The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor Short Scales???

I got a Taylor short scale because I heard they are supposed to help people with wrist pain while playing. (due to less string tension) I've had the guitar awhile and really haven't found this to be true. Has anyone else had any
experience with this?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM

With the short-scale Taylors there is a slight decrease in string tension and slighly shorter distance between frets. But if you have a chronic wrist problem I think that it may not make enough of a difference to help.
Also, be sure to have the guitar setup for the lowest action possible without fret buzz. Although Taylor does a great setup at the factory, changes in humidity and temperature can create the need to have it adjusted.
Taylor 516ce Ltd. Koa
Bose PAS
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Default The more you play....

For me the more I play a short scale Taylor, the more I appreciate it. I agree with the above post about the wrist pain issue.

If you're anything like me..... If you play a short scale for a few months then pick up a regular scale guitar, after just minutes of playing your hands will start to get more fatigued than they normally would.

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 PM

I love the short scale. I first played it on the T5, and then it's going to be on my next Custom.

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 PM

I notice a small difference on my 410-E-LTD due to the short scale from that of my other Taylor....not huge, but it is noticeable. Can get some of the reaches more comfortably, and the lighter tension has to help with fatigue.
1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline
2001 Gibson ES-335 ESDT
2008 LM-600-VS 'The Loar' Mandolin
Old 01-07-2008, 12:51 AM

There is certainly a difference and it is noticeable but your string gauge can hurt your chances of feeling the decrease in string tension. I would go with some lighter strings than you are currently using if that is possible. This will help alot. You could always tune a little flat as well. The combination of a great set up, short scale guitar, light gauge strings and tuning a half a step flat should be great on your wrist. Good luck in being able to play pain free.

Last edited by 1861navycolt; 01-07-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM

I can see where a shorter scale might reduce finger joint stress but I don't see how a shorter scale would alleviate a wrist problem. It seems to me that a change in scale length isn't going to change the angle of the hand significantly. I would expect the stress on the wrist to remain about the same. Also, I don't see how a lighter string gauge is going to reduce stress on the wrist.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Your point is quite possibly true Herb. I imagine that he justs wants to make a guitar play as easily as possible and see if that helps.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 AM

From my massage therapy days, when people talk about wrist pain, the culprit
is often overuse/misuse of the thumb. When the relatively huge muscles which
drive the thumb become over-tired they ask secondary supporting/surrounding
muscles to help and *bang*, you're in pain that feels like it's not just your thumb.

A setup/technique that requires less thumb pressure will reduce wrist pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I can see where a shorter scale might reduce finger joint stress but I don't see how a shorter scale would alleviate a wrist problem. It seems to me that a change in scale length isn't going to change the angle of the hand significantly. I would expect the stress on the wrist to remain about the same. Also, I don't see how a lighter string gauge is going to reduce stress on the wrist.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Transient Wrist Discomfort/Pain

This is one of those areas where the medical professionals have trouble giving you a straight answer other than, "...if playing makes it hurt, reduce your playing...".

Like allergies, skin disorders, MS, arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, patello femoral pain syndrome, and many more, I find myself listening for 20 minutes, after which I need to bite my tongue to avoid saying something rude and cynical like, "...so you really don't know much about this one, do you, doc...?...".

Recently, I have found a really good manager at a "health food store" who actually does know a thing or two, and has offered treatments and preventative strategies that actually do work with minimal side effects, unlike many nasty chemicals doled out by MDs.

Perhaps you can find such a guy who is more of a treatment guy than a guy who flogs vitamins.

There may well be something out there that can ease the cause of your pain gently, and allow you play on.

Good luck whatever you do.
2006 Epiphone Mandolin
Fenders, Gibsons, Warwick, Tubes ;-)
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM

I currenlty own a 814CE and I have ordered a 812CE. I want a short scale guitar to help in my reach on the 3 and 4 fret chords as I have the worlds smallest hands.

Here is an article on the Taylor short scale guitars:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/news/co...04.pdf#page=16

www.Nextlevelguitar.com

Play all you can today, Jesus may come tomorrow!

Last edited by CherryS; 01-08-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM

I wanted to try a short scale guitar, so I got this cheap used Blueridge BG-60, which is a Gibson J-45 copy. It has narrow 1.72 nut spacing and 24.75 scale.

It is a little easier to reach some long chord forms. The narrow spacing isn't as valuable as I thought, although it too also allows a bit better reach to the A string for instance on a D/C# chord.

When I go back to my 25.4 and 1.75 guitars, I feel OK on them. With lighter playing technique, my endurance is sufficient.

Even still, a nice short scale guitar with the right tone would be cool. The Taylor GC7 sounded the best so far. I'll bet a Goodall Tr000 would WOW me.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Try a slim carve neck such as on some R. Taylors. It may help but you'll never know unless you try one. It is like a T5 I think. Also, a nut width of 1 11/16 would help greatly for small hands but you may need to search and be patient or order a custom RT.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion