The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I wondered this as well. can you rule this out OP?
My thought, too, when I read the thread title. But the OP said in his post that it was the same strings as ever. (Of course, people can develop new allergies, so it's still possible. . . . )
Old 06-29-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
Does the newer guitar have a flatter fretboard radius? This is something I had to learn the hard way... Tough on my finnerz.

madhat.
I have a guitar that has a fairly flat radius. My fingers would hurt a bit until I adjusted the truss rod.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
My thought, too, when I read the thread title. But the OP said in his post that it was the same strings as ever. (Of course, people can develop new allergies, so it's still possible. . . . )
Ahh, thanks - I missed that - sorry OP....

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 PM

I don't know how old you are, but if you've got many miles on you at all, you might want to check with a doctor. There are some medical conditions which can affect your fingertips.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:57 PM

I don't know about y"all,
But I was pickin my nose, and a booger bit me!
Old 06-29-2016, 06:02 PM

I developed my nickel allergy after seven years of playing guitar. Most frets contain 18% nickel, strings may have 7%. A first step would be to practice with medical gloves for several weeks and see if the problem resolves. If it returns when the gloves are removed, it is likely a nickel allergy. If you are curious about nickel allergy, check out the previously referenced agf thread.

Rick

PS - the allergy rarely gets better (sort of like poison ivy sensitivity) . I played several guitars at GC a week and a half ago and am paying the price with sore cracked fingers right now. I was exposed to perhaps a half hoiur of playing on guitars with nickel silver frets: Martins, Gibsons and Taylors.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
PS - the allergy rarely gets better (sort of like poison ivy sensitivity) . I played several guitars at GC a week and a half ago and am paying the price with sore cracked fingers right now. I was exposed to perhaps a half hoiur of playing on guitars with nickel silver frets: Martins, Gibsons and Taylors.
Geez Rick that just sucks
Are those SC strings void of nickel? I hope you don't have to play with gloves all the time.

madhat.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:36 PM

Maddy - I'm not sure that any of the steels used in core wire and unwound strings are "entirely" free of nickel as it provides corrosion resistance. I also think that the strings get less reactive with oxidation and playing time - I seem to have a mild reaction to a new set of strings, but it's nothing like exposure to the frets.

Back in April, I attended one of Toby Walker's workshops and played for 6-8 hours over two days and three hours the third day - I did fine and these were the SCGC strings.

I think that my problems are magnified because I wash my hands 40+ times each day (I'm a dentist).

At least now I understand the problem and can recognize when it's rearing its head. My backup plan is learning keyboards and drums! Or gloves (yeesh)

best,

Rick
Old 06-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I find that if I trim my nails too short, I get soreness from the nails biting into the cuticle flesh. It feels just like classic fingering pain, but that's not what caused it. Is that a possibility for you?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
I find that if I trim my nails too short, I get soreness from the nails biting into the cuticle flesh. It feels just like classic fingering pain, but that's not what caused it. Is that a possibility for you?
Dang, that could be another contributing factor?
I have been recently cutting them shorter.
I am not one to offer sympathy to new players about finger pain as it is just something everyone goes through.
This last few months has been worrisome though.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 AM

One more idea in the midst of all these good idea. I sweat when I play. My fingers even sweat. I don't use any lotion the day of a gig so my hands can actually dry out. But I sweat and sometimes my finger tips get softer due to the moisture from really getting into playing. When that happens, my fingers hurt a lot more than if they are dry. In fact, its tough to play a two hour set if this is going on. I have great callouses too.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 07-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Well my old college football coaches would have answered this way..........
"Hands Sore? - You're not practicing enough.........Hands not sore? - You're not practicing enough."

I would just give that - everyday without fail - a break and do something else for a few days and see if that helps.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
I find that if I trim my nails too short, I get soreness
Same for me. I play a lot every day on mediums and lights. When I get sore finger tips, it is due to trimming my nails TOO CLOSE. For me, the nail gets pulled slightly apart from the nail bed and it causes tenderness in the finger tips. Particularly on my index and middle fingers. I have to let them rest a day or fret lightly for a couple of days to solve it. Otherwise I play my nylon-stringed guitar until the situation corrects itself.

Good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion