The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Epiphone hummingbird Pro vs alvarez ad 60

I am I beginning player who has been learning for about a month on my Fender package guitar. I am looking to step up to a better guitar that I can practice with and also will last me quite a while. I have narrowed it down between the Epiphone hummingbird Pro and an Alvarez ad60. Understand the Alvarez has a 1.75 nut which I'm not sure I would need as I am just learning to make chords. Do I need a wider in order to learn. Is the $30 extra worth paying for the Epiphone. I know it comes down to tone and playability I'm just wondering which is the best value for my money. Both guitars have quite a reputation of about the reviews I've read. I'm leaning towards the Epiphone but I don't want to pass up the Alvarez if it is a better guitar. Can someone please help
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Why did you specifically chose those two even though you are new to playing and maybe not fully knowledgeable to consider others ?

I haven't played the Alvarez but the Epi Birds I find are not particularly inspiring.

I would encourage you to take a closer look at Yamaha and also Cort Earth series which are similar price level. I have had my Cort Earth 100 for almost 20 years, why, because its a great sounding and playing guitar.

And .. welcome to the forum.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 AM

These guitars are different except for the woods in both: solid spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides and are standard dreadnought shape (non slope-shouldered.)

The Epi Pro has a pickup in it. If you are a beginner guitarist perhaps you don't need a pickup and so you can save money by getting the regular Humingbird.

As you said the AD 60 has the wider 1 3/4-inch nut while the Epi Pro has the narrower 1 11/16-incher. To me that makes a big difference so I would urge you to try out guitars with the two widths to see which one you are most comfortable with.

The AD60 has a real bone nut and saddle. To the best of my knowledge, the Epi Pro has an imitation bone nut and saddle. So if you want to upgrade later that saves you money.

Like the first reply, I just am not wowed by Epiphone acoustics for the pure acoustic sound. Some older Epis, however, sound good IMO.

I own three Alvarezes, including an older RD20s which is sort of like the AD60 but with a plastic nut and saddle and has the thinner 1 11/16-nut width.

I would urge you to try one of the new Yamaha 800 series. The model that would be the counterpart to these guitars would be the FG820 with the same tonewoods and laminate construction. They have urea nut and saddle.

If you do like the AD60 may I suggest the Alvarez AD30? It has the same tonewoods as the AD60 but has less in the way of cosmetics, It may have more of a matte finish but I am not certain. You can email Tom at Alvarez.com support and he will give you the details.

Anyway the AD30 is a bargain right now at Musicians Friend because of a price drop.

Good luck!
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-01-2016, 11:22 AM

I can recommend two guitars, I own both and don't believe you have to spend a lot to get a good guitar, the Yamaha FG820 I got for $189 through Adorama and a B stock Alvarez MD60 which is solid Spruce top and solid mahogany sides and back for $220 through Reverb, the Alvarez is the wider nut. The reason for the B stock classification was the wood grain (which I have no problem with at all), there are no cosmetic or structural issues, both guitars sound and play like guitars costing much more. Like many I live where the local selection is limited, this forum is where I get all my info to base my decisions on what to get, the collective knowledge here is huge. I would love to try a Yamaha FG830 which is reasonably priced I believe at about $239. I'm selling my Yamaha FG850 if you like Mahogany
Old 07-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Neither guitar. At that price point there's no such thing as "better." Wait until you have $800- $1,200 to spend on an all solid wood guitar and you know sort of where you are at playing. Flat picking notes over chords, a strummer with some single notes to accompany singing, finger style? Big hands? A 1.75" nut is great for finger style or someone with thicker fingers, but may not be right for you. There are also 1.8" nuts and 1 13/16" nuts and the smaller 1 11/16 nut you may have now. You are only in it a month and buying a $300 guitar, might not be a great idea. True its gotta be a better step than where you are at now, but wait until you have more experience and more cash.

There are Jumbos, dreads, 000, slope shoulder dreads, OM, folk 00 and 0 sizes, etc etc.

Most of us have multiple guitars of multiple sizes and wood combinations as well.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I have an AD60. It's nice, but too big to comfortably play for me. I think you should also consider the Alvarez AF60 which is a much more comfortable size to play, at east for me. It sounds great too.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:29 PM

wait until you have $800??? It's true there are many (probably most) cheap and undesirable, hard to play, poor sounding guitars in the low price range but thankfully there are exceptions to that rule. I am prone to think that starting low and moving up as your ears gain discernment is rewarding.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring View Post
wait until you have $800??? It's true there are many (probably most) cheap and undesirable, hard to play, poor sounding guitars in the low price range but thankfully there are exceptions to that rule. I am prone to think that starting low and moving up as your ears gain discernment is rewarding.
Sure, why not wait? I've played the second one below. Nice. It would be worth the wait.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...#productDetail

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEAMARS..._7RoCDL3w_wcB=

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2016, 01:21 PM

If you are new... I would encourage you to "try" before you buy.

There is a lot more to choosing a guitar than nut width.

Especially when just learning.

I had a Alvarez AD60 and it was a great guitar (once it had a pro set-up). But out of the box it was OK too. But the set up really helped it to play easier (lowered the strings a bit at nut and saddle).

I ended up selling it later on ....sold it and got a MD60 Masterworks Alvarez (all solid woods). It is WAY nicer in tone department. I like the neck carve better too since it has a the slight V shape instead of oval.

I'd buy the AD60 !.... If the price is right .. it is a great guitar to learn on or even have as a spare.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:22 PM

See if you can locate a Teton in the 200 level (all solid wood) or higher.

https://tetonguitars.com/product/sta...-teton-guitar/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC9uA0qcjkE

They run about $550 US.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Jake, I took delivery of a MD60 yesterday, it was a "B stock" because of the top grain but otherwise flawless. I had an AD90 on order then the MD60 became available for less, now I'm wondering what the solid rosewood would be like. Do you have a preference when comparing the LL16 to the MD60?
Old 07-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaring View Post
Jake, I took delivery of a MD60 yesterday, it was a "B stock" because of the top grain but otherwise flawless. I had an AD90 on order then the MD60 became available for less, now I'm wondering what the solid rosewood would be like. Do you have a preference when comparing the LL16 to the MD60?
I love the MD60 ... Really nice overall sound and stellar bass response. As I said, I especially like the neck on this particular Alvarez Masterworks too.

Honestly, I have not done any side by side of the LL16 and MD60. I kinda use the Yamaha for live stuff since it has the pickup. But keep the Alvarez as my # 1 at home player.

I did change out the tuning keys to Grover on the Alvarez. The stock "no name" didn't really match the quality of this guitar. I highly recommend the $50 upgrade and easy drop in for do it yourself,

Cheers!
Old 07-01-2016, 01:53 PM

Default Myriad

Lots of nice options out there for the money you are talking about. Any reason it is between these two? The Yamaha FS or FG820 (the FS is approximately an 000 size with a short scale and the FG is approximately Dread size) would both be good choices. Neither has electronics if that is what you are looking for. If you buy the Epiphone then try before you buy would be good advice. I have heard that there can be large differences between individual instruments so far as quality is concerned.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:01 PM

When I started to play again a couple years ago, I got an Epi Hummingbird Pro... And I really don't like it. The neck is good, the action is good, construction is good -sounds terrible (IMO). Save more money and get a Taylor 214 or some equivalent model Martin in that price range.

Ray
Old 07-01-2016, 02:25 PM

Default $$$

The OP has only been playing about a month. He bought a package Fender. He is looking at two approximately $300 guitars. All of this screams "limited means." Why do you "headstock snobs" tell him to wait until he has $800-1000-or even $1200 before he upgrades? There are those of us that love to play that will likely never have that kind of money to spend on a guitar. Rent, bills, groceries and all that. Martin, Taylor and Gibson are all great guitars (not to mention the higher end stuff) but lots of us just can't get there from here.

Just sayin'.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion