The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 PM

Default Pete & Erin Huttlinger's book

I just finished reading Joined at the Heart, the book that Pete and Erin Huttlinger wrote about their journey through his stroke and heart failure. I had known about the book since it was published last year, but I had put off buying it because I hoped to see Pete in concert and buy an autographed copy directly from him. And it looked like it was going to happen. He was scheduled to do a house concert about 90 miles away in March, and had already made plans to go. I ordered the book right away after his death, and received it a few days ago. It was autographed by Erin and came with a note she is enclosing in orders since his passing.

While of course especially relevant to guitar players and Pete's many fans, it is an excellent book for anyone who wants to read something profoundly inspiring. As a clinical social worker with experience with both mentally ill individuals and those with life threatening medical conditions, I found his determination and strength of spirit, and Erin's as well, incredibly moving. I wish I could put it in the hands of everyone who has just given up on improving their health, mental and/or physical. He received the best of medical care, which not everyone has access to, but doctors can only do so much. He far exceeded what they ever expected him to do.

Of course, reading the book now, after his death, was definitely colored with the sadness of knowing he is gone. He and Erin were truly soulmates, and I know she has to be heartbroken and devastated beyond belief. It is so sad that he did not have more time, but one thing is for sure: he really lived every moment of that time. Pete's motto was "don't just live; live well." This book will surely inspire and encourage everyone who reads it to do just that.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

I would agree that this book is a good read and fascinating look into the lives of people dealing with terminal illness.

I had known Pete for several years prior to reading the book, and of course knew the outcome of the book from meeting him back then, but still struggled with what was actually going on while he was hospitalized.

When I read the book he seemed to be in decent health, and I was looking forward to class with him again this year. But having known him for all these years I can say that though his sudden passing stunned and saddened me, it did not manifest itself as a true surprise.

This should be on everyone's reading list.

CK
Old 01-29-2016, 12:35 AM

I agree, I wasn't terribly surprised. While he had done exceedingly well, considering everything, I've been around the medical field enough to know how much could quickly go wrong, and I thought it doubtful than anyone would live more than a few years with a VAD. I never met him but greatly admired and respected him, both as a musician and a person, and hoped I would have the opportunity, so I was always watching his touring schedule. He didn't make it out to the west coast that often, so I was thrilled when I saw that he was going to be in Central CA.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion