The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Play Plugged-in Majority of the Time? If So, What Brand?
NO 67 85.90%
YES - Taylor 8 10.26%
YES - Martin 3 3.85%
YES - Gibson 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM

I never plug in at home or at rehearsal. Live, I used to always plug in, but it got to the point where I just couldn't stand the sound of any pickup, so I went to a microphone. Guys in my church choir have Taylors, and they plug them in. I think the Expression System is one of the least offensive amplified sounds, but it still sounds pretty bad. I recently bought guitars with USTs and have been experimenting at home with a Fishman Aura Sixteen pedal. I think I've found combinations that sound quite natural. Choir season starts again on Sunday, and I'm planning to go back to plugging in, with the Aura. I'm going to bring along a good mic, just in case.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big.Al View Post
I never plug in at home or at rehearsal. Live, I used to always plug in, but it got to the point where I just couldn't stand the sound of any pickup, so I went to a microphone. Guys in my church choir have Taylors, and they plug them in. I think the Expression System is one of the least offensive amplified sounds, but it still sounds pretty bad. I recently bought guitars with USTs and have been experimenting at home with a Fishman Aura Sixteen pedal. I think I've found combinations that sound quite natural. Choir season starts again on Sunday, and I'm planning to go back to plugging in, with the Aura. I'm going to bring along a good mic, just in case.
Thank you!
That's been my sentiment for decades, but you've expressed it so much better.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Yeah, I do, even at home. For one, it's fun. It also helps identify problems you might have with your system on a gig. Better to find them at home. Make of instrument is not a factor. I own and use several.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Just out of curiosity: What's wrong with playing an acoustic guitar acoustically?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
AGF Administrator

I only plug in when I absolutely have to. Otherwise it's entirely acoustic or mic'd. I don't like the sound of a plugged-in guitar.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Just out of curiosity: What's wrong with playing an acoustic guitar acoustically?
Who said that? No one.
I have to amp my guitar up cus:
I play infront of 200 to 300 people every week.
there are keyboards, a piano, a drum set, an electric guitar, bass that are all amplofied as well.
So should I bring an acoustic guitar and play acoustically and not be heard?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Nope. 99.9% of the time I play unplugged.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I only plug in when I absolutely have to. Otherwise it's entirely acoustic or mic'd. I don't like the sound of a plugged-in guitar.
For me, it's a volume thing, too. I mean how loud does it have to be? I'm not deaf - I can hear an acoustic perfectly clearly at home.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Nope. I switched to acoustics so I wouldn't have to plug in anymore.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

For about the past year, I almost always played unplugged. Most of my playing is now at home or in our small church so I do not need the PA system for amplification. However, I recently played at two other churches for Saturday Night Gospel Sings so I plugged into my PA System.

Whether I am playing acoustically or plugged in, I love my Taylor sound. To me it produces a very nice sound

Note: When I played in a gospel group, I always plugged into the PA system. We had two guitars, a bass, and electronic drums. We always kept our volume down, but really blended the sounds of all instruments and vocals rather well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion