The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
I know someone who has a 250 year old violin, from a famous Polish violin maker, that survived all that time in great shape and plays really well. It probably had a few replacement bits over the centuries.

Turtle
I wonder if the lack of a modern constantly heated home is a contributing factor.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-29-2022, 06:23 AM

I think there are a few differences between a guitar and a violin. It's a bigger soundboard and under much more tension. The sheer size of the thin top makes it much more prone to flex.

I started playing lighter built guitars in recent years, mostly thanks to the boutique guys. I would have had no idea such instruments existed, so you can blame them. I would much rather play these guitars than something braced to compensate for poor storage conditions.

I live in the Midwest and we literally get the worst of both worlds when it comes to humidity. Jungle humidity during the summer with cold and dry winters. You do you, but I'm doing my best to keep my guitars kicking.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
Old Guilds are so overbuilt you could not crack them with a hammer.
My D40c, built in 1979, has a crack in the sound board, after a 2 day trip in December, 1986, (winter in eastern PA) turned to almost 3 weeks.

I have to admit that I did not pay much attention to humidity at that time.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I wonder if the lack of a modern constantly heated home is a contributing factor.

It's hard to imagine how a violin could have lasted for 250 years, in such good shape. That's two world wars, a transatlantic crossing that might have been by ship, winters and summers with no modern humidity control technology. She says it not only sounds better than any violin she's ever played, but it's also louder. I wonder if a Martin guitar will last that long.

Turtle

Last edited by turtlejimmy; 09-29-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:08 AM

Default Here's a roach in everyone's wine glass!

When I moved to the Midwest I learned a hard lesson about humidity. My favorite and only acoustic was a Larrivee D09. Being from the east coast, I seldom had to humidify my guitars. I forgot to refill my humidifier and the Chicago winter cracked the top from bridge to tail. I got it repaired but it never sounded the same. So, I would say it’s all about climate and circumstances. If you have an old crack free guitar, consider yourself lucky and enjoy it.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:48 AM

I played cello in a symphony with a guy who's cello from either the late 1700s or early 1800s - I don't remember which war it was supposedly played during. Sounded amazing, it had a few small repairs but nothing too major that I was aware of. FWIW he kept it humidified. Remember too string instruments are made a bit different then a guitar + the use of a sound post would have giving some solid support against the soundboard shrinking. Less bracing also could free it up to move a bit more freely. With an X brace I would think that different places on the top/back are under more stress because they are fighting against bracing... sort of a brace tug of war. I would be curious the impact of one of those belly bridge doctors long term... along those lines, I pulled out my old cheap student cello last fall - I had it in storage for around 6 years in a dry climate and was sure there would be some issues, but it looked absolutely fine... I remember thinking that was interesting for sure.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:31 AM

There is a certain luthier whose name will not be revealed to protect him rorm abuse who thinks excess humidity is harder on a guitar than lack of humidity. His point is that wood in his shop is dried to about 5% moisture content before construction begins..

I know nothing about any of this. Just passing on an opinion that is a bit different than consensus
Old 09-29-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Why are OLD guitars highly prized for their AMAZING decades-opened heavenly sound? Because most of them were ABUSED for decades! Example, I never even SAW a guitar humidifier until the early 1980s. Maybe they were around, but even then I only saw my classical guitar compatriots using them. Folk (steel string) guitar folks? Huh? WhatÂ’s that thing? That ainÂ’t a new-fangled capo is it?
Just because you never saw one, doesn't mean they didn't exist and weren't in use. When I started playing, the old timers would either put a half an apple or an old wet sponge in a plastic bag with holes poked in it in the soundhole during the winter. Both of these things were common and I still see a few old guys who do them today. Maybe primitive by todays standards but it's not nothing.

As for abuse, Sure, plenty of guitars were abused back then as they are now but definitely not all of them. In 1937 you could get a Martin D-18 for $65. This was right in the middle of the depression. The 18 series was the second cheapest in the Martin line at the time but that was still a pile of money for most people when work was scarce, wages were low and frivolous spending was not in vogue. In contrast, you could get a Gibson built Recording King for $12 and an Oscar Schmidt built guitar for $6. And again, I'm sure that people abused their Martin's back then but they were truly a luxury item and it stands to reason that they were often well taken care of. I think one of the reasons that so many Martins did survive is that they were such a well known and respected brand that many people, even non-musicians, would know they were of some real value and it was best not to let the kids play with them or to store them next to the wood stove.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:20 AM

I still think with the exception of some extremes, there’s too much concern over the humidification.
YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-29-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

…I concur that old wood gets more dry and resonant with age…but not because because it’s been neglected or abused……I’ve played and owned old guitars that were well taken care of and old guitars that were neglected with no edge going to either one in terms of tone….but then again I make a point of keeping my wine glasses roach free…

…I don’t humidify my guitars although I used to….I now keep em in cases and avoid extreme temperature and humidity swings….they seem to do fine
Old 09-29-2022, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Smile Wine and roaches….

I don’t drink much wine, but I would prefer my roach next to my beer, not in it!

Hahaha

Play on gang

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-29-2022, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
Old Guilds are so overbuilt you could not crack them with a hammer.
True to a point. Pre 73 they were a lightly built guitar. At some point, likely around Tacoma era, they lightened up. New Hartford and Oxnard guitars are lighter too. Some really like the built like a tank sound. If I needed a gig guitar, for a band, I'd buy a Westerly D 25.

There are repair folks who think over humidification does more harm that dryness.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-29-2022, 01:57 PM

I bought a 1969 D-28 in 1971. It sat in a shop in Colorado for two years before anyone came along and bought it - that was me. I didn't even know humidification existed, and Colorado is dry/dry.

I still have that guitar, with all the dings and surface checks from 52 years of playing. I've never humidified it. Nothing major wrong; it has taken a licking and kept on ticking.

This is just one example, not a template for long-term guitar care. I would imagine that certain woods and construction designs would benefit from consistent humidification, while others allow more latitude.

Hot or cold, wet or dry - acoustic guitars are fascinating critters!
Old 09-29-2022, 02:20 PM

My daughter converted my old Washburn D-17 to her own and then moved to Denver. After she played it for a few years, life took over her free time between work and school and the Washburn got put into a chip board case and left in a Denver basement for several years. Then she and her husband decided to finish the basement and the guitar was stored in a self storage facility for almost a year where the temperature would fluctuate daily in the winter between 0 and 80 degrees inside the storage facility. Not to mention several snow storms in between. Then I got the guitar back and set it up to play slide. Literally NOTHING has changed with the guitar since I used to play it every day over 25 years ago. Even the finish looks the same. Either Washburns are bulletproof or guitars are just more durable than we give them credit for.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:48 PM

So doesn’t sound travel faster and or farther in water ? ( head scratching ) lol

I recently got a stern talking to from my Luther when my guitar ran into a bit of cracking on the back .

Ironically it’s the only guitar out of little herd that had an issue .

Winter time humidity varies but rams around 30-40 % some times a day or two might get into the 20s but it goes back up .

I now run two home humidifiers but it’s hard to maintain 40-50% during winter .

So my guitar that cracked , not badly though and you can’t even see the repairs but it took 4 years to happen .

So he had to humidify it for 2 months or so to get the radius’s back on the top and back which I’m happy to report all is well with now .

But to point It did have a tonal change when I got her back . I can’t say exactly but kind of duller volume wise ???

It still has wonderful tone and sustain and since I had her back a few months I don’t notice that change any more . Lol

My other guitars are well , are they listed in my signature? Can’t see them on mobile app hope their there Lol but their all solid woods some poly some NCL and have had no issues with them otherwise .

I bought these for most all the guitars just need a couple more .

Guitto Guitar Humidifier 2-in-1 Humidity Care System for Acoustic Guitar Humidifier Hygrometer GHD-03 https://a.co/d/2tlOq4c

Anyway what everyone says makes sense just depends I guess on how bad things get where the guitar gets stored and how . [emoji4]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion