The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Heavily reliced acoustics might be a bit much, but I think a "NOS" look to some vintage Martin reissues would be cool and might have a market. Some play wear, but not too much.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDavid View Post
Me neither--what is the point? To fool/mislead someone who knows something about vintage instruments?
The character in a true "relic" (it is obvious) comes from years of experience

We are in agreement on both counts. . .
I'm not doing it to "fool" anyone into thinking it's vintage. I do think that would be wrong. I just like the look!. My Gurian has alot of miles on it and it looks like it. I don't even think I'd like it if it was in perfect condition...it has lots of mojo...
Old 11-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
a few years ago, I started a thread on a similar topic that Eric mentioned... with Fender's Relic and NOS series, would the same kind of worn, aged look appeal to acoustic players. I, too, like the looks of old Martins and Gibsons that have the finish worn off and a fair amount of dings and scratches, and wondered how successful a similar approach from Martin would work. Furniture makers sometimes relic their creations with chains and other "distressing" implements. Why not guitars?

To say it was not a popular idea is an understatement. Some of the comments bordered on insulting from that old thread.

Although I have a bunch of Tele's and Strat's - none are reliced. My 15 year old Taylor K20 is well worn, sitka top is dark orange/brown and it has some nicks and dings - all earned honestly through playing it a lot. Still, a new looking guitar does not have the same kind of vibe that a reliced looking one has. If it puts you mentally in a better place to relic your Garrison, go right ahead. I think it's a cool idea.
Thanks for the comments. Some people do seem to take this way to seriously. Again, if this was a $4000 guitar I wouldn't try it...Guess I'm looking at it like it might make a rather bland looking, decent sounding beater guitar into a "cooler" guitar....?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:11 PM

Loan it to Willie Nelson for a year.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 11-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
That's good advice...that would work...
Hi $W...
Wade left out the part about when having others play don't have them wash their hands, nor remove belt buckles or wrist spikes, watches etc.

I'd recommend looking at old guitars you have 'admired' and trying to emulate what you saw. Perhaps rub some sand-laden-dirt across the top and let it sit on the finish for a day or two before removing it (we are talking the Garrison right?).

I liked the suggestions of wear spots - those could be duplicated with sandpaper and then rub some sand over them to darken them and make them look authentic.

Whatever you do, please post pics!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi $W...
Wade left out the part about when having others play don't have them wash their hands, nor remove belt buckles or wrist spikes, watches etc.

I'd recommend looking at old guitars you have 'admired' and trying to emulate what you saw. Perhaps rub some sand-laden-dirt across the top and let it sit on the finish for a day or two before removing it (we are talking the Garrison right?).

I liked the suggestions of wear spots - those could be duplicated with sandpaper and then rub some sand over them to darken them and make them look authentic.

Whatever you do, please post pics!
Hey, that sand-laden-dirt is a good idea....thanks...if I get the nerve up I'll post pics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion