The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 12:07 PM

Default Tried several small gits : Dread Jr, GS, Jim Dandy

Visited GC yesterday and tried several smaller bodied guitars,

Played my first Martin Dread Jr. and was surprised by the tone and volume - I can see why people really like this guitar. It needed set up work but sounded great and was on sale for just $499 - good thing I don't really need another guitar or I would have brought it home. Sounded like a Martin and not another munchkin sized guitar - a pleasant surprise. I thought the scale might seemed cramped but it was quite comfortable.

A/B'ed it against the GS Mini in Mahogany and strongly preferred the Martin. The Taylor lacked the warmth and bass of the all solid Martin but still sounded really good. The extra nut width on the Martin really shows on that short of a scale.

Played a new 000-15 that looked like it may already need a neck reset. There was almost NO SADDLE showing - just enough to provide proper intonation. It sounded fantastic. Someone that doesn't know what to look for is going to buy a headache with that one, I'm afraid.

Played the Gretsch Jim Dandy. I really was hoping to like this one because I wanted a cheap, durable Blues box. Nope, it ain't for me. I liked the neck but didn't like much else about it. It was boxy and nasal IMO - I didn't care for it at all. Too bad. I know others seem to like it, but it's not for me.

Played an Ibanez parlor with a solid Hog top & lam Hog B&S. Sounded pretty good. Not a fan of slot heads though. I would get one of these if I could find a used one cheap but wasn't going 3 bones on it.

Played a Savannah Om sized guitar. Possibly the crummiest tuners I have ever experienced on a guitar. They just felt like they were going to bust bringing it to pitch. Didn't sound bad but probably no way it would stay in tune. $99. You get what you pay for, I guess.

The Martin Dread Jr. seems like a winner and was by far the best sounding guitar I played except for the 000-15.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gretsch jim dandy, martin dreadnought junior, taylor gsmini