The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Play Plugged-in Majority of the Time? If So, What Brand?
NO 67 85.90%
YES - Taylor 8 10.26%
YES - Martin 3 3.85%
YES - Gibson 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Do You Play Plugged-in Majority of the Time?

Do you play plugged-in majority of the time?
90% of the time, my guitar is plugged in.
What I am trying to gauge is if "plugged-in" players usually buy Taylors.
Thanks!

LOL - This should be an interesting poll
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Hi Cruncher,

I almost never play plugged in, but I have moved away from playing out over the last 10 years.

Regards, Glenn
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM

I don't plug-in my acoustics much anymore since I added soundports to most of them. However, I love the amplified tone of my L-03 and sometimes plug it in just for fun.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM

I used to plug in all of the time when I was doing coffee shops and whatnot, but now since I'm primarily recording all of the time, I us a mic.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Even though we have weekly gigs where we play plugged in, the vast majority of time across the week I would plug unplugged.

However, when we do play plugged in as the saying goes .. Only a Gibson is Good Enough .. :-)
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Kind of a short list of possibilities, huh? Since I play at home more than anything, I could conveniently answer No. But when I plug in it is none of the brands listed.

Ed
Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM

The only guitar of the 5 I have that doesn't have electronics is my Martin; however, I still play most of the time acoustically. I plug in mainly when I'm recording. I don't own a Taylor but I am considering getting one. But even if I get one with electronics, its most important feature will be how good it sounds acoustically.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
The only guitar of the 5 I have that doesn't have electronics is my Martin; however, I still play most of the time acoustically. I plug in mainly when I'm recording. I don't own a Taylor but I am considering getting one. But even if I get one with electronics, its most important feature will be how good it sounds acoustically.
I will anger some die-hard fans here by saying this but in general the Martins trump Taylors when played UNPLUGGED. The Martins sound way too good. I own 3 high-end Taylors and no Martins...
Old 09-07-2011, 12:56 PM

I have K & K minis in my Taylor and no longer use it since I no longer play out any more. So even when I practice I play unplugged.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM

I really see no need to practice plugged in but when it comes time to perform I'm going to use the Martin with the Aura system ...which sounds like a grand piano. I guess I'm kind of like The Most Interesting Man in the World......."I don't always play plugged in, but when I do it's a Martin!"
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Mostly Unplugged or Miked Now

Aloha,

Regular gigger here for 48 years who is now at 63 finally retiring from the "regular' part of that equation. I still play occasional house concerts & parties though & sit-in when I feel like it.

But I've been recording original song compilations a lot recently & have a great collection of mic pairs & pre's. Therefore, I mostly play unplugged or miked these days.

There is nothing like a great mic/pre combo in a treated space for that real natural acoustic guitar sound. I don't know why so many at-home players choose to plug-in rather than mic their guitars for better acoustic sound.

That said, I only play instruments that I have made. Factory instruments don't do it for me & can't fit my hands. For example, I gig with three 12-fret, 00/000 sized guitars I made over 30 years ago. Each has a 2" wide nut, 25.75" scale & 4-1/2" to 4-5/8" depths. Only a few custom shops offer that NOW & none at the manufacturers you mentioned. I just made the guitars that I needed to play.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-07-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Well, first of all... you REALLY NEED AN "OTHER" category...

As for me? I play probably 50-50% plugged or un-plugged... I'm fortunate to have the main floor of my house (I live alone) to use as my "music" room, and I keep my Bose system up and ready, whenever I want to play through it. I like to play and sing with that system; somehow, it seems more "official" or something, when I'm amplified?!!??

I recently took ownership of my new Goodall Grand Concert, so, of course, I've been playing it the most, of late... besides having a nice front room to play through the PA, I also have a smaller "sunroom", just off the kitchen; tile floors and only 2 parallel walls with a slanted ceiling and lots of glass; it is just a PERFECT room in which to play and sing, au naturale!

So, I bounce back and forth between the two... if I have a gig upcoming, I'll shift the focus more towards "plugged"...

play on................................................ .>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM

I only plug in if I'm doing a gig and need to be heard at across the venue. I never plug in when recording or practicing in my bedroom, i like the natural sound of the acoustic, not piezo.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM

I play plugged in at church, and also in my band......but nowhere near the majority of the time, and not with a Martin, Gibson, or Taylor.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 PM

I never plug in my acoustics. When I played in a band, we did 4 songs or so that I used my Taylor but not anymore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion