The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Good thing there's no way to transmit the SMELL of that durian fruit over the Internet, Mmmaak!

For those of you puzzling over that little exchange, you should know that durian's nickname in certain circles is "the corpse fruit," because it has a stink to it like decomposing flesh. It's my understanding that in Singapore it's illegal to eat durian in enclosed spaces like elevators and buses.

whm
Some say it smells like wet, mouldy socks.

I say....durian season is just around the corner (July) and I'll be making the 100 mile pilgrimage back home just to eat the stuff all day
(my hometown is "infamous" for it)

I take it you've had the durian experience in person, Wade?
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
I take it you've had the durian experience in person, Wade?
Oh, yes. It's delicious, but it smells so bad you wonder who was ever brave enough (or hungry enough) to get past the stink to discover that the fruit itself tastes wonderful.

As an American with a great deal of Scottish and Irish ancestry, I've also had "the haggis experience" (boiled sheep's stomach) and living in Alaska, as I do, I've also tried "muktuk," which is fermented whale blubber.

Haggis is surprisingly tasty, but the muktuk I tried was vile.

Vile!

No other word for it....

Wade Hampton "I'm Not Wild About Lutefisk Or Pickled Herring, Either" Miller
Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Good thing there's no way to transmit the SMELL of that durian fruit over the Internet, Mmmaak!

For those of you puzzling over that little exchange, you should know that durian's nickname in certain circles is "the corpse fruit," because it has a stink to it like decomposing flesh. It's my understanding that in Singapore it's illegal to eat durian in enclosed spaces like elevators and buses.

whm
Wade
I've heard that eating durians was "illegal" too, but suspect that's just an "urban legend"? Eating anything on elevators, or buses is illegal in Singapore! They're serious about manners there too!

IIRC, in Singapore, chewing gum is illegal, and doing so, will get the chewer a $200 fine? Public spitters sometimes get tossed in jail!

I get pretty squeamish about eating unusual things myself! Eating durians would only be for the prevention of starvation, and starvation would be only for the prevention of eating a haggis! <G>

Don
Old 06-03-2009, 01:39 AM

As it happens, the first time I ever ate haggis was in Hong Kong, at a restaurant that served British food. This was when Hong Kong was still a British Crown Colony. (I've since had it in both the UK and the United States.)

I'm not especially squeamish about food, though I won't eat any eyeballs that are identifiable as such. But my mother always used to say: "Wade will eat anything that won't bite back, and some things that will!"

No more muktuk, though, thank you.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM

I sit down daily to a Gurian jumbo. A 'D' made in New Hampshire just before the fire. And everyday I can't believe how unique it sounds, how well it records, and how well it lends itself to each of the styles I play...

That said, the neck is narrow -- 1 5/8 -- which, as a long-time Strat player, I can manage; but it takes patience, sometimes a lot of patience...

I've heard others say, and I agree, that if it weren't for the fire (and the economy in 1981 that kept him from bouncing back), Michael Gurian would've been a major player today.

Not that anyone asked, but if I found another Gurian for sale (and I look all the time) I'd buy it without hesitation.

They truly don't make them like that anymore...

Have a great day everyone!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion