The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: My next acoustic buy should be based on
Fun 11 57.89%
A safe choice 3 15.79%
Looks 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 PM

Sounds like you don't have many acoustics so I'll go against the fray and strongly advise against the 'fun' options unless they also perfectly suit the tone/ music you play, which seems a little unlikely if you play electrics.

Obviously no perfect all-arounder acoustic, but there's tons of incredible well-rounded acoustics, so many that I think limiting the search to Martin and Gibson is a good idea in your situation.

I recently got a J-45 variant (adi top) and a Martin D35E 50th with no plans of keeping both but haven't listed either yet as I love them both. On paper, they're obviously very different, and I go back and forth on which one I like better, but sometimes they sound a lot more similar than I expected.

On paper, a D-18/J-45 comparison makes more sense, but if you're not playing in a band and are considering a J-45, a D-35 (or variant) warrants consideration. It's not a coincidence that J-45s and D-35s are ubiquitous for solo performers but virtually absent from bluegrass bands.

In any event,you can have a lot of things you're looking for. I'm not a fan of the Martin sunbursts I've seen on dreads, but it looks good on the CEO-7 and the Martin amber burst looks great on lots of dreads. And you can get a lot more volume from a J-45 depending on the top, or even saddle/strings/pick etc if that's what you want; if you're plugging in you don't need that and may not eve like it
Old 07-01-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasin View Post
Yeah, go for looks so you can stare at the guitar all day and take great photos of it.
Thanks for your reply. I'll be more specific from now on, starting by editing my original post.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:48 AM

No options for sound or playability?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies, folks! I read each and everyone, and appreciate dabating and discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
Sounds like you don't have many acoustics so I'll go against the fray and strongly advise against the 'fun' options unless they also perfectly suit the tone/music you play, which seems a little unlikely if you play electrics.

Obviously no perfect all-arounder acoustic, but there's tons of incredible well-rounded acoustics, so many that I think limiting the search to Martin and Gibson is a good idea in your situation.
Strong and good arguments. Personally I like to play delta blues etc., but at various events I seldom do those kind of things. Also, I do play a lot in un-miced settings, which often needs a bit of db to reach the listeners.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
No options for sound or playability?
Nope, not this time

I pretty much enjoy all the different tones these models produce, except the fact that the J-45 Standards I tried the other day were a bit underwhelming.

I enjoy the playability of 16" radius acoustics, but 12" don't hurt either.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Well, you had a Martin so why not try a Gibby?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
Well, you had a Martin so why not try a Gibby?
That's one of my thoughts too. Maybe the Gibson will inspire me more than the Martin did. Who knows

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson j45 true vintage, gibson l-00, martin 00l-17, martin d-18, martin d-28