The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Default A Visit from Lou777

I had the good fortune of a New Years Eve visit from AGF's own Lou777 today. He's spending some time with family in the area and this is my holiday break week. So we went out for a bite of lunch and then spent most of the afternoon comparing guitars, watching Tony Rice videos on the computer, playing the fiddle (sort of) and generally geeking out to the extent that guitar neophytes like ourselves can geek out.

He has owned for a while now one of the "Stupid Deal of the Day" Silver Creek T-170's which he brought with him today. Apparently he got one of the good ones as it had a nice, balanced, sustaining tone with just enough overtone content to make it sparkle whether strummed, flatpicked or played fingerstyle. I believe he had to do some setup and fret work on it when it was new but now he has an easy-playing, great-sounding instrument that I enjoyed having a chance to play.

For my part I got to show off my current nylon and steel string guitars and play all of the songs in my current repertoire (all three of 'em, that is!) with the only disappointment being that I haven't had time to learn how to use my Christmas-present Boss drum machine so I was unable to perform any impromptu John Bonham impersonations.

Seems like about once a year I get a chance to visit a fellow AGF'er for a few hours. This was my first opportunity to host such a get-together at my own home. I think I can speak for Lou in saying a good time was had by all (even our normally stranger-averse cat who seemed to like Lou although she was confused by hearing guitar sounds come from someone other than myself). Hopefully we'll get another chance upon his next visit hereabouts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion