The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Default Seagull S6..... upgrades?

I picked up a Seagull S6 last week during GC's President's Day sell last weekend for 15 percent below the normal sell price. I really like the guitar and it is a huge upgrade for me over my Fender(Starter kit guitar) I have been playing. One thing I did do as soon as I bought the guitar was change the stock strings out to some 80/20 Elixir .12-.53 coated strings and this made an improvement in sound and playability. It got me to wondering..........

Would a bone saddle and nut improve the quality of sound in this guitar? Would bone pins make a diiference?

I am a fairly new guitar player and do not know much about set up.... but the action seems like it may be a bit high (seems like the strings are a little hard to fret). Should I get this guitar professionly set up? Since I am so new how do I request the guitar be set up?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn70 View Post
...Would a bone saddle and nut improve the quality of sound in this guitar? Would bone pins make a diiference?
Hi buck…
Had an S-6 for a few years, and changing the bridge to bone was a big improvement in it.

I've not found bridge pins or nuts to make any noticeable difference in the tone of a guitar. It can make them look nicer - and that probably is worth something.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM

I have a bone saddle on my S6. Did it change the tone? Maybe a little. Will it last forever? Probably.

Best tone enhancer for that guitar will be to play the mess out of it, every day.

Absolutely get it set up--ask them to get the action as low as they can without buzzing--no need to obsess about measurements. Since that might involve shaving down the saddle anyway, it's a fine time for an upgrade.

By the way, to each their own, but any particular reason why you're going with 80/20's?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=buckhorn70;2527151]I picked up a Seagull S6 last week during GC's President's Day sell last weekend for 15 percent below the normal sell price. I really like the guitar and it is a huge upgrade for me over my Fender(Starter kit guitar) I have been playing. One thing I did do as soon as I bought the guitar was change the stock strings out to some 80/20 Elixir .12-.53 coated strings and this made an improvement in sound and playability. It got me to wondering..........

Would a bone saddle and nut improve the quality of sound in this guitar? Would bone pins make a diiference?

I am a fairly new guitar player and do not know much about set up.... but the action seems like it may be a bit high (seems like the strings are a little hard to fret). Should I get this guitar professionly set up? Since I am so new how do I request the guitar be set up?[/QUOTE

I use bone nut and saddle on my s6 and I like it, you can all ways put the factory nut and saddle back on. Yes get some one knowledgeable to do your set up wont cost much to do. I have not tried bone pins how ever I do install ebony pins on all my guitars I really cant tell if it changes the tone/sound at all.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I have a bone saddle on my S6. Did it change the tone? Maybe a little. Will it last forever? Probably.

Best tone enhancer for that guitar will be to play the mess out of it, every day.

Absolutely get it set up--ask them to get the action as low as they can without buzzing--no need to obsess about measurements. Since that might involve shaving down the saddle anyway, it's a fine time for an upgrade.

By the way, to each their own, but any particular reason why you're going with 80/20's?

That is the string the sales person suggested.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM

I just ask, because I find the seagulls to be a midrangey instrument in the first place, and I prefer plain old PB to warm it up a little...but it's all personal preference.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I just ask, because I find the seagulls to be a midrangey instrument in the first place, and I prefer plain old PB to warm it up a little...but it's all personal preference.
Bone nut and saddle will warm things up . You should try it.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Already got the saddle, I'm actually fine with the tone of mine-- just trying to help the OP.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Already got the saddle, I'm actually fine with the tone of mine-- just trying to help the OP.
sorry my words where for buchhorn.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM

No problem at all.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I may try these on my next string change out.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Bone saddle and Elixir strings is all you really need.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn70 View Post
It got me to wondering..........

I am a fairly new guitar player and do not know much about set up.... but the action seems like it may be a bit high (seems like the strings are a little hard to fret). Should I get this guitar professionly set up? Since I am so new how do I request the guitar be set up?
There is a lot that can be done to make most new guitars play and sound better.

I do all of my own guitar work so it only costs me time and a little for materials. If you're a beginner have it set up by a skilled pro.

IMO, most guitars are shipped with the action to high at both the nut and the bridge.

Sometimes the neck has to much bow and needs to have the truss rod adjusted as well. I like a very small amount of bow - I don't like a perfectly straight neck. But to much bow (or relief) will give the guitar stiff or high action.

To lower the action at the nut the individual strings slots need to be filed a little deeper. That will help a lot, especially if you're a beginner and playing mostly in the first position. This is tricky work that takes some experience and knowledge.

To lower the action at the bridge the saddle needs to be pulled out and I usually then file the bottom of the saddle and then reinstall it.

If the saddle is plastic or if it comes out easily with just your fingers, replacing it with a bone saddle that's snugly fit will improve the tone quite a bit, IMO.

I've been playing since at least 1964 and I can hear the improvement in tone that a bone nut, bone saddle and bone or fossilized ivory bridge pins can make.

If you're a beginner, I think just getting the guitar set up by a real pro and having the nut adjusted, the saddle adjusted and the truss rod adjusted might give you enough improvement to make you satisfied.

A guitar that's hard play is not fun to play and music should be fun.

So have a talented conscientious pro:
1. adjust the saddle
2. adjust the nut
3. adjust the truss rod

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 02-24-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
The strings we installed were the Elixir Polyweb 80/20 Bronze Lights(.012-.053). I looked on the Elixir Website and they show these as being one of thier warmest strings in the coated strings....that is according to the little graph they have on thier website.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM

On my Seagulls (S12 and Entourage Mini Jumbo) I have used D'Addario PB lights with great success, sound was good, both guitars were setup, Entourage had a bone saddle. Overall very good instruments, especially for the money. I have since sold them both earlier this year, to the same fellow - go figure.
Nut and pins are not the priority at this time, definitely change the saddle to bone and have nut slots filed lower if need be, good luthier/guitar tech will know what needs to be done.
Reason I sold mine is my current preference for spruce/rosewood guitars, nothing wrong with the 'gulls.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion