The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you expect an inspection period from a private seller on a long distance purchase?
I'm willing to buy a guitar long distance from a private seller without an inspection period 49 50.52%
I need a reasonable inpection period, even from a private seller, or I wont make the purchase 48 49.48%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 PM

Default Approval Period on long distance purchase from a private seller, do you need one..?

So last year we determined that most folks here don't need but a few days to decide if a guitar they ordered long distance from a dealer is a keeper, see link:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=381953

But how about online ads where a private seller is not offering any inspection period on a long distance purchase? What say you AGF, are you OK with all sales final on a long distance purchase if the seller is not a dealer?

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 06-30-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM

Ted,

I refrained from voting only because, as a buyer, I would like to have an approval period of a few days and that wasn't really one of the options, as opposed to need. I can tell you that I have made trades that I have immediately regretted, not because the guitar I received was misrepresented but because it was such an obscure guitar that there was no way I could played one locally to get a feel for the brand/model prior to consummating the trade. The guitar just didn't meet my expectations. That is why I now stick with well known manufacturers and models. If it doesn't work out it is far easier to move a guitar from a well known manufacturer than it is from a small boutique builder.

Good poll!

Rob
Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 PM

I'll just say that if a private seller doesn't offer a reasonable approval period, the price has to be low enough to warrant that purchase. At the right price, generally a good bit lower than what a dealer who offers more perks can, a private seller deal can be worth the risk. On the other hand, if the private seller's price is about the same as that of a trustworthy dealer that has long built a solid reputation for good customer service, the dealer gets the nod, without question. Fortunately, I've not been burned yet by a private seller, and I've picked up some great deals. But the greater the risk, the lower the price has to be. The less the risk, the higher price becomes more attractive.

cotten
Old 06-30-2016, 09:16 PM

IMO buyer and seller must talk and work it out.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
IMO buyer and seller must talk and work it out.
Agree- if the guitar you purchased isn't a fit for you or live up expectation- then you should be able resell it for what - or near what- you paid. Always a trade option too. But- You now own it- if the guitar was misrepresented- that is something else.

But to expect dealership style returns from individuals here in the classified? That's just silly talk ifn ya ask me...
Maybe they could also provide a personal warranty and free setup?

What if the seller has remorse two days later- can he demand the buyer return it? Uh.... No.

madhat.

Last edited by madhat; 06-30-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Thats all about the details of the deal - personally, I'd be more inclined to offer a better price knowing its a done deal as opposed to a trial period, or test drive, or "I always wanted to try . . . " - I know I can pack a guitar properly for shipping, but I've gotten some that only made it safe thru the delivery process by incredible luck, and the last thing I want to do is deal with that. I have a business, and I deal with any issues that come up with my product and treat my customers very well, but I also make a good profit doing that. Its pretty rare that I make any profit selling a used guitar, so I'm very hesitant to add any more cost or risk to the table.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Guest 728

The post title asks if I need an inspection period, and the poll asks if I expect one. Those are two different questions.

I would welcome a return period.

I would never expect one.

I would only need one if the seller or the item seemed suspicious, but in that case I probably wouldn't buy it, anyway.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:18 AM

Im an adult an prepared to take the burden of my decisions.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:25 AM

I guess I've been lucky so far. I have bought almost all my guitars used, without any problems I couldn't resolve with the seller.

I own an excellent Martin that was sent from a guy at the other end of the country, it's a beauty and now my "ONE" , it was a gamble that paid off.

I bought a Taylor 312ce that turned out to need a neck set (what the hey, it's a Taylor right ? Still costs over $100 here ) needed new neck pick up too,
seller shared costs, so happy enough with that.

So in summary Ted, NO , I would not expect a trial period to see if I liked the tone or whatever.

Usually I try to confine my eBay purchases to ones local enough that I can visit before bidding,
or at least collect in person so's I can give it the once over before parting with the hard-earned.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 AM

Not going to buy anything sight unseen from a private individual unless it is understood that if the item is not as described, it is going back at his cost.

I have bought from dealers who I have come to trust to know how to accurately evaluate items. I think I sent back 1 guitar in my life to a dealer. I did buy one via Ebay that had a problem not disclosed but kept it since the purchase price was a fraction of the value even with the problem.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:12 AM

As a seller, I'm fine with offering a return option if the instrument is not in the condition as I've described. I'm not OK with offering a return option for subjective reasons such as, "I don't like the tone," or "I think I prefer cedar over spruce," or "I like my Taylor better."

I've been burned twice by the latter scenario. On one of these occasions the guitar came back to me with all sorts of problems that weren't there when it left my hands. I paid for repairs—the buyer refused to take any responsibility. Never again.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:16 AM

A short 48 hour inspection period would be fine to determine for damage, prior repairs or anything not as advertised.

May not return it for tone. Tone is too subjective. If you don't like the sound of your new purchase, it's yours to sell.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:26 AM
G625 mistral-k

I have purchased from AGF without an inspection period however it was understood that if the physical attributes were not as described, the seller and I would work it out. I certainly would welcome an inspection period if a private seller on AGF offered one, however it is not a requirement for me to purchase.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
A short 48 hour inspection period would be fine to determine for damage, prior repairs or anything not as advertised.

May not return it for tone. Tone is too subjective. If you don't like the sound of your new purchase, it's yours to sell.
Agree fully...the forum classifieds would be a nightmare if you could return over tone.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

I don't expect a trial period from a private seller, and I personally don't offer one ever as a seller. A dealer is different, but I'd likely be paying a premium to fair value by buying from a dealer, so...that is a service that has a cost.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion