The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 AM

Any thoughts on attack? I know when I first went to thicker picks when I was less skilled, it sounded muffled to me. As I got better and my attack became more fluid and flexible, only a thicker pick would do.

I could get more snap out of single-note lines and retain the warmth and thickness of the note, and really mute out the clicking on the strum with an angle shift. Tone improved across the boards.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 AM

I've found grip has some impact. Choking up minimizes noise as does a firm but not overly tight grip. I imagine how the pick is held has an effect too.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgadi View Post
Any thoughts on attack? I know when I first went to thicker picks when I was less skilled, it sounded muffled to me. As I got better and my attack became more fluid and flexible, only a thicker pick would do.

I could get more snap out of single-note lines and retain the warmth and thickness of the note, and really mute out the clicking on the strum with an angle shift. Tone improved across the boards.
a thicker pick definitely has more attack. a thin pick flexes allot when it hits the strings where a thick pick just muscles threw the strings so it's going across the strings with more force. that brings out stronger attack and a fuller tone.
genz benz shenandoah acoustic 88
aria pro III
egnater tourmaster 4212

http://www.youtube.com/user/dannylightning

http://www.myspace.com/dannylightningrocks
Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 AM

It's all about material and bevel on thicker picks...My favorites have no "click"--I think thin picks have the "click," actually, whatever the material.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Picks are uber important, and to me thin pick equal thin sound.

I just got a TS from a former member and I have to say it is wonderful, but I must also say my Blue Chips are too. The TS is lighter (1.2) than my BC's (1.4-5) so a direct comparison is impossible but the TS seems a tad warmer.

Feel is amazingly similar, I have to say Blue Chip has done a great job of coming very very close to TS with a pick that just doesn't wear.

Picks count a lot, along with string choice, the rest is up to us..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 AM
strummin' an x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
I have picks (generally 1.0 mm and up) that sound fine with single-note lines, but sound clicky when I strum chords. By "clicky" I mean that I hear what sounds like the pick impacting the string before the string's vibration takes over.

Comments, anyone?
Someone else will undoubtedly be able to explain this better (or have a better way to achieve the same thing), but I've found it helps to angle the pick in one of two ways, if not both. The first is to angle the pick slightly towards 4 o'clock-ish (instead of parallel to the strings, flat on, at 3 o'clock); the second is to angle the pick slightly downwards in my hand.

Straight-on view: --\--

Sorta. What I'm talking about isn't nearly that pronounced of an angle, more a slight adjustment.

Okay, so I can't describe it well, but I can tell a definite difference if and when my pick is sounding clicky and I change the angle(s).

Try playing around with your pick attack angle, and especially don't let the pick lag/flap down the strings-- go on the offensive (hopefully without being offensive-- heh).

Or, wait until someone else more helpful comes along and describes a better technique with a clearer explanation.

~ S.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM

I used Fender mediums for years after experimenting w/ different materials, textures and thicknesses. I found that the more textured the pick the less ability I had to adjust my grip on the fly if it started to move. The Fender picks have a smooth surface, but it seems that I can adjust my grip mid song if neccessary.
I have always struggled w/ flat picking and I spoke w/ a Mandolin player and he showed me his pick and it was about the size of a half dollar, almost round, and thick w/ a rounded over edge. He said that it slides over the strings when he picks and a sharper piont and thinner pick will tend to get "hung up" on the strings, and tend to make a clatter.
I bought several cheap thick picks from various manufactuters and rounded the points off w/ a nail file and rounded the edges over, also. I found that the Fender heavy was the most comfortable and completly changed the tone of the guitar. I keep a few in each guitar case that are already pre-shaped and ready to go in case I lose the one that I keep in the strings.
I've been practicing my flatpicking and it seems that I'm getting a little better, but Ricky Skaggs or Pat Flynn aren't going to be losing any sleep worring about me.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM

I love this forum, information like this is just priceless.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieler View Post
Someone else will undoubtedly be able to explain this better (or have a better way to achieve the same thing), but I've found it helps to angle the pick in one of two ways, if not both. The first is to angle the pick slightly towards 4 o'clock-ish (instead of parallel to the strings, flat on, at 3 o'clock); the second is to angle the pick slightly downwards in my hand.

Sorta. What I'm talking about isn't nearly that pronounced of an angle, more a slight adjustment.

Okay, so I can't describe it well, but I can tell a definite difference if and when my pick is sounding clicky and I change the angle(s).

Try playing around with your pick attack angle, and especially don't let the pick lag/flap down the strings-- go on the offensive (hopefully without being offensive-- heh).

Or, wait until someone else more helpful comes along and describes a better technique with a clearer explanation.

~ S.
The website for one of the makers of acrylic picks discusses pick angle in regard to click. The explanation sounded a little off to me. However, based on your experience I guess I should revisit the issue.

I get what you're saying about sweeping swiftly across the strings. I have a 4.0 mm V-Pick ("The Snake") for which the lag/slap effect is very pronounced. At times I like the big, fat tone it produces, so I haven't given up on it. However, light strumming produces six, distinct clicks. Maybe the secret is to learn how to strum softly without slowing the sweeping motion. I'm still experimenting.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Here's the article I mentioned. The author uses the word "chirp" instead of "click". I'm not sure it's the same, but it could be. My high-frequency hearing loss causes me to hear very high tones as clicks.

http://v-picks.com/tipsdetails.php?t...F%3F%3F&page=1

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 09-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Im going to go against the grain and state that IMO strumming with a thicker pick generally sounds awful.

Ive tried a whole bunch of them, adjusted my attack, approach, right hand technique but they just sound harsh when strummed, especially across all the strings, better when riff strumming or picking.

The pick needs to flex a bit when its strummed to get a lush strumming tone, and you just aint going to get that when you start going 1mm plus.

From my experience between .60mm and 73mm is the sweet spot.

For picking and riff strumming where you dont need a lush strumming tone the thicker picks do work very well.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

Last edited by GibbyPrague; 09-04-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieler View Post

~ S.

If you go to Red Bear Trading Co. website they talk about this also. They make their picks either w/ a right bevel or left bevel depending on the angle of attack that you use to strum or pick.
Here is the link.

http://www.redbeartrading.com/
Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
Im going to go against the grain and state that IMO strumming with a thicker pick generally sounds awful.
+1. I hate strumming with anything thicker than .73mm.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
If you go to Red Bear Trading Co. website they talk about this also. They make their picks either w/ a right bevel or left bevel depending on the angle of attack that you use to strum or pick.
Here is the link.

http://www.redbeartrading.com/
A potentially confusing aspect of this discussion is the fact that angle of attack can be expressed in one of two ways.
  • Rotation of the pick about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the strings.
  • Rotation of the pick about an axis parallel to the strings
As I understand it, the purpose of the bevel is to faclitate the first, above.

There's a third axis, perpendicular to each of the above, but I don't believe any of us is talking about that one. (Rotating about that axis would consist approximately of shifting the position of the pick within one's grip but not changing the position of the hand.)

Old 09-04-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post

Ive tried a whole bunch of them, adjusted my attack, approach, right hand technique but they just sound harsh when strummed, especially across all the strings, better when riff strumming or picking.

The pick needs to flex a bit when its strummed to get a lush strumming tone, and you just aint going to get that when you start going 1mm plus.

From my experience between .60mm and 73mm is the sweet spot.

For picking and riff strumming where you dont need a lush strumming tone the thicker picks do work very well.
Tell that to a bluegrass player!

It's all about personal preference and technique...there's plenty of cats out there that can get a beautiful strumming tone with a fat pick.

On another note: Do people really pick with the pick face parallel to the string though? I figured everybody was approaching the string at some kind of angle...it's so much more natural and so much better for accuracy...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion