The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Doerr Guitars

Does anyone on the forum own a doerr? I have been doing A LOT of research on handbuilts and doerr's seem to be not only great guitars but a good deal for the money compared to some of the more expensive builders. Am I right on this one? Tell me what you think and give me some reviews of thesee guitars folks! Thanks!

Commissioned
Doerr Legacy Select African Blackwood/ Swiss (2011)
Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Your recent interest in handbuilts probably has all the makers licking their lips!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I met Tom at Newport and had a chance to play a few of his guitars and was blown away. Fantastic guitars. I really can't say enough good things about them. Since then i've had a chance to play another at Guitar Gallery, www.guitargal.com, and was equally impressed then too. The responsiveness, tone, volume, fit and finish, etc, etc is top notch all the way.

Give him a call, he's a very nice guy.

Hope this helps...
Danny
Old 08-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Musical minimalist

what Danny said...Tom's shop is about 30 minutes from me. I stopped by about a year ago when he had a couple done and ready to ship out, including a prototype he was working on at the time. Impeccable fit and finish, beautiful wood selection, and very impressive tone for just being strung up.
And, a heck of a nice guy too. Seems like the guitar I played was headed to Rainbow (user ID on the AGF) and it seems like Diamond Dave had a couple on order at the time as well (probably done now).......

Old 08-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Hey Matt...

I have owned one doerr, and played one other one.....They are absolutely fantastic...and you are right, VERY cheap relative to other comparable guitars...

Some of the coolest little details you'll ever see....his attention to every little thing will amaze you...and Tom is a GREAT guy to talk to.....

I think this would be a great, and relatively inexpensive route for you to get into the hand built market....have fun!....

I expect once you start trying these hand builts, there will be 3 or 4 brazillian taylors for sale in the classifieds
Old 08-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Hey Matt...

I have owned one doerr, and played one other one.....They are absolutely fantastic...and you are right, VERY cheap relative to other comparable guitars...

Some of the coolest little details you'll ever see....his attention to every little thing will amaze you...and Tom is a GREAT guy to talk to.....

I think this would be a great, and relatively inexpensive route for you to get into the hand built market....have fun!....

I expect once you start trying these hand builts, there will be 3 or 4 brazillian taylors for sale in the classifieds
So true...

Commissioned
Old 08-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Has anyone played the african blackwood doerr at guitar gallery? I am trying to make up my mind between AB and Braz... I need some opinions!!!

Commissioned
Old 08-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJohnPaul View Post
Has anyone played the african blackwood doerr at guitar gallery? I am trying to make up my mind between AB and Braz... I need some opinions!!!
What about AB and RW are you looking for opinions on? AB on one guitar may sound like BR on another, and visa versa. Both are dense, reflective backwoods. I owned a 00 guitar with a terrific AB back and sides, but I could not apply any specific aspect of tone to that fact as I had an otherwise identical 00 made of Australian Blackwood (acacia/koa family) from the same builder that sounded almost identical. Both had adi tops in common.

I would make the decision on which you are most attracted to and go with that.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:27 PM

This is the new Doerr that is coming to me this week....thanks for the heads up Danny (drcmusic7)....

Here's a link to the site (along with some sound clips):

I'll let you guys know how it is after I get it...

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 08-17-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM

I just had an hour and a half conversation with Tom. Great Guy! And I put in an order for my first hand built guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commissioned
Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM

btw - the Solace is Tom Doerr's new body style with the larger (16"+) lower bout). The one shown above is the Solace Select is the fully loaded, top of the line model that has all the fun stuff - double bevels on bass and treble sides, body wedge (shallower body depth on the bass side of the body vs. the treble side), premium woods and wooden inlays, blah blah... hope this helps to those who PM'd me

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 08-17-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Default I love mine!

My Florida guitar.

Tom is the best bang for the buck. A good friend and a master craftsman. This guitar was at the Newport Show and Don Alder took it for a long ride....Loved it. Drew quite a number of people to the Doerr Booth. I am totaly satisfied with my guitar, looks and sound. Everyone who plays it is amazed.

More pictures here
http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/nova290
Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I just had an hour and a half conversation with Tom. Great Guy! And I put in an order for my first hand built guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your first (of many I'm almost certain) step in the world of handmades!!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Congratulations on your first (of many I'm almost certain) step in the world of handmades!!
Thank you my friend! I am so happy right now... And I wont even be taking delivery of this baby until Mid 2010

Commissioned
Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you my friend! I am so happy right now... And I wont even be taking delivery of this baby until Mid 2010
How exciting! And if the wait is just too long....there is this new African Blackwood/German Spruce gem available right now

http://www.guitargal.com/cgi-bin/dis...p=tp2&show=315
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion