The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 PM

I use Dunlop Jazz IIIs, red for a mellower tone, black for a little more bite.

This may seem odd, but I tried them out on a recommendation and I feel they have improved my playing.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Jim Dunlop .88s & AXL mediums

Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Red Bear Mediums almost all the time and Dunop Ultex 1.0 when I don't feel like worrying about losing or giving out a spare pick.

I've also started using the V-Picks more and more lately, but Red bear is still my #1 pick.

Perhaps I should change my username to Made In Japan now?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Fender Celluloid Mediums, I have ordered almost every color now. You basically HAVE to get them online. I remember I went to guitar center and I was like I'll have two packs please. SIX DOLLARS APIECE! On MF I ordered a couple boxes at $3.40 apiece. Sheesh what a markup.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I use the Dunlop nylon and I like the 0.60mm thickness. Do you think I'd like the v-pick. All the reviews I read are great...however they are on the
manufacture website...
yes, but you will resist at first thinking that the picks are too thick, you must fight through this and give the pick a chance................it took me a few hours of playing with different v-picks (widths & sizes) but I am sold on these picks......
Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Plain old fender thin's (much easier on my dogs digestive system if/when he picks up the dropped ones) I like the different colors as they provide entertainment on the other end
Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarNz View Post
Fender Celluloid Mediums, I have ordered almost every color now. You basically HAVE to get them online. I remember I went to guitar center and I was like I'll have two packs please. SIX DOLLARS APIECE! On MF I ordered a couple boxes at $3.40 apiece. Sheesh what a markup.
Me too! Call me boring. I try others, and keep coming back.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 PM

Picks, like strings and guitars themselves, are very subjective. The best way to find out what you like is to buy a BIG assortment, and try them ... or in the case of the more pricey ones, see if you can borrow one!

I have settled into using Clayton Ultem Gold Rounded Triangles, and I have remained quite content for about three years. But I prefer different thicknesses for different situations. To me, the light end is a .80, and the heavy end is a 1.20. I use the .94 most often. I also use a 1.07 from time to time. To further confuse the issue, I will bevel the edges of the 1.07s and the 1.20s. Why? Because I like the sound better that way, and because thicker picks with rough edges drastically increase the propensity to break strings.

My experience is that the lighter range of picks will give a brighter sound, and more projection. The heavier range will have less clarity, a more mellow tone, and less projection, even though they often make a guitar LOUDER because strummers strum harder. I will typically go 1 step lighter on a rosewood guitar than mahogany.

I have tried the Red Bear picks, Dawg picks, and even if they were the same price (I can get 40 Claytons for the price of 1 Red Bear) I would not switch. Different people like different things. If you get a room full of world class flatpickers, you would have a room full of different picks.

If you take a twenty dollar bill down to a store that sells single picks, and doesn't make you buy packages of 6 or 10 or whatever, and buy an assortment of shapes, sizes, materials, and thicknesses, and then some rainy Saturday start pickin' ... after awhile, you'll figure out what you like, and that's all that really matters. As much as people enjoy arguing about strings, the pick you use has a MUCH more dramatic affect on sound than strings ever will!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantgsc View Post
What happens when you pick your friends nose with a Dunlop Ultex 1.14?
Usually the heavier the pick, the warmer the sound. I really dislike those flimsy light picks. Too clattery. (Is that word?)
Yeah......"clattery" is a word. If you have money in the bank, pay your bills, and your credit it good, you've got good clattery!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM

I have a large collection of picks in all sizes, thickness and shapes. I have tried the red bear picks and some other high $ picks, but my favorite is still my stash of TS picks. My next choice would be the Clayton Ultem gold triangle picks in the heavier gauge (.94+) . In my tests they are the closest to the sound of real shell.

Just my opinion,
Darrel
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Dunlop Ultex .73mm almost exclusively.. excellent grip, great for picking and strumming

Bong.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster
Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
midge

I have a large collection of picks. For 12 string my favorites are celluloid Fender heavies or for faster strumming celluloid D'andrea med/heavy which are .84mm, I think.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:33 AM

I use medium and heavy delrin Slick Picks by Fred Kelly for fingerpicking, flatpicking and stumming.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:15 PM

I just went back to COOL picks-Heavy.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy1971 View Post
I use Dunlop Jazz IIIs, red for a mellower tone, black for a little more bite.

This may seem odd, but I tried them out on a recommendation and I feel they have improved my playing.
+1 I completely agree!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion