The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Default What Uniqueness Do Each Manufacturers Have?

I hope this thread becomes a helpful reference to those who don't have the opportunity to play guitars from these manufacturers.

What are the PROs and uniqueness, in general, of guitars manufactured by these three big boys?

1. Martin
2. Gibson
3. Taylor

Sorry, no disrespect intended for other manufacturers but just want to limit it to these three big factory manufacturers.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM

For Taylor, I think the NT neck is great. I see it as a pro, others as a con (those who prefer the dovetail neck joint).

I also think Taylors are great plugged in and super playable.

This should be an interesting thread.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Cruncher View Post
What are the PROs and uniqueness, in general, of guitars manufactured by these three big boys?
1. Martin: Tradition
2. Gibson: Electrics
3. Taylor: Electric-Acoustics
Old 09-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Martin: Tradition, cannon, bassy but still balanced, +1 in acoustic sound, their dreadnoughts rule, great strummers

Taylor: Neck, Expression system, +1 in acoustic electric sound (plugged in sound), Grand Symphony and Grand Auditorium rules, great for fingerstyle

Gibson: ... (this is why I started this thread) I just don't know much about them
Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Gibsons have their own sound that's hard to define. There's a certain rough (in a good way) twang -- perhaps it's an emphasis on mid-tones. Bass is strong but with less sustain and boom than a Martin. Trebles are less bright than a Taylor. Of course, none of this can give you any idea at all of what they actually sound like. I'm not even sure I've characterized the sound accurately. It's hard to dissect into its components. And, of course, different models of Gibson sound different from one another. But all (or most) seem to have that "twang" to some degree. I think it's what makes them work so well for blues, country, and some rock.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Guild was left off the list.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Martin: Tradition, cannon, bassy but still balanced, +1 in acoustic sound, their dreadnoughts rule, great strummers

Taylor: Neck, Expression system, +1 in acoustic electric sound (plugged in sound), Grand Symphony and Grand Auditorium rules, great for fingerstyle

Gibson: ... (this is why I started this thread) I just don't know much about them
Internally, Gibsons are noted for their widespread X-bracing, which crosses about 1 inch behind the soundhole. Your typical Martin X-brace (which just about everybody copies) is about 94 degrees, give or take a degree. Gibsons, on the other hand have a 102 degree X-brace on the round-shouldered dreadnoughts, 106 degrees on the jumbos and 98 degrees on the square-shouldered dreads. This accounts for their characteristic sound, but can also lead to problems with the top bellying behind the bridge, if you don't take care of them.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 AM

These are generalities-and the lines will cross but:

Martin- Strong Bass, Clear Trebles- lends itself well to strong strumming and flatpicking- popular in Folk, Country, Self Accompanyment, and especially Bluegrass..

Gibson- Good punchy, Thumpy, mid-range strumming with typically less sustain than the others. Great for Blues, Rock, Folk, and Country.

Taylor- Excellent clarity-not too bassy with shimmering highs- Very good for fingerstyle as the mids and highs are pronounced. Good mid-level strummer but may compress with a heavy hand. Strong reputation for neck playability.

Enter at your own risk...

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 AM

In the case of Martin and Gibson, one of the appeals is the connection you feel to all the other players who have used them going back to the 19th century.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 AM
PIT74827

Quote:
I hope this thread becomes a helpful reference to those who don't have the opportunity to play guitars from these manufacturers.

1. Martin
2. Gibson
3. Taylor

Sorry, no disrespect intended for other manufacturers but just want to limit it to these three big factory manufacturers.
My ear rating: 1) Martin 2) Taylor 3) Gibson
My hand rating: 1) Taylor 2) Martin 3) Gibson
My eye rating: Same as ear

I've owned 5 Martins - D-35, D12-35, D-18, DM and an OMC-16E Koa.
I've own one Taylor - 310LE (Legends)
Never owned a Gibson. Nothing in their product line ever suited my ears, though I still hold out hope.

As I progressed my ear changed and I began looking for something else. My ratings above are current as I do go to GC periodically and peruse the selection they have. I will admit that there was one particular Gibson Dove that had a very nice sound to it. Whoever bought that one obviously agreed.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

How they sound.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gibson's acoustics have a vibe to their midrange that evokes in me a semi-diesel rig cruising down the highway at 70 MPH on a bright sunshiny day. Listen to early Bob Dylan albums and you'll hear (and, hopefully, see ) what I mean! Check out "Highway 51 Blues" or "Gospel Plow" from his eponymous first album, Bob Dylan, and listen to his Gibson J-50 hum!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggs View Post
Guild was left off the list.
No doubt...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion