The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 08:49 PM

Well, if there is anything wrong with this logic, I'm gonna be in big, big trouble - someday - lol...
Old 07-02-2016, 08:51 PM

As a bachelor (once again) I am no longer subject to these stringent regulations.

BUT

I had been divorced and living apart from my ex for about 8 years when I wanted to use her address to have my lovely Martin that I'd bought on eBay delivered.
I was living on my boat at the time and while we have a shared mailbox on the moorings, you wouldn't get a dread in a Geib case in there.

To be clear, I no longer had any financial responsibility to my ex at that time.

So, the guitar arrived , I called around and unwrapped it in front of her. She ain't no fool and could see and hear that this was no beater.

"My God Jon ! That's beautiful , how much was it ? I'll bet it was about a thousand bloody pounds , wasn't it ?" Says she.

"Wow ! That's almost exactly right, how clever of you to guess... " Says I.

(It was exactly two thousand.... I could have told her really, but old habits die hard.)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Don'tcha think you're selling out pretty cheap there Earwitness ? Presumably anything over a grand you'd have to consider it .... ?
Oh, I just assumed that $1000 would buy that Taylor, I don't know.

I'll repeat: I'm not saying what someone else should do or say. I am just explaining why some people think it's a funny laugh about cheating on your wife (and it is a funny laugh for them), whereas for some it's not funny. The difference being whether there is anything in your own personal past wherein "cheating on your spouse" is not funny and cannot be crafted into anything close to funny.

I am not offended!!

Carry on....
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 07-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
Oh, I just assumed that $1000 would buy that Taylor, I don't know.

I'll repeat: I'm not saying what someone else should do or say. I am just explaining why some people think it's a funny laugh about cheating on your wife (and it is a funny laugh for them), whereas for some it's not funny. The difference being whether there is anything in your own personal past wherein "cheating on your spouse" is not funny and cannot be crafted into anything close to funny.

I am not offended!!

Carry on....
I just think its odd. It's like someone telling a joke that starts off

Two guys went into a bar....

And then people complain that alcohol abuse is no laughing matter, you shouldn't drink and drive, that they are a recovering abuser, etc and it really has nothing to do with what the guy is even talking about, even though what they are saying is very true, just not appropriate for the moment. Everything has its time and place and some people just don't get that I guess. Or maybe its me, I don't know.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-02-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Default And the laughs

...keep rolling in.

Perhaps I should note that I write for a living, and a few years back I used to make my living writing promotional copy for local news. No, I never used "a parent's worst nightmare!" but I was the guy who wrote all those promos. So if I wrote a scintillating, tasteless headline about cheating on my wife it probably has to do with my shady past. My apologies to anyone offended. Though you might consider moving over to the de-caf...

Now back to working on SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW and IN MY LIFE on my new Taylor...
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 AM

_

Last edited by cmd612; 08-14-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I just think its odd. It's like someone telling a joke that starts off

Two guys went into a bar....

And then people complain that alcohol abuse is no laughing matter, you shouldn't drink and drive, that they are a recovering abuser, etc and it really has nothing to do with what the guy is even talking about, even though what they are saying is very true, just not appropriate for the moment. Everything has its time and place and some people just don't get that I guess. Or maybe its me, I don't know.
No harm no foul. There are lots of threads where guys want to describe how bad their GAS is and what they do to get relief. There are lots of jokes that aren't funny to some and the comedian bombs in their minds.
Comedy isn't as easy as it looks.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Don't worry. It was that quality of lovable sneakiness that first drew her to you!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 AM

Many years ago when I was just starting my collection, I used to try to sneak around and bring guitars home without her knowing.

The problem was my collection was so small she noticed a different looking guitars.

We had a big "come to Jesus" meeting about me buying more guitars.

We went back and forth until we agreed I could ONLY buy a guitar if it was used and I got an amazing deal on it.

Well that started my pawnshop addiction about 8 yrs. ago. I've since bought a ton of electric , acoustic, and bass guitars.

I was up to over 80 until I moved about 27 last year.

I have so many now that I don't even have to justify what I buy now because I can sell guitars from my collection to buy others.

The fact that I don't have to hide ANY guitar purchases and not have to lie about it is a weight of my shoulders.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E

Last edited by Texsunburst59; 07-03-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
It's not the same thing. I don't care about the adultery joke in the thread title or that fact that someone buys a guitar without telling a spouse. It was the part about telling her he was going to a guitar lesson when he wasn't that struck me as not-funny. I don't understand having to lie to a spouse about one's whereabouts, and the people I've known who've done it haven't had great results (even if it's something seemingly innocent like saying you're at work when you're at the golf course, or some such thing).

If she learns you've lied about the little things, it gets a lot harder for her to trust you on the big things.

I'm not judging the OP; he seems like a nice guy and I don't get the impression he's trying to hurt his wife or their relationship. (Not that it's any of my business, but hey, if you post it on a public forum and invite comment . . . . )

[If you really want to imagine an analogous thread titled "Two guys went into a bar," it would continue with the poster telling a true story about binge drinking the night before, or driving home after having had a few. And then anyone who pointed out that drinking to excess or drunk driving weren't really something to brag or joke about would be told to "lighten up" and lay off the caffeine.]

Then again, if I really care about some guy I don't even know lying to his wife, whom I also don't know, maybe I do need to switch to decaf.
Point well made for my case. Thank you.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
No harm no foul. There are lots of threads where guys want to describe how bad their GAS is and what they do to get relief. There are lots of jokes that aren't funny to some and the comedian bombs in their minds.
Comedy isn't as easy as it looks.
GW, the real question is "how do you like those Halcyons?"

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
GW, the real question is "how do you like those Halcyons?"
True. I am still pleasantly happy with them. The AJ is my every day go to guitar. The SJ gets its fair share of time. This is no knock against the Larrivee. It's just that the Halcyon novelty hasn't worn off. ( it may not)

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-03-2016, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
True. I am still pleasantly happy with them. The AJ is my every day go to guitar. The SJ gets its fair share of time. This is no knock against the Larrivee. It's just that the Halcyon novelty hasn't worn off. ( it may not)
You think they are up there tonewise with the Larrivee? Nice.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion