The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 PM

Default DUDE! I totaly did it!

Yeah like today after school me and my friend went over to the local music store and bought me some new strings and a couple of pics (i got one of each kind (SO many colors!))
And I went home ran to my room and went to take the old strings off and put the new ones on when I relized I had no idea at all how to do that!

So I was just like, Ah cant be that hard..... it was that hard.
It took me about an hour to get the old strings off and put the new ones on and tune it, mabye longer :P.
But it was so worth it, when I stummed it the first time it sounded like a dream!
I have been playing it all night and am about to go play it again in a few seconds.

Guitars Rock!

Any one got any cool begginer songs for me?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 AM

Did you use a string winder? Without one, I wouldn't even attempt it! Learn your favorite songs is my advice. Don't just settle for easy songs, learn all the songs you want to learn. Only way to really enjoy what you play IMO!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:27 AM

Learn some Jimmy Buffett.. "Why don't we get - wait how old are you??? Go with "Why don't we get milk and moo" Or any jimmy buffett song is good to start out on.... Congratulations on your string change.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 AM

Thumbs up

Changing strings will get alot better with time and experience. Don't sweat it.

Neil Young songs are great starter tunes, and alot of fun.

Try "Out of the Blue" for some cheap thrills...

Congrats!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:24 AM

Ah, nothing like the sound of fresh strings!

I agree with Camelback, get a stringwinder. Better yet, for about 12 bucks you can get a battery powered, Black and Decker cordless screw driver (Wal-Mart) and another 3-4 bucks will get you a dunlop string winder (most any guitar/music shop) that will fit into the chuck on the screwdriver. The battery powered driver is very low speed so you don't need to worry about cranking the tuning keys like a madman. IMO, best 15 bucks I ever spent, makes string changes an absolute breeze.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslash
Any one got any cool begginer songs for me?
Smoke on the water
Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM

Along with the winder you should drop by the hardware store and get some safety glasses. The first time I changes strings one of them got out of my hand and whipped across my face. No scars but I though what if the end hit my eye. So I slipped a pair on and continued and wear them almost every time I change strings. If you don't have a electronic tuner you'll need one to assure the strings are always in tune.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM

Sometimes I really get to feeling inferior when I read threads.

Let's see, when I change strings I don't use power tools, and I use a 1.98 winder. I guess my glasses are sort of protective. Worse yet, I seldom use a tuner unless I am on stage or at a jam where it is the only option ... just tune one string to an electronic keyboard, or an internet tone, or a piano ... whatever's handy ... and then tune every string against that open string by ear.

If you must use a tuner, I highly recommend tuning not to an open note, but to a fretted note in the range where yu most often play. For example, if you most often play in the first five frets in, tune everything except the open G to a note fretted on the second or third fret. If you play a lot of up the neck leads, tune to a note on the 7th, 8th, or 9th fret ... just pick one you like.

The problem with guitars is that it is impossible to build one that has perfect intonation all the way up the neck for every player. Tuning strictly to open notes with a tuner does not account for the different pressure put on strings by different players.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Backslash - Glad you figured it out on your own. For a refresher in the future, visit Frank Ford's site, Frets.com. The link is directly to his tutorial on changing strings on a standard headstock (if you happen to have a slotted headstock, he's got that, too).

As for song recommendations - what kind of music are you into?
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Eleanor Rigby... It only takes E minor and C major chords... pretty easy to learn and you get your first Beatles song under your belt.

If you can figure out what key is most comfortable for you to sing in and learn the 1-4-5 chord structure for that, you could play about 80% of all the songs ever written.

If you aren't sure what I mean by 1-4-5, (almost always shown as Roman Numerals), it's whatever root chord, let's say C in this case... and counting that as 1, count up to the 4... thus F... and the 5 would be G. Playing C, F and G, or any other 1-4-5 combination like D-G-A or A-D-E or E-A-B... Like I said, find your voice, learn the chord fingerings and have a blast!

Old 05-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
As for song recommendations - what kind of music are you into?
Well I like Guns and Roses, Velvet Revolver,alot of punk rock stuff,Rammstien, Led Zeplin, Bit of Slayer and Pantera.

Yeah I like hard to play music :P.

But that Beatles suggestion was great! I realy love the beatles alot.
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 PM

...And my fingers hurt...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backslash
...And my fingers hurt...

Haha, don't ever play immediately after getting out of the shower or the pool. Especially since you don't have your skin where it needs to be yet. I learned the hard way... My callouses just basically fell off in one chunk after five minutes of playing. Nasty. I like the Beatles, I think one of the first songs I learned was yellow submarine. Oh yeah, and blackbird too. Good times.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:30 PM

Wow, A fellow man who says "Good Times" I say that alot.

Thanks for the tip about geting out of the pool or shower man.
I could totaly see my self doing that!

And also if I want to learn Yellow Submarine or Smoke On The Water, what do I like type in at google to find it?

Tabs for Yellow Submarine? or what.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:55 PM

yellow submarine tab
beatles tab
smoke on the water tab

You can pretty much type in the name of any song or band and then put the word "tab" after it and you will find results.

Warning: Not all tabs are correct, you will have to listen to the music and compare the different tabs until you develop an ear for the music. I use many, but a few are www.olga.net and www.ultimate-guitar.com. "Good times" is something I've picked up from Dave Matthews over the years. People here at Ole Miss also use it religiously, which is making it lose its value to me. Goooood Tiiiiiimes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion