The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Ever relic'ed and acoustic

I have a Garrison guitar that I bought off of evil bay. I knew the top had some cracks in the finish but I was ok with that. When I got it I sanded off the 1/2 inch or so of shallac on the cedar top and put a few coats of polyurethane stain on it. I took off the hideous oversized black pick guard and added a smaller tortis one. The guitar now sounds great...especially for a "beater" !!!....however, I think I wanna relic it now...does anyone here know the best way to do that??....
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM

Throw at guitar, stab guitar, scratch guitar as desired.

/joke

www.andrewsullivanmusic.com

Facebook - YouTube - Twitter - Instagram
Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I have a Garrison guitar that I bought off of evil bay. I knew the top had some cracks in the finish but I was ok with that. When I got it I sanded off the 1/2 inch or so of shallac on the cedar top and put a few coats of polyurethane stain on it. I took off the hideous oversized black pick guard and added a smaller tortis one. The guitar now sounds great...especially for a "beater" !!!....however, I think I wanna relic it now...does anyone here know the best way to do that??....
One thing you can try is to sand off a lot of the finish, and put a few coats of polyurethane stain on it. Switching pickguards might help, as well. (G)

This is my smart aleck way of telling you that you already have "relic'ed it" -- horrible term. And don't forget to take a heavy sander, put some holes in it so it looks like heavy playing had worn a big hole in the top.

You can call it "Buttermilk." (Don't make me explain this.)

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Uh, play it out a lot and leave it out of the case most of the time? And ask anyone you meet to play it?

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
One thing you can try is to sand off a lot of the finish, and put a few coats of polyurethane stain on it. Switching pickguards might help, as well. (G)

This is my smart aleck way of telling you that you already have "relic'ed it" -- horrible term. And don't forget to take a heavy sander, put some holes in it so it looks like heavy playing had worn a big hole in the top.

You can call it "Buttermilk." (Don't make me explain this.)

Ken C.
Dear, Smart Allec, (just kidding)
I know it sounds like I've already done that but the guitar actually looks pretty good now. The cheaper Garrisons such as this had horrible finishes, way too much clear coat, and the polyurethane stain actually looks really good on the cedar top. I just hate to start beating the crap out of the guitar and then realize that it just looks beat up instead of relic'ed. I know, I'll try it with one of my Taylors first....lol
Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Buttermilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
. . . You can call it "Buttermilk." (Don't make me explain this.)
Ken C.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

$ongwriter,

You can guess from the reactions you're getting that at least some people at the AGF are not too enthusiastic about purposely beating up on a perfectly good guitar. If it sounds good, why not enjoy it? Why beat it up?

For my part, I have never understood why anyone would want to buy a guitar that was purposely knicked up or "relic'd", whether it's electric or acoustic. I'd rather have a perfect condition '54 Strat than a knicked up one, and I certainly wouldn't pay somebody to do this to a guitar.

Why not leave well enough alone and enjoy the guitar as is?

- Glenn
Old 11-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Eric Skye

I’ve often wondered, with the huge success of Fender’s Relic line, and many boutique electric builders following suit with Tele and Strat copies, if Martin would ever do something like that? I love looking at pictures of prewar D18’s with all the finish checking, etc... I wonder if there would be a market for that?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM

a few years ago, I started a thread on a similar topic that Eric mentioned... with Fender's Relic and NOS series, would the same kind of worn, aged look appeal to acoustic players. I, too, like the looks of old Martins and Gibsons that have the finish worn off and a fair amount of dings and scratches, and wondered how successful a similar approach from Martin would work. Furniture makers sometimes relic their creations with chains and other "distressing" implements. Why not guitars?

To say it was not a popular idea is an understatement. Some of the comments bordered on insulting from that old thread.

Although I have a bunch of Tele's and Strat's - none are reliced. My 15 year old Taylor K20 is well worn, sitka top is dark orange/brown and it has some nicks and dings - all earned honestly through playing it a lot. Still, a new looking guitar does not have the same kind of vibe that a reliced looking one has. If it puts you mentally in a better place to relic your Garrison, go right ahead. I think it's a cool idea.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Folks in the classical string instrument biz do this all the time. I'm not sure what the process is. Definitely consult a luthier (especially one who works on violins, violas, etc.).
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 11-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

New mandolins are sometimes distressed (that's the term used in the mandolin world). Gibson's most expensive new models are their distressed master model mandolins, aged to look like a vintage Loar. I've never understood the appeal. I think in the violin world there's a certain distain for new instruments because "quality" and "professional" are so strongly associated with violins from the 1700s. But this seems a bit silly to me when the goal is to make a new instrument look like one that's 80 years old; especially when you consider that an 80-year-old instrument that looks brand new (and is original) would be worth more than one that has taken a beating over the years. I, too, like the look of natural aging. It's kind of like the character you see on the faces of some older people. But I wouldn't recommend that a teenager try to simulate that look as a beauty enhancement. Age and youth both have their charms in people and instruments. trying to feign either seems like a bad idea to me. Just my opinion, though and I'm cool with people doing whatever they like to their instruments.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
. . . I've never understood the appeal. . .
Me neither--what is the point? To fool/mislead someone who knows something about vintage instruments?
The character in a true "relic" (it is obvious) comes from years of experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Just my opinion, though and I'm cool with people doing whatever they like to their instruments.
We are in agreement on both counts. . .
Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM

Default sounds like a neat idea

i know ive seen people use chain to relic furniture.....

i would find a pic of a old guitar that you like the way it looks and try to copy it, i know "removing" some finish right on the sound hole below the e string will be a start....

Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I’ve often wondered, with the huge success of Fender’s Relic line, and many boutique electric builders following suit with Tele and Strat copies, if Martin would ever do something like that? I love looking at pictures of prewar D18’s with all the finish checking, etc... I wonder if there would be a market for that?
I think there would be. I love the look of old gibsons that have had the crap beat out of them but i've never done that to a guitar. Anyway, If I do it to this one I'll post some before and after pictures and let people decide. I may not get up the nerve though....
Old 11-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Thurman View Post
Uh, play it out a lot and leave it out of the case most of the time? And ask anyone you meet to play it?
That's good advice...that would work...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion