The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Gibson LG-2 AE or Waterloo?

I have one of those "milestone" birthdays coming up and have been authorized by my better half to do a little shopping for myself. I've been intrigued by the LG-2 AE for while now, but haven't had the chance to play one. I played a new X-braced Waterloo the other day and was really impressed. Although I play mostly fingerstyle blues and country, I do like to strum and flatpick a little from time to time. I get the impression the Gibson may be a bit more versatile, and may take to a pick a little better, but I'm interested in opinions from those who have played both. There are plenty of used LG-2's in my price range on Reverb and elsewhere, just none I can find in the metro Atlanta area I can try in person. I've never bought a guitar without playing it first and would really be bummed out if I mail ordered it and found I didn't like it near as much as the Waterloo. Guitar Center has a few used LG-2's listed and they offer a store transfer, but I'm assuming that's only if you purchase it. Does anyone know if they offer the same 30 day return policy on items imported from a different branch? Thanks for reading...
Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM

I recently bought a used guitar from a GC in another state (shipped to my local GC) and was assured I had the same 45-day return window as anything else. (They've gone up from 30 to 45.)

They do charge shipping to transfer used items to another store. (And if you buy a used guitar that's considered "vintage," it's a shorter return window.)
Old 06-30-2016, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played both but I own a Waterloo and a couple of other Gibson guitars. I do think the Waterloo is less versatile than a lot of other guitars in the general style of the old Gibson-made L-00 type of guitars. But the Waterloo is exceptionally well made, absolutely fantastic for blues, and I think is perfectly serviceable for players who are primarily oriented toward fingerstyle blues with occasional forays into other styles. If someone were, say 50:50 blues and singer-songwriter stuff, I'd probably advise against a Waterloo. But if it's more like a 75:25 split, I'd endorse the Waterloo.

One interesting thing about guitars of this general type (at least for me) is that if you play one type for a while and then switch to the other, that latter doesn't sound quite right. So, if I play my Waterloo for an hour and then switch to my Huss & Dalton Crossroads, I initially miss the clarity of the former. If I play the H&D first and switch to the Waterloo after an hour, I initially miss the fullness of the H&D. So, if you get a chance to try both, keep this in mind and give each enough time to evaluate it on its own merits.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:19 PM

the ae does everything and everything well. the waterloo is more or less a 1 trick pony that does what it does very well. i just got a bone saddle from bob colossi and antique acoustic bridge pins will be here tomorrow, time to dress up the gibson and yes the return policy is the same. you can return it to any guitar center i believe
Old 06-30-2016, 06:30 PM

Thanks guys. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and have GC ship one in to try out. I may end up with a Waterloo, but I'm afraid I'll be kicking myself if I go with the Waterloo without trying the Gibby.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfiddler View Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and have GC ship one in to try out. I may end up with a Waterloo, but I'm afraid I'll be kicking myself if I go with the Waterloo without trying the Gibby.
I think you've made a good call. Otherwise, you can't really say you've made an informed decision. And since there's really no financial risk, you've got nothing to lose but the time you'll wait for the LG to arrive.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:48 PM

Don't know which Waterloo you played, but I just got a WL-K model and it is a great little box. I haven't played any other Waterloo models, so have nothing there to compare to. But after reading a lot of reviews and listening to some samples I felt this model would be more of what I was looking for. Very pleased so far. Mike
Old 07-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Cool! Let us know what you think after the eagle lands.

madhat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion