The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Mediums on my Webber Round Body!!!

I've had a Webber Roundbody for a year or so. It's a great guitar. I know they come from the shop with mediums but I've always had lights on mine. Today I need a re-string and thought I'd try mediums. Wow, sounds bigger now. Anyone else have the same thing happen?...or is it in my head?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 PM

That is what its supposed to do, physics and engineering. More steel (more mass) vibrating at the same frequency equals more energy into the soundboard. Thus, more volume. Its beginner / intermediate rocket science! I think a guitar is a wonderful conglomeration of science, art, engineering, music, and carpentry. Building them is what has captured my imagination and stolen all my spare time for almost 5 years now. I can't stop, number 24 is on the bench right now with freshly glued bindings....

Happily intoxicated, Mikey
Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Default Mediums on my Webber Rounbody

Definately a difference.
I usually have mediums on mine, but just recently changed to lights for a change of pace.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 PM
The Foreigner

Considering that most Webbers are built and braced to handle mediums, it's reasonable to assume the change wasn't simply "in your head"

I play with a lot of bends and vibrato, though, so the highest gauge I've ever tried was med-light (light top, 0.012" to medium bottom, 0.056"). More recently, I decided to sacrifice some tone for playability and and go back to lights
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Since changing from mediums to elixir lights (12's) I've really enjoyed my Webber more. Slightly less volume, but the playability makes up for it-- plus the hammer ons, etc are so much more responsive with the lights...

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion