The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2022, 05:46 PM

Default A recording project finished, a new guitar day maybe next weekend…

Hey there AGF members!

A little story…

Around the New Year, I decided that it was about dang time that I put together my first batch of songs to record and display to the world. I’ve been playing guitar for 7 or so years and writing songs for just as long. In the last two years, I’ve dedicated steadily more time to music, and in the last year I’ve begun to play in an occasional gigging band and play solo at open mics. In the process, I’ve dug deeper into songwriting and found so much joy in crafting songs and performing them. Now, I have a dozen or so songs that are in various stages of done and I realized I needed to commit to bringing a few of these to fruition.

So I set myself a goal: record some songs that represent where I’m at as a songwriter and guitar play in the moment. And the deadline I set for myself was for March 11, when we drive to Boston to see a concert and spend the weekend. And I dangled a carrot for myself if I could do this: a new acoustic guitar…

Well, I’m happy to say that I finished the process this week and uploaded my songs to the world wide web. After many nights of self-doubt, seemingly endless takes, and troubleshooting every technical piece of recording along the way… its done and I’m proud of the end product.

Soooo, now the guitar hunting part may commence! Truthfully, I’ve been hunting for months but now I’ll go with cash in hand and test drive some guitars. For some background, my two acoustic guitars are a solid sapele Martin DRS1– my first legit acoustic guitar that I adore; and a 1930s Maybell that I bought from Jake Wildwood– a thumpy fingerpicking dream.

My budget: $2000. I’ll have an extra grand if there is a guitar over budget that really demands my attention, but I intend to shop for guitars uder 2k.

What: I’m looking for an OM, 00, 000– something that will continue to inspire songwriting and playing and be a solid gigging instrument.

When: Friday, we will drive from central Vermont to Boston.

First stop will be the Manchester Music Mill. On their website, there are are few Martins I’m interested in: two 00017E, and two Martin 00015m. Last week, there was a 00015SM but its gone now. Additionally, there is a Guild M40 and a Larivee Legacy OM40R. I’ve never played any of these guitars and plan to go with an open mind…. I’m really excited and hope one of these will catch my fancy.

If not, next stop will be the Music Emporium in Boston. My budget is no match for many of the guitars here, however there are a few that could fit the bill including a Beard Decophonic, and a couple martins, and a fair bunch of Taylors.
Anyways, if you’ve read this far and you have any thoughts or advice for someone buying their first upgrade to a guitar, maybe an experience at either of these stores, maybe recommendations of other shops, or any other ramblings– please share! I am thankful to the AGF for its knowledge and community.

Cheers everyone.

2015 Martin DRS1

1930's Maybell Parlour
Old 03-06-2022, 06:11 PM

Congratulations on your accomplishments.
As for a new guitar, take a good look at this one.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...tric-Guitar.gc

I got mine about a year ago and I love it.
I also own a Martin D-35 and this is my gigging guitar.
Look at the specs.
What a great value.

It's a Guitar Center Special run from Martin.
The great thing is that you have up to 45 days to try it out and return it if you decide it isn't what you are looking for.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:14 PM

Can't go wrong with a Martin CEO-7, 00-18, or 000-18.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Congratulations on your accomplishments.
As for a new guitar, take a good look at this one.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...tric-Guitar.gc

I got mine about a year ago and I love it.
I also own a Martin D-35 and this is my gigging guitar.
Look at the specs.
What a great value.

It's a Guitar Center Special run from Martin.
The great thing is that you have up to 45 days to try it out and return it if you decide it isn't what you are looking for.
That is a beauty. I don't love cuttouts but I will try one of these if I get the chance!

2015 Martin DRS1

1930's Maybell Parlour

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion