The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Does it really matter? .....Most garden tractors in the U.S. are manufactured by a company (the name escapes me just now) that builds each brand to the brand company's specs, and spray them the correct color of the brand, but they role out the same plant......
MTD makes those garden tractors (and snowblowers, mowers, etc) that you see in home stores.

I've been in a plant in Utah where automotive oil filters comes down the line. Some then get painted orange for Fram, some blue for Ford, some white for Shuck's, and other colors for other house brands. But until they go to the paint line, they all come off the same central assembly line. Automotive batteries are made in only three plants nationwide, regardless of brand name.

I don't really care who manufactures them -- I happen to like Elixir strings.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Gibson . . .
I heard Gibson's string machine broke. The one they've been using since the 1950's. It couldn't be fixed and they made an executive decision not to replace it.

D'addario now make Gibson Strings, they also make Fender Strings...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 07-01-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
I heard Gibson's string machine broke. The one they've been using since the 1950's. It couldn't be fixed and they made an executive decision not to replace it.

D'addario now make Gibson Strings, they also make Fender Strings...
Funny, because I think D'Addario family even sold their original string business to Gibson. There is a difference between string winders and wire producers. I doubt Gibson ever produced their own wire. Probably was supplied

D'Addario is actually primarily a musical wire manufacturer. They draw musical wire that is be used for instrument string manufacture. They produce their own brand of strings, white label manufacture strings for others, and supply raw wire to other string winders. I suspect that D'Addario is now the main supplier of spec wire to most other string winding companies and finished string products to most other music marketing companies that don't wind their own, probably even into the piano and harp markets. Winding machines are pretty basic and it is relatively low barrier to entry for a company to start winding and finishing their own strings. Drawing wire is a much different proposition. I can't imagine any company would get into wire production solely for guitar strings and their own house brand. The operational and capital costs would require you to supply outside your own brand. The capacity would far exceed the demand for any house brand strings.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Automotive batteries are made in only three plants nationwide, regardless of brand name.
I was recently laughing at my cousin because the dealership wanted $600 for a new branded battery for his Porsche Carrera. He's not that dumb, but felt a little dirty sticking a $100 generic brand battery in there.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:29 PM

Not relevant to the post, Travis, but a few years ago the alternator died in my Cessna Cardinal. Removing it, it said Ford *Prestolite* on one side, and Cessna on the other. At Napa Auto Parts the new Ford version was $165. The Cessna version was $800 at my local aircraft parts supplier, but included all the paperwork to be legal to install in an airplane. The new one had both name plates on it too, but came with the magic paper trail. Sheesh.....

Last edited by Earl49; 07-01-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: danged tpyos.......
Old 07-01-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Does it really matter? Virtually every single brand of VCR is made by just a couple of companies.
What's a VCR Daddy ? Tell us more stories about the olden days !

Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Does it really matter? Virtually every single brand of VCR is made by just a couple of companies. Virtually every brand of microwave oven is made by just a couple of companies. Virtually every brand of room dehumidifier is make by just a couple of companies. They just stamp the appropriate brand name on each before putting them in the box and shipping. But each product is built to the engineering specs of the brand whose name is stamped on the product. Most garden tractors in the U.S. are manufactured by a company (the name escapes me just now) that builds each brand to the brand company's specs, and spray them the correct color of the brand, but they role out the same plant.

Elixir might have their own wire plant. Or maybe they job it out to D'addario, Ernie Ball....whoever makes guitar strings, but they are made to Elixir's specs.
They still make VCRs? Who knew?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Not relevant to the post, Travis, but a few years ago the alternator died in my Cessna Cardinal. Removing it, it said Ford *Prestolite* on one side, and Cessna on the other. At Napa Auto Parts the new Ford version was $165. The Cessna version was $800 at my local aircraft parts supplier, but included all the paperwork to be legal to install in an airplane. The new one had both name plates on it too, but came with the magic paper trail. Sheesh.....
Gosh Earl, you better be 100% on that- I dont think that AAA can help you at 10,000 feet!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
They still make VCRs? Who knew?
O.K. wise #s$....guy. I meant DVD player, but VCR came out my fingertips
Old 07-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Default elixir

I a previous post I indicated that my bud was an engineer for the WL Gore Company, the company that makes Elixir strings. He worked for the Elixir division for 10 years.
Yesterday I had a conversation with him about Elixir's. Four things he stated are relevant here:
Elixirs are made in Elkton, MD
They make their own strings
They do not private label nor make strings for anyone else
Their formulas are proprietary and they do not sell the formula to anyone

FYI
Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
They still make DVD players ? Who knew ?
Old 07-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
Toby's wright - question is - what quality / formulations of raw materials are they fabricating into 'guitar strings'. E.g Mapes in Tennessee supply many / most of the US guitar string manufacturers, but they supply a wide range of different qualities / costs of 'Music Wire'. Invariably on average that'll be reflected in what price you pay in the store.

http://www.mapeswire.com/specialtywire.html

So just to recap - u got, wire components, core and wrap which is produced by 'music' wire manufacturers in various 'qualities' these are sent to 'string' manufacturers and put on 'winding' machines and a ball-end inserted and for 'coated strings' - eh - a coating is applied - possibly somewhere else.
ok got that.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
LOL. My fingers are dyslexic too.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
I a previous post I indicated that my bud was an engineer for the WL Gore Company, the company that makes Elixir strings. He worked for the Elixir division for 10 years.
Yesterday I had a conversation with him about Elixir's. Four things he stated are relevant here:
Elixirs are made in Elkton, MD
They make their own strings
They do not private label nor make strings for anyone else
Their formulas are proprietary and they do not sell the formula to anyone

FYI
Thanks for posting this Kupuna50. great info.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Funny, because I think D'Addario family even sold their original string business to Gibson.
I think on page 2 someone stated that d'Addario sold their original Darco business to Martin ... lots of myths around here as usual.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion