The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2003, 12:18 AM

Default Which Limited?

I've been thinking about getting a 414ce 2003 Fall Limited. The question is which - L1, L2 or L3?

I have no way to try & choose since none of the Taylor dealers in my area stock any of them (I had briefly tried a 314ce L1 though).

Does anybody own any of these yet? I've seen enough specs, with few pics, on Taylor's website. I just need some real life experience from someone who has played or owned any of them. What's the reason why you choose one instead of another?

How long did you have to wait after ordering it? How much did you pay (pls email me)? Oh, what about posting some pics here?

Please share your thoughts.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:12 PM

I have one of the 714CE Summer Limiteds, and a 314CE L-2 Fall Limited. I wanted a maple for my "playing out" guitar, and was thrilled to get one for 300 series prices. If it were my "one and only" guitar, the 400 series in rosewood is essentially an 800 series at a bargin price. All of the rosewood I've seen on these has been good, and the tone is that of a much more expensive guitar. Just my opinion.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 10-20-2003, 02:53 AM

In fact, my indirect question was the difference in tonewood, aside from the fact that the L3 has the asthetic doves on the peghead & the fretboard.

The 414ce L1 has what Taylor claimed the rare Imbuia b&s (btw, how true is it that it's rare?), the L2 has the Rosewood (you can't go wrong with Rosewood, or can you? Well, the anwser is the usual "it depends, I guess? What do you all think?), whereas the L3 has the Mahogany which, according the pic in the Taylor website, and IMO, has a cosmetically color wise less "interesting" contrast western red Cedar top.

Since this post is a few days old & has only one reply (btw, thanks John for your opinion even though you don't actually own the exact model in question. I really appreciate that.) May I expand the question regarding to the tonewood mentioned above? Or what about you who own similar model?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:40 AM

If you are interested, I can give you the store name and asking price. e-mail me at [email protected] for details. This guitar is a real winner. You may not get mega store prices at this store but they will generally deal fairly and are a good local store. Chris
Matthew 6:33
(formerly cc)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion