The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Default Sending a guitar away

I gave one of my guitars away, to my grown son. He's going to appreciate it and play it much more than I have lately.

I bought this Martin D1-R in 1995 in Tyler, Texas, and for 18 years, it was my only guitar, and the best I had had. I took it all over the place and used the heck out of it. Played six years of P&W music on it about twice a week. Installed various pickups. Upgraded nut and saddle. Cleated a crack it got when some kids filled it with glitter and sat on it, riding it like a horse. Still has a little glitter in it from that incident.

As for sound, the Martin has an interesting sound--I compare it to wooden marimbas. Kind of flat and dull with a pleasing woody sound, and not as much attack or bite when you pluck it. Good bass.

After I got my Allison, which is 10x more "musical" and to my taste, I quit playing it. Even more important, there is something about the Martin's neck that does not fit my hand as well; my new guitar is far easier to play.

So now, I've picked up another guitar I like better than the Martin (an old Guild D40), which again is much more matched to my hand. So, it's time to give this one away, and I feel very good about that!

I will miss it in many ways, from nostalgia, because it's in so many pictures of my past, both literally and figuratively. So long, old friend!
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 AM

I am sure your son will appreciate having that guitar. And you know it is going to a good place. Think of the memories your son has from listening to you play that guitar.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkblock View Post
I am sure your son will appreciate having that guitar. And you know it is going to a good place. Think of the memories your son has from listening to you play that guitar.
Yes, and I should mention that he can play it better than I can, and it is much better than the one he plays now, which is the guitar I let go when I got this Martin D1-R in 1995. (A Fender--yes, I said it, a Fender acoustic....)
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 AM

I've passed along three guitars to my middle son ... he's the only one of my kids who is interested. It's such a pleasure to share a passion with one of your children.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion