The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2014, 10:43 PM

From an old guy: Like so many things in life, the sucessors take what came before and raise the standard a little higher. Thus we come to know things like computers (from the abacus) and the space shuttle (from the Wright flyer). But please don't ignorantly disparage the forerunners and pioneers, be it in science or music. Life, and art, is an evolving medium. The Beatles music, for their time, was absolute genius.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYDAN View Post
The Beatles music, for their time, was absolute genius.
Still is. Don't forget George Martin, the genius behind the Beatles. .........Mike
Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
It's obviously a generational gap. Just like my generation doesn't appreciate big band or Jazz as much as our parents/grandparents. I personally can't sit through a Gene Kelly dance/musical that my folks loved.
By 1980's rock standards, The Beatles were absolutely tame elevator type music.
There was rock in the '80s?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim83 View Post
I have a Chet song that could do that
Chet Atkins - I Still Can't Say Goodbye HQ: http://youtu.be/OVSHdwWzLo4

As to the original point I think of the Beatles much as I do hendrix both wrote some great songs and did some cool stuff that got em noticed but the main thing they did was be at the right places at the right times with just the right sound and marketability.
You must be thinking of The Dave Clark 5 or Norman Greenbaum

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
That's a great song. I didn't know he could sing so well.

He didn't write it though.
Eh well still I'm sure it managed to evoke some emotion which is what I thought you were talking about, much like how I view Clapton great guitarist but I find his playing and songs seem to be void of emotion to me with the exception of tears in heaven. Didint know Chet didn't write that though lol.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I find most folks who don't really appreciate the Beatles don't have the historical context - didn't hear those albums when they first came out, and what the "mainstream" was playing or promoting concurrently. They also don't usually offer any one group, or individual, that they'd specifically cite as better, especially in the broad, across-the-board appeal the Beatles had, and more importantly, still have.

There were alot of great musicians, performers, writers, and bands back then that certainly deserved much more recognition than they got then, or now, but they still weren't the Beatles. They were a rare, and unique, combination -
I know as far as my comments I'm not knocking the Beatles they just aren't my cup of tea. Again to me they just happened to get it right at the right time, the music was very melodic and very infectious and they were extremely marketable at the time causing the Beatle mainia which then took them to an ellevated status they've held ever since. On the other hand imho Bill withers was a far better writer and performer and the songs truly had meaning to me (unlike lovely tunes such as I am the walrus uke but he just wasn't marketable hence why he is not very well known today even though he wrote some huge hits and his music was quite different. To bring it closer to the Beatles imho if you take the psychedelic period and compare it to pink Floyd I think pink Floyd beats them in every way. Again just my opinions not looking to start a flame war just offering up some people I like better.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
It's obviously a generational gap. Just like my generation doesn't appreciate big band or Jazz as much as our parents/grandparents. I personally can't sit through a Gene Kelly dance/musical that my folks loved.
By 1980's rock standards, The Beatles were absolutely tame elevator type music.
I'm thinking that you haven't given a really good listen to The Beatles music to make a statement like this.. If you heard "A Day In A Life", "I Am The Walrus", "Within You, Without You", "Come Together" and many others- I would be very surprised if you still called it elevator music...

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I find most folks who don't really appreciate the Beatles don't have the historical context - didn't hear those albums when they first came out, and what the "mainstream" was playing or promoting concurrently.
I was just old enough to be on the tail end of it, and they have their moments, but I am SO over them. I respect their talent but they have unfortunately been so overhyped and overplayed on the radio... It's like, how can I miss you if you won't go away?

When it has been a while since I've heard their music it can be good to hear.. But that is too rare.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 04-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Not the biggest Beatles fan here. They wrote about 40 good songs, but only a handful of great ones (in my opinion).

I rate many other bands/musicians much higher (going by how many great songs they wrote here - your opinion of great is likely different to mine).
Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 AM

The fact that there are people that don't like either Chet or the Beatles makes me wonder what the heck has happened in this world. Every album the Beatles came out with had numerous songs that were as good as anything any other pop group could come up with at the time. There is a reason these and many others have and will continue to record their material. Tommy Emmanuel, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Chet Atkins, Jeff Beck, Tony Bennett, George Benson, Los Lobos, The Black Crowes, David Bowie, Johnny Cash, Joe Cocker, Judy Collins, The Coors, Elvis Costello, Crosby,Stills and Nash, Dave Mathews, John Denver, Celine Dion, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, The Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Emmylou Harris, Richie Havens, Elton John, Tom Jones...... the list goes on and on and on.

People are allowed their opinions but not their own facts. And the fact is the Beatles were revolutionary in their era.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:46 AM

There are people who don't particularly like Claude Monet's Impressionism, but that doesn't mean he wasn't one of the greatest painters who ever lived.

I don't enjoy reading Shakespeare, but he was a genius.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM

For my taste in music, the Beatles are the greatest band ever, with a timeless of fusion of melody and lyrics. They have always been overplayed, which is part of the reason people grow tired of them. My 20 year old daughter and her musician boyfriend love the Beatles, and admit there is nothing on current popular music that can compare to them.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
You must be thinking of The Dave Clark 5 or Norman Greenbaum
Don't sell the DC5 short.

True enough...they were no Beatles...but what they were was a very good rock band who didn't just appear out of thin air in time for the British Invasion. They had already been together for years playing pubs and dance halls.

The DC5 singer, Mike Smith, was the equal of any of he Beatles, and the rhythm section of Dave Clark and Rick Huxley had a heavy, stomping style that's been much copied over the years.

Listen to some of their stuff on youtube, and you might be surprised at how well it holds up after 50 years.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

There's something wrong with the world if everyone doesn't like the Beatles? Good grief! Pull the ear buds out and get a life outside of music.

Dave
Old 04-13-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
Don't sell the DC5 short.

True enough...they were no Beatles...but what they were was a very good rock band who didn't just appear out of thin air in time for the British Invasion. They had already been together for years playing pubs and dance halls.

The DC5 singer, Mike Smith, was the equal of any of he Beatles, and the rhythm section of Dave Clark and Rick Huxley had a heavy, stomping style that's been much copied over the years.

Listen to some of their stuff on youtube, and you might be surprised at how well it holds up after 50 years.
Please don't misunderstand me. I like the DC5. Always have. In fact "Try Too Hard", one of their more obscure numbers is one of my all time favorite rock songs, but they were not the innovative or creative geniuses that The Beatles were, which was all I was saying. They were talented and a great band for their time...but not so much beyond, even if I wish they were.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion