The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Question about "out of tune..neck problems"

Need help with my Gurian. Here's the deal. I bought it real cheap. But, I spent $900 with repairs. (replaced brace and neck re-set...the block had failed). Anyway, It's all beat up and really has alot of mojo. It also has a broken but repaired and stalbe neck. It just seems to never get totally in tune. I know the fret board is not level. It has a dip. I just wondered if a fret leveling would help the problem. Or maybe a replaced and leveled fret board. Or maybe new frets..or maybe....what?
Any help would be appreciated!..

Last edited by $ongWriter; 11-04-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: change word
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM

Best thing you can do is to take it to a knowledgeable repairman & get his advice.
05 GRETSCH 6120 AM(THE PROM QUEEN)
03 FENDER JAGUAR REISSUE
86 GUILD G37
01 GUILD STARFIRE 4
99 GUILD F65CE
97 GUILD S4CE
06 FENDER STRAT

THE BEST PLACE TO FIND A HELPING HAND IS AT THE END OF YOUR ARM.

PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT. ONLY PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHolmes View Post
Best thing you can do is to take it to a knowledgeable repairman & get his advice.
Agreed...don't see how you'll get an accurate diagnosis otherwise...
Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 AM

Love my Gurians!!

My most recent purchase ('72 s3r)had all those neck problems and more, and we decided to forgo trying to fix something with issues, and just carved a new neck. It was worth every cent that I paid for it!!! Amazing instrument!!!

Since you have already spent $900 on repairs (ouch), you may not want to do this... My new neck/trussrod/fingerboard/ and other repairs "only" totalled $1,000. And you would never know it's a new neck.

Which model is yours?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter

.... It also has a broken but repaired and stable neck. It just seems to never get totally in tune....
My first thought is that maybe the broken/repaired neck isn't as stable as you might think. If it was me, I'd take it to that guitar shop at the corner of 4th & Broad in Nashville. You know the one I'm talkin' about, right?

Gruhn's is a world class joint, and a guitar as good as a Gurian deserves to be evaluated by top-notch repair techs.

Mark
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherford View Post
Love my Gurians!!

My most recent purchase ('72 s3r)had all those neck problems and more, and we decided to forgo trying to fix something with issues, and just carved a new neck. It was worth every cent that I paid for it!!! Amazing instrument!!!

Since you have already spent $900 on repairs (ouch), you may not want to do this... My new neck/trussrod/fingerboard/ and other repairs "only" totalled $1,000. And you would never know it's a new neck.

Which model is yours?
It's a jumbo. Mahog back and sides. The coolest thing about it is the top. It has some real neat matched bear clawing behind the bridge. I love the tone.
Plus it's got all the neat bumps and bruises that I'd hate to do to a guitar but I love one once it's that way...funny, ain't it!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion