The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Lots of things just plain wrong here. You lied about where you went and you bought a guitar that you need to hide You're not getting a slap on the back here. It's all about trust and if it were me I could care less about the guitar but the lie about the lesson ........I don't think so. Good luck!

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-02-2016, 03:15 PM

It's like a lot of things. Joking about drunkenness is funny except maybe if your alcoholic father beat you and your mother. Joking about the sexuality of a 13 year old is funny unless you have child abuse in your story. Same with lighthearted comments about war, race, etc.

Since I lived many years in a marriage where my ex-wife lied and cheated (in smaller ways such as this post, and in every way), I don't find it "cute" or "harmless." It's not being the moral police or trying to make you feel bad; it's just that a lot of people don't appreciate how bitter, bitter the poison of lying and cheating is in a marriage.

If I had to put a price/value on the trust factor in my marriage (now 15 years), I would not risk a 1% chance of compromising it for $1000.

I'm just trying to give helpful advice--not trying to make you feel bad.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 07-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I think you fellas may be taking this thread a bit too serious?

madhat.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Well, not so much cheating as deceiving her. Well, not so much deceiving her as not telling her everything.

Last night, instead of going to the guitar lesson she thought I went to, I did a rendezvous with someone who had contacted me here on Acoustic Guitar Forum, and exchanged a small stack of $100 bills for a 2012 Taylor 314ce. Not a scratch or a dent anywhere. Looks brand new.

So I came home at my regular time, carried in the guitar case that she thought held the Martin, and went upstairs to the guitar room and played on it.

It.
Sounds.
Great.

I kinda want to blurt it out and tell her everything: that I've had an intimate rendezvous with another guitar, a rather high end one. But thus far I've held back. It will come out. These things always do, eventually.

She doesn't tend to notice guitar details, though. One night I had her in the guitar room and played her something on my Takamine. She doesn't even know I have a Takamine, and she left the room not knowing it, either.

So who can say how this'll shake out? Whatever the case, I'm enjoying my fling with this sassy new consort.
Just tell her you were out with a beautiful woman, although if she's like my wife she'll say "No you weren't, you bought another guitar, didn't you?"
Old 07-02-2016, 03:37 PM

My experience........first go buy your wife a nice Coach bag. Then buy the guitar. It worked great for me.....well once.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:46 PM

As a married man, I'm glad I don't have these problems. You see, my wife has hobbies of her own that she spends money on. She breeds dogs. She competes in AKC confirmation, agility, lure coursing, and dock diving with our dogs. Any mention of me spending money on my hobbies would be completely hypocritical on her part...and we just don't do hypocritical.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 07-02-2016, 03:49 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2016, 04:11 PM

Default It is pretty amazing

...the gamut of reactions here . I expected a few chuckles, maybe a couple of finger wags. I sure didn't expect this many folks responding.

While my views definitely reside more towards the funny, trust isn't something to mock or take lightly. I get that. I've got 31+ years with this very significant other. We didn't get here by being deceptive.

It should be noted that 2 years ago for my birthday she purchased my first guitar lessons because she knew that I was wanting to get better and hoped to give me an avenue to do so. She also threw a surprise birthday party inviting 3 other guitarist friends who showed up and we all played together.

Then that Christmas she asked me what I wanted and I said "a Martin Guitar" and she said "all right, go get one." I think we'll work it out.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 07-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...the gamut of reactions here . I expected a few chuckles, maybe a couple of finger wags. I sure didn't expect this many folks responding.

While my views definitely reside more towards the funny, trust isn't something to mock or take lightly. I get that. I've got 31+ years with this very significant other. We didn't get here by being deceptive.

It should be noted that 2 years ago for my birthday she purchased my first guitar lessons because she knew that I was wanting to get better and hoped to give me an avenue to do so. She also threw a surprise birthday party inviting 3 other guitarist friends who showed up and we all played together.

Then that Christmas she asked me what I wanted and I said "a Martin Guitar" and she said "all right, go get one." I think we'll work it out.
She threw a surprise party? This sounds deceptive to me...

madhat.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Well, it's not the action but the deliberate deception that seems "off" to me and might be a problem depending on your relationship. Obviously it's weighing on your mind.
Time to serenade your wife.
Now.
Very close to forty years here, married to another guitar freak & nothing over a hundred bucks does not get discussed. Whether it is a guitar, a dog, new sheets, or a pair of boots.
To each their own - if it works.

Meanwhile my husband is sitting across from me, making love to a Martin guitar.

Perspective is everything
Old 07-02-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:

My wife and I have only been together for ten years, but I totally relate to your story. My wife is cool like that. I participate in her hobbies as well. We have a good time. She was an AKC breeder when I met her, and she was the president of her breed's club. We both have our own thing, but we still enjoy each others hobbies. I love working with the dogs. She likes hearing me play guitar. Its just effortless.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 PM

I knew you were having a bit of fun with this. Some here just can't wait to show "how wonderful" their marriage is......."why I would never....bla bla". Oh gee.

I i've been married 38 years to a wonderful woman who every day her and I have a blast and we been blessed with wonderful kids and grandchildren.

So a few years ago I posted on here how she was out with her sister shopping and I told her I'd like to buy an Olson guitar. She said my sister and I are out shopping near Guitar Center do you want us to buy it and pick it up? I told her yes ask for my buddy Jesse and he will order it . So I called Jessie and told him that I can't wait to see the look on my wife's face when he tells her that he would need a check for $20,000! So 20 minutes later her and her sister walk into guitar center and ask for Jessie and he says yes I just talked to Rod I've ordered the guitar the order cannot be changed or canceled but I do need a check for $20,000. Priceless! He said she looked over at her sister and the looks on their faces were hilarious. Of course she immediately called me and said do you realize this guitar is $20,000? I said of course that's a deal all the guitars in my office that you see they were all more than that......then I busted out laughing. Jessie laughed and handed her a bag of Elixir strings and said....."how about $13.00 bucks instead. You and Rod are both in trouble! They got a kick out of it. My SIL still asks...hey, did Linda ever get you that guitar? Laughing of course.

The point is after I posted that, there were two pages of holier than thou members here ripping me apart. "I would never do that to my wife.....bla bla bla"
Old 07-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

You should have seen the idiot show a year or two ago here in a thread I started where I referred to my wife as "the wife." Tons of great people here, but you do get a lot of different perspectives on things that I normally would give any weight/importance to.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post

If I had to put a price/value on the trust factor in my marriage (now 15 years), I would not risk a 1% chance of compromising it for $1000.

I'm just trying to give helpful advice--not trying to make you feel bad.
Don'tcha think you're selling out pretty cheap there Earwitness ? Presumably anything over a grand you'd have to consider it .... ?
Old 07-02-2016, 08:44 PM

I had the opposite event happen. I had a Yamaha acoustic electric I was not playing and 'sold' it to a friend for some upgrade work he did on one of my other guitars. I just never told my wife. About 5 months later she says, " didn't you have another guitar ( it was #4), so I told her about it and she said 'hmmmm'. I was not sure if that meant she was surprised or not, but she was not upset at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion