The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2016, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Importing from Thomann to Canada

I don't know what trade agreements Canada has with the EU and don't want to get clobbered with import duties and fees. The prices are good from Thomann, unless I get a bad surprise at my door. If they ship UPS, that courier has gouging brokerage fees.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I don't know what trade agreements Canada has with the EU and don't want to get clobbered with import duties and fees. The prices are good from Thomann, unless I get a bad surprise at my door. If they ship UPS, that courier has gouging brokerage fees.
The only brand new guitar I have ever bought was from Thomann,
obviously, we WERE in the EU, as we shall remain for another couple of years 'til all the paperwork is signed or whatever.

Anyhoo.... It was incredibly poorly packaged IMO, just a flimsy cardboard box with some bubble wrap around the guitar.

The guitar (Recording King) did not have a case as standard , so I ordered a gig bag from them too.
They stuck the case in next to the guitar , rather than putting the guitar inside it ! I know .... go figger ....

There was an ominously large rip right through the front of the box.
The guitar was completely undamaged, but I'm pretty sure that was divine intervention or dumb luck.
Maybe they take more trouble over higher end stuff... I don't know.

Lately I have been checking out some prices to try and find the cure for a recent GAS outbreak.
I'm afraid that for us in Britain the Euro prices have suddenly become prohibitive

Sorry Fregly, none of this is any help to you is it ? I'll go and make a cuppa now and shut up...
Old 07-03-2016, 07:27 AM

My Hummingbird Pro came to the UK from Thomann.
I found the whole experience seamless. Great communication with them since they have dedicated English speakers to answer the phone.
Guitar came perfectly packed and in good order.
A very competitive price and an extended guarantee.
I would recommend them without hesitation.

Older no wiser
Guild D212 1981
Guild D125 2012
Gibson Hummingbird Pro 2013
Luna Pineapple Soprano 2013
Wee Davy Concert Banjolele 2014
Telecaster Homebuild 2015
Old 07-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Disconcerting Long Jon, you were spared damage so....

I was thinking of getting a Furch, the price with exchange works out a lot cheaper in Euro dollars, almost to the point where the website must have miscalculated. Just doing a search it looks like acoustic guitars would get a 6% import charge to Canada, if that is correct.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:46 AM

I find Thomann prices much higher than comparable ones in Canada, possibly because they have to pay higher import taxes on goods from Asia or U. S. than we do so if you ship something back to North America you pay twice for crossing a border.

So if it's something that is totally unavailable on this side of the pond and you really need it probably best to combine it with a vacation and pick up in person.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:59 AM

Fregly,

Have you contacted Bluedog Guitars in Vancouver? They are amazing to deal with and carry Furch/Stonebridge.

Here's the link http://bluedogguitars.com/

2012 Taylor 814ce Spring Ltd. - Sitka Cocobola
2011 Taylor 314ce
1997 Takamine LTD Gecko - Koa
2014 Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 Wine Red
Old 07-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks jr, yes they have great stuff. Man though, Lowdens have gotten expensive. Ouch

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion