The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Well, given that the OP was joking what you wrote this I guess all I can do is laugh because I've been there myself.

That being said I am currently "scheming" to make not one but SEVERAL NGD's happen in the next couple of years. I've told my wife of the most imminent one along with the reasons and what I'm willing to give up for it - namely several other guitars that aren't getting played, though they were confined value does not equal my intended purchase. The other two are pipe dreams at this point - though one is a "bucket list" item. In the interests of disclosure and self respect I am dropping hints and letting my intentions be known.
LOL, me too. I'm trying to figure out how many times I can play the "its for my retirement" and "I'm not going to live forever" cards,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 AM

I never hid guitar buys from my ex-wife. But, she kept count and would use that against me in unrelated discussions. My new wife (married less than a year) is a real enabler! Whenever I show her a cool guitar for sale (especially quilty electrics or blinged out acoustics), she'll say "You should get that!" She'll even bring it up days later, "Did you get that guitar you showed me last week? You should get it!" I'm on a 1 and 1/2 year moratorium on guitar purchases, so it's often tempting. I've been strong so far.

Speaking of other less desirable things we could be purchasing instead of guitars, about 12 years ago I bought a Bourgeois Vintage D. Left the receipt on the kitchen counter. My middle daughter saw the receipt and said, "Dad! You bought another guitar?" I said, "Yes. It could be worse - I could be addicted to heroin or cocaine." She said, "It would be cheaper!!"
Old 07-02-2016, 10:18 AM

I've never felt I needed to lie about or to hide my acquisitions to my significant other, but I know a few who do... What's interesting to me is their wives are incredibly detail oriented when it comes to almost everything, but they never notice the different guitars... I have thought that maybe this is because in this case the ladies take an observant interest in the things they like and ignore the things they dislike... Early on the relationship she probably would have noticed if they had a different guitar because it was a cute novelty that added to a long list of things that made them interesting. But in marriage it's a hobby consuming time away from them so it becomes a thing they tolerate on good days and disdane on those days when they'd rather their hubby take a handy man project from the queue and work on it but instead they are off working on learning a new song.... It is just a theory.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 07-02-2016, 10:20 AM

No need to burn the OP at the stake. It's just a guitar.

Lighten up people.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:37 AM

I make extra money. What I spend it on is my business. Congratulations on your new guitar!
Old 07-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
It's just a guitar.
Lighten up people.

No doubt.

madhat.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
No need to burn the OP at the stake. It's just a guitar.

Lighten up people.
Who's burning him at the stake? I must have missed some posts.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
...I'm trying to figure out how many times I can play the "it's for my retirement" and "I'm not going to live forever" cards...
Just retired as of last Thursday so option #1 is down the crapper; I did, however, score a Rosa Red Gretsch 5622T for my B-day in May that I absolutely love, so I'm not GASsing right now...

Holding option #2 for the next time one of the racing schools schedules an NHRA competition license class at Raceway Park or Atco...

Need an option #3 for when I get around to ordering a Triggs Master 400 like the one I played at MandoBros about ten years ago - or having a period-correct '67 Camaro doorslammer funny car built...
Old 07-02-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Who's burning him at the stake? I must have missed some posts.
Heh, yeah. Lighten up, Francis. We knew he was joking. About the only advice I can offer is to buy a really comfortable couch, one that you can both play and sleep on!
Old 07-02-2016, 11:28 AM
G625 mistral-k

Old 07-02-2016, 11:55 AM

Love the light heated, I mean hearted, responses here!

My wife and I have long lived on a fairly tight budget. We're not poor, necessarily, we just enjoy making our money go as far as it can, so we can give as much as we can to the things we think are worthwhile. Because of this, we almost always discuss major purchases ahead of time. We don't actually try to "keep score," but over the course of a year or two things seem to balance out nicely between her interests, mine, and ours. Not every marriage works this way, I know, but this works for us. At least it has so far. Coming up on our 44th anniversary.

cotten
Old 07-02-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
That guitar? I've had that one for years.
Exactly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Talking

funny story Vtexan

oh yea, your wife signed up here as a registered user around 2 weeks ago, we are not privy to give out that sort of info and I can't tell you her user name, but in this case I thought it might be prudent to just let you know...................

have a great weekend and enjoy that Taylor
d

**and I just checked and she has been active on the forum today...........
Old 07-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Thirty six years this year. I've never lied, cheated, bought, sold, snuck in anything. She knows more about guitars than most young guitar players do. She can point at the cases and tell you what is in it, she'll put them away if I'm not home and company is coming.

The upside to that is the Explorer christmas present, the EJRW 55th birthday present, countless guitars she's bought me over the decades. Sure, they haven't all been keepers and the most she can do is strum them three times open before she starts laughing, but we're in it together.

Explorer is going out tonight and she is very happy!

rct
Old 07-02-2016, 01:08 PM

Default Lots of funny responses here

...and a few disdainful ones. That's okay; we're not all coming from the same place. I essentially don't drink. Don't do drugs. Don't fool around. Don't gamble. We both are the best friends we each have.

About 5 or 6 years ago she was into watching one of those shows about dressing better. I think she was taking notes the whole time because she's become about as hip in the fashion department that a 55 year-old aspires to. She has 3 or 4 pairs of boots, LOTS of dresses, all kinds of blouses and sweaters. She probably spends on clothing every year what I do in 5. And last week she replaced her dead fit bit with an upgrade, to the tune of nearly $200. She's got the new ipad; I've got the one she replaced.

So if it sounds like I'm steeling myself up to just go ahead and tell her...I may just be. Not too comfortable about doing the deception tango. But it kinda makes me think I ought to sell the Takamine first, so that I'm only having to explain ONE guitar purchase instead of two...

Ain't no thang, I'll work it out.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion