playing them? That's like marrying a girl just based on her online profile or something. Am I right?

Yes, I have played the guitar many many times and just keep coming back to it despite having a fine guitar for what I need it to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
This is SUCH a good topic! I've been there so many times. I've purchased the "right guitar" several times, and in the end, the "right situation" only presented itself a few times.

This brings up another thought. How many times do we buy a guitar or piece of gear for the "what if" scenario? I can't tell you how many times I've bought high wattage amps for the rare chance I play a "gig." Those gigs are far and few between for me...as in never lol.
I don't buy unless I am 100% sure. For example, I purchased the 614 because I wanted a nice guitar for live performances. It's been great thus far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion