The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2009, 01:22 AM

Addicted is such a harsh word. Can't we just say obsessed...no that's no good either. how about infatuated.... no that sounds like just an immature crush.

Yes, I guess addicted is about right. I spend way too much time here, or on the Larrivee forum or on the Leftyfrets forum. I go into every guitar shop I see. Since I'm a salesman covering a large territory I am near guitars stores almost daily. I can't ever resist just stopping in for minute to see if I spot any lefties on the wall. I keep a different guitar on a stand in three rooms of my house so I'll always have one within reach if I have the urge to pick a little.
It's a wonder I ever get any chores done around here with the time I devote to all things guitar. A third of my very large bookcase is devoted to guitar books and guitar player bios.

Please tell me there's someone who's got it worse than me when it comes to addiction.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 AM

Default PLay

Quote:
yes, get one of those guitars out and play it!!! mikeB.
You know he's right. Browsing guitar shops and grazing the net will not improve your playing. PLaying will improve your playing.

Have "goals" like to play song solo by Friday and stick with that. Get addictec to accomplishing playing threshholds .. spend at least 2 hours PLAYING every day -- but not just anything -- with a goal and a date for the goal.

THEN your addiction will result in a better guitar player. You will be pleased with where it got you.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I'm just trying to find out if I (actually a friend of mine) needs help?...well I know I need help!. I have all of the guitars I'll ever need but I can't stay out of music stores or off the forum or e-bay...anyway. How many times a day do you check the AGF?
Is 7-10 too many?...I have a friend who checks it 10 times a day at least and i'm worried about him?...
A good measure is to ask yourself (and answer honestly) if it is impacting your life negatively: family, job, finances, etc. If it is yes to any of those, it is a problem that you should come to terms with. If your life is good, not overly in debt, loved ones and boss are good with you......I think it is not much to concern over.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. Power View Post
We post the same inquiries in the camera forum I spend a lot of time on. Fredmiranda.com. They have the best buy-sell forum on the internet.
I'm a one-obsession-at-a-time kind of guy. I gave up reading every camera magazine and visiting every forum about two years ago when I regularly started visiting the Gibson, Martin, Collings, Takamine, Santa Cruz and the Taylor/AGF forums. At various times, I also frequented the Telecaster forum and the Mandolin Cafe (highly recommended).
Gibson Jackson Browne Model 1
Gibson J-45 Studio
Taylor 714CE
Takamine Glenn Frey Signature
Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Between this one and the Gibson board my wife thinks I'm obsessed. Can't really argue with her.
GIBSON BOARD!!?????..
Old 11-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. Power View Post
We post the same inquiries in the camera forum I spend a lot of time on. Fredmiranda.com. They have the best buy-sell forum on the internet.
Camera forum!!!!...(I was a pro photographer for 3 years!...)
This just keeps getting worse!
Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks guys...those comments help...
(by the way...I have company over for a few days for Thanksgiving...I'm sending this from the "throne"...)...glad the web cam isn't working!!!...
Glad to hear I'm O.K.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:35 AM

Wow $ongWriter:
From the throne???!!! Now that my friend is some **** fine and serious "dedaddictiocation"...BRAVO man BRAVO...by the way, are you sure the webcam is not working????hmmmmmmm???
Very Best Regards
duff
Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffythepug View Post
Addicted is such a harsh word. Can't we just say obsessed...no that's no good either. how about infatuated.... no that sounds like just an immature crush.

Yes, I guess addicted is about right. I spend way too much time here, or on the Larrivee forum or on the Leftyfrets forum. I go into every guitar shop I see. Since I'm a salesman covering a large territory I am near guitars stores almost daily. I can't ever resist just stopping in for minute to see if I spot any lefties on the wall. I keep a different guitar on a stand in three rooms of my house so I'll always have one within reach if I have the urge to pick a little.
It's a wonder I ever get any chores done around here with the time I devote to all things guitar. A third of my very large bookcase is devoted to guitar books and guitar player bios.

Please tell me there's someone who's got it worse than me when it comes to addiction.
Let's just go with the flow of society...get a class action lawsuit against the Internet, because after all, if it were not for the Internet, we would not be addicted. GAS is not our fault...we are victims of evil guitar companies and subliminal advertising.

There, now I have justified things enough to go look at sites with guitars I really want but can't yet afford. Gotta go look and drool.

Oh yes, TURKEY TODAY!!! family is coming, and a sewveral have the syndrome I share so maybe we can form a support group and go hide in the back of the house where the stringed things live.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

You may have something....I'm a ..a...a...VICTIM!!...

Boy, I'm glad I posted this....I feel much better...you guys are nuts!!!!!

Thanks,
Jeff
(currently in denial phase)
Old 11-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Hi All:
Here is my favorite quote about golfers, which I think totally applies to all of us here on the AGF. The quote is actually a title of a golf book by writer/humorist Dan Jenkins...

All of us with the GAS syndrome can just call ourselves:

"THE DOGGED VICTIMS OF INEXORABLE FATE"

yup...

Very Best Regards...and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you fine folks!!!
duff
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 AM

Default I don't think of it as addiction

I just don't have any friends locally that are into guitars. That I can talk to at the drop of a hat. Now if I were into sports... That would be different. Of course, then I'd be checking websites for stats or something.

Gibson A2Z (1924), KoAloha Concert, Petersen Bouzouki, Squier Tele
Too many humidifiers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion