The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2024, 12:49 AM

Default Guitar Making Is Alive And Well Down Under

I'm on a 30 day trip through New Zealand and Australia, and one of the goals I set for myself was to try and play as many Maton guitars and other Aussie brands as well. New Zealand was a bit of a disappointment, as I found only three Matons in the six shops I visited, and none was the "golden fleece," the Tommy Emmanuel editions.

Sydney had some nice shops, but Matons were also a bit hard to find, though I found some nifty shops anyway. But Melbourne, which I was previously told would have Matons hanging on every wall in every guitar shop was not far from the truth. The first shop I visited, Guitar Paradise, had some lovely Matons, but not Tommy Emmanuel. The rep I spoke with there, Mack, let me play as many guitars as I wanted, so I found myself with Matons, Martins, Alvarez, at my disposal. Mack then told me HIS favorite guitar shop was across town, Acoustic Centre. I had nothing but time on my hands and gift transportation card, so I found myself looking at a beautiful wall of Matons -- including two Tommy Emmanuel (cutaway and non-cutaway). Again, I was given free rein to play, so I tried them all. I also discovered Cole Clark guitars, made by former Maton employees, and some drool-worthy David Worthy guitars -- all Australian made.

The Tommy Emmanuel guitars are pretty much all everyone makes them out to be. Even though I like cutaways, the 808TE without felt and sounded better to me. Were it not that I'm still slogging and flying, and carrying a case along with my other luggage would be expensive and impractical, I chose to walk away (shipping to the U.S would have been prohibitively costly).

Still, I accomplished my quest. I got to play some Maton Tommy Emmanuel (and other models) and I can honestly report that guitar making in Australia is going strong!
Old 04-21-2024, 01:25 AM

Excellent, sounds like a great trip!

I don't suppose you got to try anything from Wandering Boy guitars by any chance? I've heard good things...
Old 04-21-2024, 06:59 AM

Very cool. I've never played one, but Tommy sure does!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-21-2024, 05:01 PM

Maton 808 size fan number one here as you have probably read previously....

For those that don't know, an 808 is a deep body 00 size. I have a few including the best they make, a 808 size Messiah (rosewood/AAA sitka). Wonderful.

And you don't have to drive to Australia to get one - Artisan Guitars in Nashville USA, and others, have plenty! (seem to be out of Messiah 808s currently....)

https://artisanguitars.com/collections/maton-ebg-series

Edit: here is my Maton Messiah 808 - full name is the catchy Maton Messiah EM100-808) - the Queen Bee and kudos to the luthier for a brilliant setup....:

Turning the computer off and I am going to play it!

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 04-21-2024 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Maton 808 size fan number one here as you have probably read previously....

For those that don't know, an 808 is a deep body 00 size. I have a few including the best they make, a 808 size Messiah (rosewood/AAA sitka). Wonderful.

And you don't have to drive to Australia to get one - Artisan Guitars in Nashville USA, and others, have plenty! (seem to be out of Messiah 808s currently....)

https://artisanguitars.com/collections/maton-ebg-series

Edit: here is my Maton Messiah 808 - full name is the catchy Maton Messiah EM100-808) - the Queen Bee and kudos to the luthier for a brilliant setup....:

Turning the computer off and I am going to play it!

BluesKing777.
I think I'm soon to become a Messiah owner as well. While not really on my radar, I've just been offered a virtually unplayed 2021 Messiah 808 for 2k.

The elderly lady owner contacted me to see if I was interested. I had a quick look and play and chatted with her for a while about guitars. She is very knowledgeable and knows what she has. She also has an SRS808 that she plays, and a Maton Federation. I was very keen on buying the Federation, but it holds too much sentimental value for her to part with.

I'm going to have another look and a better play next week. I'm not expecting it to sound as good as my Nashville unplugged, and I already know it's sonically different due to the different timbers and gloss finish, but at the price, it's almost too good to knock back. I wasn't really a fan of gloss acoustic guitars, but have changed my mind since I bought my Martin 0-18.

At this stage, I'm probably about 90% sure I'll buy it, and will do a NGD post.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larren View Post
I think I'm soon to become a Messiah owner as well. While not really on my radar, I've just been offered a virtually unplayed 2021 Messiah 808 for 2k.

The elderly lady owner contacted me to see if I was interested. I had a quick look and play and chatted with her for a while about guitars. She is very knowledgeable and knows what she has. She also has an SRS808 that she plays, and a Maton Federation. I was very keen on buying the Federation, but it holds too much sentimental value for her to part with.

I'm going to have another look and a better play next week. I'm not expecting it to sound as good as my Nashville unplugged, and I already know it's sonically different due to the different timbers and gloss finish, but at the price, it's almost too good to knock back. I wasn't really a fan of gloss acoustic guitars, but have changed my mind since I bought my Martin 0-18.

At this stage, I'm probably about 90% sure I'll buy it, and will do a NGD post.

Well......if it as great as mine, the Nashy may never get played again!

A quick look at local shop shows they go for $AUS4099. Give the poor old lady some more!

Or ask if it has been dropped or something....you said she knew her stuff so....what’s wrong with it? My opinion!

Don’t forget to get a pro setup if buying, night and day on mine! One of only two guitars I have ever noticed this - it takes a few songs to get moving it then it is beautiful acoustically.

Oh yeah....I have easier time getting a plugged sound with my EBG808....less tones and overtones for the pickup/mic? But look at my pic above and tell me if that guitar is going to a gig?........anywhere? Nope!

For the ones interested, my EBG808 is sort of in 00-18 mahogany territory while the Messiah 808 is in more like a 00-28 custom?

BluesKing777.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Another Maton dealer is Andy Babiuk's Fab Gear here in Rochester (Fairport, actually), New York. His stock of Maton guitars is a little low right now. Andy is also the author of Beatles Gear: The Ultimate Edition Book, and other authoritative books on bands and their gear.

Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-26-2024, 08:42 AM

My wife and I were in New Zealand for January and it was a great trip. Our third time there and I'd heartily encourage anyone to go if you have the chance. And, the south island is the best!

So, to guitars. It only occurred to me very briefly to even look for any music shops while there. But I did have a Maton 808 all blackwood for a while. I liked the size and it was a very nice guitar but just did not bond with me so I ended up selling. I have to say that the Maton's that TE plays sound excellent but then whatever he played would, including a Larrivee that he's played.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion