The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Default Turning a satin top to gloss?

Just picked up a Taylor GA3 for my bro but he prefers gloss. How does one go about doing this. I remember a thread, but I forget who did it and it looked like it came from the factory gloss.
thx
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM

you can use meguiars ultimate compound then ultimate polish and that will do the trick

Dave
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 AM

I have done this on two guitars very successfully with McGuires automotive mirrorglaze. Just washed them off with white spirit and gently use the McGuires in small areas at a time rubbing in a circular motion. Took me about 3 hours per guitar, excellent results. You will get people here telling you to use 000 grade wire wool and others telling you that you will buff through to the raw wood. I didn't use wire wool and was careful about over-buffing so mine were great. I wouldn't call it a high-gloss finish. if a good high gloss is 10/10 and satin is 1/10 I would put my results at around 7/10 in terms of shine. You might want to check on the type of finish and seek the manufacturers comments. I didn't.... but I am a chancer. My first one was a Tak mahogany and the second was a Stonebridge rosewood. Good luck.

Last edited by stonebridgian; 03-08-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: improved grammar
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 AM

How do you get in the tight areas surroundin the fretboard and bridge?

Jim
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Bear in mind that modifying the finish - while a great way to pretty up a guitar - will void any warranty that may apply.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Something else to keep in mind is that to keep a buffed-out satin finish looking glossy (or at least semi-glossy, which is really about as far as it can be taken,) you'll need to keep it shined up; normal use will dull down those parts of the instrument that get rubbed against anything.

I picked up a second hand Larrivée that had been buffed out by its original owner, but have done nothing to maintain the shine. As a result, there are semi-shiny areas and dull, satin finish areas.

I'm hoping it'll all go back to being satin finish all over - I had enough of keep things shiny when I was in uniform.

whm
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM

Personally, I'd have trouble doing this to my guitar.

Isn't this sort of like "Ebonizing" your rosewood fingerboard? It's still a rosewood fingerboard that you've artificially changed the appearance on.

Trying to change a satin finish to gloss yourself seems like much the same thing ... it may look like a gloss finish, but is it really?

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion